I hope I'm ready

logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been at this for quite some time now and I really feel like I am ready to take the tests. My practice test score are not where they need to be, but I'm starting to loose intrest in reading the same info over and over again. I've taken all of the computer classes for my Associates degree, which I've been working on slowly for some years now. My last class was an A+ prep class. Prior to taking that class I read the Jean andrews book. during the class I read the Marcraft/Geek Squad book. I just finished reading the Mike Meyer's Essentials book and I'm starting to read the A+ for Dummies book along with the A+ Bible, and I have been using the Exam cram book as well. I don't just read these books either, I take the practice quizes and do the labs as well. In my spare time I refurbish old machines from the Goodwill and have been getting a lot of hands on experience. My day job is slightly IT related. I operate and maintain network printers, among other things. I really don't think I can do much more to get this knowledge in my head. I'm making this my last week of study and cramming. My last resort is going to be using flash cards to memorize some of my harder subjects. Is there anything I'm missing? Is it possible to be overly prepared? I'm going to schedule my Essentials test tomorrow and hopefully I will have some good news for you guys this time next week.

Comments

• WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    If you have read 5 or 6 books on the same exam, I think you have over prepared. But since A+ is fundamental to being in IT if you've got it down pat it will repay you some down the line. After that Network+ is a good place to head towards. Take the test.
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Remember to focus on the soft skills!

After that, run down the list of objectives and fill in any gaps.
    You should be fine.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Like Nike says, "Just do it!" icon_lol.gif
  • logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You guys are right. I'm going to take it.The next 4 days I'm going to read up thoroughly on my Operating Systems and just take the test. I've found that my test taking enviroment matters a lot. Normally, when I take practice tests at home I have a lot of distractions (kids, wife, telephone), but when I lock my self in my room and just focus on the test I get higher scores. I already have paid for the Essentials test so I might as well take it. Thanks.
    Just passed the Essentials with a 760. 90% of the questions were exactly like what I've been doing on the Cert Blaster, Measure up and the Mike Meyers practice questions. Not as hard as I thought it would be, and I'm psyched to take the 602 in about two weeks from now.

I was right about the testing enviroment. It was nice to be in such a quiet room with nothing to distract me from the questions.
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Congrats! 85% not bad for a first exam, eh?
    Yes we can, yes we can...
    Thanks!
    The crazy part is I never scored more than 80% on the practice exams. I was stuck at 77% for a while.
    Wow time really flies. I was supposed to take the second part of the exam by now, but life happens. I got side tracked with work and moving so I have not been reading as much as I should be, but I am back at it. I took a practice test last night and scored a 76% so I don't think I've fallen that far behind. Hopefully I can schedule and take the test before the end of August.
    It took me a while to get around to taking the 602, but I just passed it this weekend. 814 out of 900. I was ready to take it a long time ago, I just couldn't afford it since I'm not in school anymore and can't get the 50% voucher. I just made sure to continue reading and self test at home. Glad that's over with, now I'm gonna tackle the Net+.
  • jwedlundjwedlund Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just passed the Essentials with a 760. 90% of the questions were exactly like what I've been doing on the Cert Blaster, Measure up and the Mike Meyers practice questions. Not as hard as I thought it would be, and I'm psyched to take the 602 in about two weeks from now.

I was right about the testing enviroment. It was nice to be in such a quiet room with nothing to distract me from the questions.

Good job on passing the test and good luck on the next test in the series.
    As a side note I hate to be the one to point this out to you but Cert blaster i believe is a **** site. You might want to steer away from them in the future and avoid using them as a practice test resource.
  • nx1nonx1no Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jwedlund wrote: »
    Good job on passing the test and good luck on the next test in the series.
    As a side note I hate to be the one to point this out to you but Cert blaster i believe is a **** site. You might want to steer away from them in the future and avoid using them as a practice test resource.

I think you're right. Using **** helps pass the test, but what's the point in passing the test if you don't know the material/can't use your knowledge in real situations?
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    It took me a while to get around to taking the 602, but I just passed it this weekend. 814 out of 900. I was ready to take it a long time ago, I just couldn't afford it since I'm not in school anymore and can't get the 50% voucher. I just made sure to continue reading and self test at home. Glad that's over with, now I'm gonna tackle the Net+.

Congratulatios.

Good luck with the Network+.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog