Anyone interested in (free) virtual training with me?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
I'm trying to get into training, and I'm looking for some guinea pigs. I haven't thought too much about the logistics yet; I'm just curious if there'd be any interest. It'd probably just be a couple of hours a week, maybe on a Friday or Saturday evening since I'm a loser (just kidding - that'll be negotiable). I'm thinking about going over 291/293 material, subnetting, etc. I'd be open to any suggestions as far as content goes, software to use to deliver the content, etc.

TIA.

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I'm game, especially if you're covering 291/293 topics - at least one of those is on the horizon for me. As for suggestions on the logistics...well, that depends - what is it that you want to "deliver" content-wise? Do you want to share your desktop or distribute content files beforehand? How long do you want the training to go on for? There are trial subscriptions to Live Meeting (either 14 or 30 days) and WebEx (14 days), but I'm sure there must be other options out there. Meeting Space would work for small groups, but we'd have to set up a separate conference call to get audio and there's no video. I do have some links for free conference call services - I'll dig those up if you want.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Id be a willing volunteer.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm interested as well. I was just going to start to tackle the beast. Any way I can help, I will.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'd volunteer as well but I would just be the annoying kid in the back who heckles the teacher constantly. :D
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    that sounds fun
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm game! I'm getting ready to pummel the beast very soon, so I need some good last minute training! :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    skrpune wrote: »
    I'm game, especially if you're covering 291/293 topics - at least one of those is on the horizon for me. As for suggestions on the logistics...well, that depends - what is it that you want to "deliver" content-wise? Do you want to share your desktop or distribute content files beforehand? How long do you want the training to go on for? There are trial subscriptions to Live Meeting (either 14 or 30 days) and WebEx (14 days), but I'm sure there must be other options out there. Meeting Space would work for small groups, but we'd have to set up a separate conference call to get audio and there's no video. I do have some links for free conference call services - I'll dig those up if you want.

I'd definitely want to allow people to see my desktop, be able to distribute slides, etc. I was thinking about Live Meeting or WebEx anyway. I'll run through the trials and figure something out; don't worry about digging up that other stuff. Thanks!
    undomiel wrote: »
    I'd volunteer as well but I would just be the annoying kid in the back who heckles the teacher constantly. :D

You'd be more than welcome. It'd be nice to have someone verify that I wasn't just making stuff up icon_lol.gif

Maybe I'll setup a test Q&A this weekend or something just to see how things go. I'm fairly busy at the moment, so I'm sort of torn between how much material to prepare in advance vs. how frequent to have these sessions. Maybe we'll just kinda wing it for awhile :D

If anyone has any specific topics they'd like to discuss, feel free to throw them out. Please do the same for times. Week nights? Morning on the weekends? Let me know what works for you. I'm typically available most times outside of work and Tues and Weds evenings.

Also, try to get a mic/headset as well. I'd prefer a lot of interaction; I don't want to just lecture.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oooo, this sounds like fun!
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Count me in....Dynamik go with webex its fairly cheap. There's a one time setup fee and then its like $35/month. We use it at work quite a bit!
    It's $70/mo ($60/mo if you prepay a year), which is a bit higher than I wanted, but it's manageable. From what I've looked at thus far, that is the one I'm leaning towards.

http://www.webex.com/buy-webex/index.html
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I vote for Citrix's GoToMeeting (at $49/mo - I can probably get you a better price too), I've used the others (LiveMeeting and WebEx) many times before, and while LiveMeeting is actually my favorite, it's just too damn expensive. I always end up comming back to G2M year after year.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Check out Yugma as well.
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I would love to cover 291/3 information. Let me know how to get in! Sorry you have had so little response ;)
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • szmarcekszmarcek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can junior members join in as well? If yes, I would be happy to take part in it too:D
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    dynamik wrote: »
    It's $70/mo ($60/mo if you prepay a year), which is a bit higher than I wanted, but it's manageable. From what I've looked at thus far, that is the one I'm leaning towards.

Buy WebEx

Hmm...maybe we have a corporate discount then icon_scratch.gif
    astorrs wrote: »
    I vote for Citrix's GoToMeeting (at $49/mo - I can probably get you a better price too), I've used the others (LiveMeeting and WebEx) many times before, and while LiveMeeting is actually my favorite, it's just too damn expensive. I always end up comming back to G2M year after year.

Am I looking at this right?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/livemeeting/HA102030111033.aspx

It looks like LiveMeeting will cost $25/mo for the standard version and $75/mo for the pro version. That seems to be in the same ballpark.
    I would love to cover 291/3 information. Let me know how to get in! Sorry you have had so little response ;)

I'll just post dates, times, and any other relevant information in this thread a few days in advance. It'll be open to everyone who wants to participate...
    szmarcek wrote: »
    Can junior members join in as well? If yes, I would be happy to take part in it too:D

...except junior members. You need to have at least 100 posts. Just kidding ;)
    shednik wrote: »
    Hmm...maybe we have a corporate discount then icon_scratch.gif

That was my assumption as well.

There's been a lot of good suggestions; maybe we can demo a different one each week. While I'd obviously like to keep the cost down as much as possible, I'm more concerned with functionality. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the responses everyone :D
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I'll check it out.

although, I'll probably be that one kid in the back row sleeping....
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I'll check it out.

although, I'll probably be that one kid in the back row sleeping....
    Hmmm, guess we'll have to figure out a way to throw virtual spitballs / paper airplanes at each other... icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    skrpune wrote: »
    Hmmm, guess we'll have to figure out a way to throw virtual spitballs / paper airplanes at each other... icon_lol.gif

Bring it icon_wink.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sweet, I'm one of the 15!
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • nash0924nash0924 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I want to be a part of it too!!! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    WIP: MSc.
  • AblesAbles Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, let's tentatively plan on covering subnetting at 11am cst on Saturday. I don't have a lot of time to prepare, so I figured I'd do something easy ;)

Seriously, I don't have a lot of time to prepare, so I'm just going to wing it for the most part. Please don't be too harsh with me icon_eek.gif

Does that time work for (most) people (who are interested)?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    That's after sundown over here so it works for me.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote: »
    That's after sundown over here so it works for me.

Sundown occurs before noon? Is Arizona in a different hemisphere? icon_scratch.gif
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I will be there, man. I need some last minute study tips. I'm taking this by the end of the month, and any help would be awesome! :)
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    I'm game. I plan on taking my 291 (again) next Saturday anyway. :D
  • The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Count me in for 291, I am taking it on June 19th.