LOL - got myself a Macbook for $9.99

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
A friend of mine bought an Intel 13" MacBook in 2006 .. just after the warranty expired his screen started to flicker like mental .. you weren't able to use it anymore really. I had the same issue on an old MacBook myself, but it was fixed during the AfterCare he didn't buy.

Anyway, I visited him one day and asked what happened with that thing. He was pissed off with that laptop and showed it to me. I asked if I can buy it and he just gave it to me as it was useless to him anyway.

So, I ordered an inverter board on eBay for $9.99 and half an hour later that thing was fixed :D:D:D

To be fair, I did tell him and asked him how much money he wants as it is fully working now .. he said "you fixed it so its yours" ..

So I got myself a perfect browsing machine for the sofa :D:D
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Good work!

Nice find for sure :)
    though not sure I could go back to a 13" icon_sad.gif For the price...I likely could suffer through ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wish i had a friend like that
  • d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my Macbook is collecting dust rite now. i was using it for like 3-4yrs. after upgraded to 15" macbook pro, damn, it's night & day. i aint going back :)
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    nice lolcat skills GJ!
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This would have been much more impressive if you had received and revived an Apple Newton.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I wish i had a friend like that

He has three Mac Pro and at least three MacBook Pros. So he doesn't really need that thing :P
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    I got my PS3 in a similar situation...less technical though. ;) Good job on the MacBook!
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Nice! I'm on my unibody macbook right now ;)
    Dustin Leefers
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice, you sure you told him that you fixed it? ;)

I got a free 80GB hard drive a few years ago when someone gave it to me saying that it was broken, and I never saw him again. I looked at it later and got it working, so I kept it as a secondary hard drive for all my po...media.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to buy broken 360's, put new drives in them, and re-sell them for 300% profit. Good work :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I used to buy broken 360's, put new drives in them, and re-sell them for 300% profit. Good work :)

Same here .. bought a couple of "RedRing" ones and fixed it for a fiver and sold them with a similar margin :p
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    Nice, you sure you told him that you fixed it? ;)

Sure did :D
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    *rip off* *cough*
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
    Andretii wrote: »
    *rip off* *cough*

Rip Off is Apple knowing about this "bug" for years and yet not fixing it but rather deleting every thread people make about it in their forums :)
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That was how I got my first Xbox. When I was in Iraq somebody plugged it into a crappy Iraqi wiring job and it blew the power supply. He gave it to me I threw it in my duffel bag and brought it back to the states with me. I ordered a replacement power supply for 20 bucks and used it for a couple of years.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've never done this on a Mac, but I have replaced screens and inverter boards on windows laptops for people. Takes maybe 30 minutes to do and your customer will easily pay $50-$100 for it. The most I ever charged was $50, but I do know people that haved charged the $100. The customer is happy because their computer works again and they didn't have to spend several hundred on a new one.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I charge $60 for a laptop (plus parts) fix usually, if it's something like inverter I throw it in free. They think they're getting a bargain that way.
    If it's an easy fix I lower price and they think..bargain
    win-win
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I charge $60 for a laptop (plus parts) fix usually, if it's something like inverter I throw it in free. They think they're getting a bargain that way.
    If it's an easy fix I lower price and they think..bargain
    win-win

Are you still throwing it in free when that is the only issue? Or just free when you fix other stuff too?
    Decide what to be and go be it.