mad82mad82 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
70-270 - 02/04/09
70-290 - 03/26/09
70-291 - 03/30/09
70-620 - 04/13/09
70-293 - 04/27/09
70-294 - 05/05/09
70-297 - 05/12/09

I did well for all the test but I passed 297 with a 700 just a few hours ago. The style was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Mainly used the MS Press books, cbt nuggets for a couple, and sybex for 293. With that I now have several MS certs and only 2 test from the MCITP:EA.

I only studied for about 3 or 4 days per test really and mainly only in the afternoon. I have 3 years experience as a system admin so I put a lot of faith into that. That and the fact I knew I had the 2nd chance voucher in case I did fail any of the test.

My overall impression is that the test could have more focus on real work applications (I have never used RRAS before) but it is good if you think about that it is testing on what could your business do with Windows 2003 and not what will it end up doing really.

My main drive for getting it so quickly was that I had just moved to San Francisco looking for a job and needed it on my resume. Thankfully I got a job after only 3 test but I still wanted to knock it out of the way. I could have probably gotten it in 2 months if I didn't play so much Left 4 Dead but shooting zombies (or killing humans as a zombie) is so much more fun than studying.

Comments

• d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thats pretty crazy studied 3-4 days per test. I can barely go through 50+ pages a day because the book would put me to sleep zZzz

Welcome to the bay :)
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good grief. It takes me 3 months just to study and pass one test!
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • mad82mad82 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jordus wrote: »
    hmmm dumper?

I would have done a lot better on my tests if I used ****. I just have experience, good memory, and know how to take tests.
    Good grief. It takes me 3 months just to study and pass one test!

Being unemployed in one of the highest cost of living cities in the country gives you motivation. I never even thought about getting my MCSE back when I had a job.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Improbable but not impossible without ****. There are some very smart people out there. People pass the MCSE track without **** during a 13 day boot camp, so it can be done.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mad82 wrote: »
    Being unemployed in one of the highest cost of living cities in the country gives you motivation. I never even thought about getting my MCSE back when I had a job.

That's how I got my MCSA, incidentally. Congrats on the pass(es), and good luck with the 2008 track.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Why the 70-270 and the 70-620? Does the 620 count as an MCSE elective in addition to the 270?
    I believe it does. It says it counts for the client or the elective but not both so I'm using the 620 as the client and 270 as the elective (or visa versa). At least I think it works that way. I'll know as soon as they post it to my transcript.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I believe it does. It says it counts for the client or the elective but not both so I'm using the 620 as the client and 270 as the elective (or visa versa). At least I think it works that way. I'll know as soon as they post it to my transcript.
    Yes the reverse is allowed (270 as the client and 620 as the elective)
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    That's how I got my MCSA, incidentally. Congrats on the pass(es), and good luck with the 2008 track.

The fear of BEING unemployed is what's motivating me right now. Sure, I enjoy learning all this stuff, but in the long run I'm just trying to solidify my career. If I do get laid off, I'm pretty sure these certifications will help me find another job a lot quicker than if I didn't have them.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Improbable but not impossible without ****. There are some very smart people out there. People pass the MCSE track without **** during a 13 day boot camp, so it can be done.

Yeah, but those camps are walking all over the line between real and ****.

There are smart people out there, but taking 4 days to pass an exam that most people take 2-3 times and study for weeks if not months seems a little odd.

The other thing is that a LOT of the topics on the MCSE/MCITP stuff are things that people dont normally work with on a regular job. Most AD admins work with a single domain...not 52 interconnected sites with subdomains and other domains in a massive forest mash-up.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Most AD admins work with a single domain...not 52 interconnected sites with subdomains and other domains in a massive forest mash-up.
    Only 52 sites... I wish, you should see the insanity that is AD here. ;)
    You are absolutely right about that. I have never dealt with RRAS (before my current job) and my previous jobs were single domain/single site and single forest/2 trees/single domain per tree/with a few sites.

However the most complicated domain setup that I can remember that had an influence on the answers (many questions through in extra information to confuse you) was probably in this last test with multiple sites/single domain but could have been multiple domain if I thought it could have been designed differently. In all the other tests, I never was asked to setup a trust between domains (forest/shortcut/or otherwise), or expected to know how sites work past main site/branch site.

As for RRAS, if you know what the IAS and RRAS and how they work together (which they drilled you on for 3 or 4 tests) then most of the questions come down to common sense.

The fact of the matter is that either 1) I'm a freaking genius with a near photographic memory, 2) People put too much stock in the difficulty of these exams and get nervous and fail because of it, or 3) People study way to long for an exam that they could probably pass with a lot less studying.

