College Credits for Certs???

I'm fresh out of the Artillery ranks in the Army and haven't been to college, just a MS academy where I learned my IT stuff. So...now that I have this GI Bill burning a hole in my pocket I'm going to use it.
Has anyone received any college credit towards an IT degree for having certs? If so, which cert(s) did they accept?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might want to check out WGU.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know that my program (Drexel University) allowed you to replace up to three courses with certifications....

Computing and Security Technology - Richard C. Goodwin College of Professional Studies - Drexel University Expensive, but I really enjoyed my time there.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The community college I am attending allows us to challenge the courses and pay just 10% of the normal per credit charge. I am working on a AAS degree and since I have A+, N+, and MCSA, they will give me credit for 7 classes, saving me about 3 quarters of work.
    I would check with some schools and see what they can do. Try to speak with the department chair.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    What is CIW? It was listed in the WGU certs that you need to get. Is it a wireless cert?

As for them taking certifications as credit, they might. They were talking about how they accept the skills and knowledge you already have but they didn't mention certifications for credits in those words.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Talic wrote: »
    What is CIW? It was listed in the WGU certs that you need to get. Is it a wireless cert?

Let me google that for you ;)

Mostly web design and development.
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    Thanks. I didn't know if any colleges did it. I'll do some checking next week. This will determine what school gets my free government money lol. Anyone have any experiences with University of Kansas, Kansas State, Wichita State, Fort Hays State?
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    dynamik wrote: »
    Let me google that for you ;)

Mostly web design and development.

didn't think about googling it, I just looked in the categories of certs on TE and didn't find it. TE is supposed to have every type of cert icon_mad.gif (blames TE)

Is web design skills really necessary? I always thought they had web design guys that specialized in doing that stuff.

I guess I'll find out this fall since I need to take beginning web development for my AAS. I just hope beginning programming and web development don't overlap too much.