VMWare Virtual Lab

dimothy10dimothy10 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, so am trying to get some practice with AD, mainly for the job hunt but also to help further my studies towards MCSA etc.

Have VMWare Server 2.01 installed in Ubuntu.

1 X Windows Server 2003 (RC2 i think)

1 X XP Pro

Trouble: cant get XP machine to log in to the domain. Used the manage server roles wizard thing to setup the server as a DC and DNS and DHCP (added scope and authorized). Have also added a "testuser" account to AD. Have told the XP machine to join the domain and that seems to have gone ok but upon reboot I cant log in.

Both VMs are set to "Host only" at the moment and only have one network adapter installed on each machine (will add another to the server later). Am very green when it comes to server 2003 and AD so have been trying to muddle through using various internet guides but just cant seem to crack it. Any pointers or links to pointers would be greatly appreciated!!

cheers

tim

Comments

• shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Change the network from host-only to one of the other networks, like vmware0. Just not the NAT one.
  • dimothy10dimothy10 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, so have changed both network adapters to bridged but now they just show that they have a network cable unplugged. feel like i have missed an obvious step here or something. thanks for the reply though
  • shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    No, not to bridge. One of the other vmware networks, that isn't a bridge, NAT, etc.
  • dimothy10dimothy10 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well seem to have fixed it. as far as i can work out i think it was the DHCP role I had assigned to my server that might have caused the problem. removed that role and left the assignment to VMWares own DHCP service and they now seem to be talking. don't know what to do know lol. suppose it is time to try and break it and then fix it lol. thanks for the help
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    dimothy10 wrote: »

Have VMWare Server 2.01 installed in Ubuntu.

1 X Windows Server 2003 (RC2 i think)

1 X XP Pro

Hey, what version of Ubuntu are you running? I have 8.10 and I'm having some issues getting VMWare working.

Also how are you getting the Windows Servers to setup?

thanks
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dimothy10 wrote: »
    well seem to have fixed it. as far as i can work out i think it was the DHCP role I had assigned to my server that might have caused the problem. removed that role and left the assignment to VMWares own DHCP service and they now seem to be talking. don't know what to do know lol. suppose it is time to try and break it and then fix it lol. thanks for the help

DHCP gives you DNS which is important with anything AD related. What do the event logs show around the time you were trying to login? I bet there are errors. Also if you log in to the machine locally are you getting an IP address & a DNS server? Can you ping your DC? When you look at DHCP from the MMC does it have a green arrow pointing up next to it?

You really should learn how to use DHCP in Win2k3 as it is a core service you will probably administer at any company, assuming you are an admin. Post the information I asked for above and we can help you get it up and running.