My highest score on an exam was around 870 or so. I knew that I had my second chance voucher for every single exam so I went in reviewing the material (I did not even do the lesson reviews at the end of the lessons) with the intention of learning what was on the exams that I didn't know so I could go back and study that more in depth. As it turned out, I didn't know everything since I never made more than 900 but I knew enough from experience, my review, and good test taking skills to pass and frankly that's all that matters to me. My transcript from MS shows passes, not scores.

Yes I could have spent several months reading, taking practice tests, reviewing white docs and going in and getting a 1000 but why?
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Yeah, but those camps are walking all over the line between real and ****.

There are smart people out there, but taking 4 days to pass an exam that most people take 2-3 times and study for weeks if not months seems a little odd.

The other thing is that a LOT of the topics on the MCSE/MCITP stuff are things that people dont normally work with on a regular job. Most AD admins work with a single domain...not 52 interconnected sites with subdomains and other domains in a massive forest mash-up.

I disagree, the main issue with the MCSE is the volume of information not technical difficulty. If you can remember GUI and fundamentals I don't see why you can't, retention might be more of an issue. Microsoft has largely dropped the paragraph size deciphering questions and gone for more technical ability questions too, so the exams are little easier than they used to be.

Two other things, just because you can't do it doesn't make it odd & two, I don't remember anything as complex as you describe in the MCSE. Everybody goes at different speeds and I have read a few similar posts here, nothing suspect, they just had the opportunity to do it that way for whatever reason. I wish I had the opportunity to do it like that.

Congrats OP!
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    i bealive is posible and i dont think MCSE was a big challenge it took me 5 months, looking back now MCSE doesnt and it shouldnt be a big deal is stuff "you must and should know" you need to be prepare and MCSE is something you shoudl have now days if you wanna stay at the edge of stuff you need to keep improving your self and try to be one of the few not one of the bunch than are always complaning about how hard the tests are, keep motivated and dont waste time The most valuable thing a man can waste is time other wise you will be doing help desk for years
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to realize that there are a lot of people doing MCSE-level (or higher) work that don't have any certifications. Had he, or anyone else, done that starting from scratch, it would be extremely difficult to believe that there wasn't any cheating involved.

As long as it's legit, you have my congrats icon_thumright.gif
  • DjScientistDjScientist Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congradulations man.Started my MCSE way back in June 2006 and up until now,am still working on it.I wonder if am waisting a lot of time or the idea of trying to learn as i study that is taking my time.You did very well and like Dynamik said,as long as its legit,you are the man
    Working on 293:
    dynamik wrote: »
    You need to realize that there are a lot of people doing MCSE-level (or higher) work that don't have any certifications. Had he, or anyone else, done that starting from scratch, it would be extremely difficult to believe that there wasn't any cheating involved.

As long as it's legit, you have my congrats icon_thumright.gif

You're right. As long as its legit then its really cool for him and ill be first in line to congratulate.

Im not an authority to prove that so and so cheated, but the timeframe seems a little odd.

I suppose that 3 years of solid day to day AD administration would probably cover a lot of those exam points, though.
    My only concern would be how much of this 3 month cram session would I remember a year from now. I like to take my time and really learn the material, not just get it into my head long enough to pass a test then move on. There's nothing better then when my boss, who has many more "certs" than me, can't figure something out and has to come to me for a solution.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The fact of the matter is that either 1) I'm a freaking genius with a near photographic memory, 2) People put too much stock in the difficulty of these exams and get nervous and fail because of it, or 3) People study way to long for an exam that they could probably pass with a lot less studying.

My highest score on an exam was around 870 or so. I knew that I had my second chance voucher for every single exam so I went in reviewing the material (I did not even do the lesson reviews at the end of the lessons) with the intention of learning what was on the exams that I didn't know so I could go back and study that more in depth. As it turned out, I didn't know everything since I never made more than 900 but I knew enough from experience, my review, and good test taking skills to pass and frankly that's all that matters to me. My transcript from MS shows passes, not scores.

Yes I could have spent several months reading, taking practice tests, reviewing white docs and going in and getting a 1000 but why?

First off, congrats!

Second, I agree with you on points 2 & 3 (we'll have to take your word on 1). These are just tests and nothing to get stressed out over. You won't fail and flunk out of school or lose your scholarship or be grounded - all you did was cost yourself $125. And yes, I failed an NT4 exam when I didn't have $100 to spare. It sucked, but I studied harder and passed the next time. I've passed exams far more difficult than these so I don't get stressed out about them. It doesn't look like you do either.

As for the score, it's pass/fail and 700 is passing. I have some scores in the 700s (including 2 @ 700) and some in the 900s. My personal goal is an 850 - anything above that and I figure I either got lucky on the question selection or I studied too hard. That extra month spent pushing the score from an 800 to the 900s is a month better spent on the next test or with your family and friends, IMO.

Finally, what took you so long? Undomiel completed his MCITP:EA in two days. From picking up a book to taking the last test, I completed my 2003 MCSE in 64 days. You never did more than one exam in a day - several people here have done 2 or even 3 in a day. You, my friend, are a slacker.icon_wink.gif I expect you to do better next time.

Congrats on the job as well!
  • JdruinJdruin Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□

Our forest has 176 domains and well over 1000 sites. We use every conceivable MS product out there. Even with my MCSE, I feel like a total moron in this huge environment. Yes, there are environments that set you up for success on the MCSE. BTW, we have one of the 5 largest Server 2003 forests recorded by Microsoft.
    MCSE 2K3
    CCENT
    Currently Studying: ICND 2
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Finally, what took you so long? Undomiel completed his MCITP:EA in two days. From picking up a book to taking the last test, I completed my 2003 MCSE in 64 days. You never did more than one exam in a day - several people here have done 2 or even 3 in a day. You, my friend, are a slacker.icon_wink.gif I expect you to do better next time.

Congrats on the job as well!

Good lord 64 days? I guess I could have done that if I didn't wait so long between my first and second exam. I'm debating getting my MCITP:EA now or going for my CCNP. Rather get more networking experience but the MCITP:EA is only 2 exams (and I'll need more than 2 days since I haven't used 2008 except in passing on a vm).
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A test every so often is definately doable to finish your MCSE in 3 months. I did my MCSE in 6 months or so, and took 3 exams at the same time twice. I was never accused of dumping.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    My only concern would be how much of this 3 month cram session would I remember a year from now. I like to take my time and really learn the material, not just get it into my head long enough to pass a test then move on. There's nothing better then when my boss, who has many more "certs" than me, can't figure something out and has to come to me for a solution.

if you dont use it you lose it samething a bodybuilding thats why i keep working out too other wise i would lose all the gains
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I got MCITP: Enterprise Administrator honestly in 3 months of real honest studying while being employed full time. (It took me like 9 months because I did a six month PowerShell detour. icon_redface.gif) Granted, I took an upgrade exam, but that's still 3 exams worth of material to learn there, plus 620 and 647.

This is totally possible without brain ****, guys, especially if you have good prior experience.

Congrats!
    Good luck to all!
    ilcram19-2 wrote: »
    if you dont use it you lose it samething a bodybuilding thats why i keep working out too other wise i would lose all the gains
    Or if you cram for a week, take a test, then start cramming for another test you lose it a lot faster. The OP even admitted to skipping all the excercises and just reading through. But hey, you only **** yourself in the end. All I'm saying is bragging about earning a cert in only a few weeks doesn't impress me at all, because it's not hard to do if you just cram and then get your paper cert.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Or if you cram for a week, take a test, then start cramming for another test you lose it a lot faster. The OP even admitted to skipping all the excercises and just reading through. But hey, you only **** yourself in the end. All I'm saying is bragging about earning a cert in only a few weeks doesn't impress me at all, because it's not hard to do if you just cram and then get your paper cert.

I didn't do any hands on exercises in my book for Exchange 2003 because I worked with Exchange 2003 extensively and had already done them all on the job. I can assure you my Exchange 2003 cert isn't paper. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Good luck to all!
    I knew that I had my second chance voucher for every single exam so I went in reviewing the material (I did not even do the lesson reviews at the end of the lessons) with the intention of learning what was on the exams that I didn't know so I could go back and study that more in depth. As it turned out, I didn't know everything since I never made more than 900 but I knew enough from experience, my review, and good test taking skills to pass and frankly that's all that matters to me. My transcript from MS shows passes, not scores.

Would you want your doctor saying " Yes, I could've spent months reading, doing labs, and learning and got an A instead of a C-, but why bother? I knew enough to pass the exams, that's all that matters"
    Would you want your doctor saying " Yes, I could've spent months reading, doing labs, and learning and got an A instead of a C-, but why bother? I knew enough to pass the exams, that's all that matters"

So you'll have a doctor straight out of med school that made A's by studying for years perform surgery on you than one that has been doing the work for several years and didn't need to study as hard?

People on this board talk about how much experience is worth but when somebody actually passes the test by relying on that same experience, my passing isn't worth as much?