Do you have 'Interests / Hobbies' on your CV?

NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
Throughout school, college and now even university the templates provided always include a section for hobbies or interests. I'm undecided on including this, if you have the experience and qualifications to be interviewed then surely including a list of what you like doing in your spare time is pointless?

I'm sure the employer can find this out at the interview if they wish, just seems strange it has always been included in templates that I've seen. I expect most of you to say it's not needed, but I think there may be some subtle differences with this type of thing between the US and the UK, so would be good to get opinions from both sides.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have never seen a resume with hobbies listed in the US. I have been asked a few times at interviews, but I don't think listing it on your resume/CV is necessary or advised.

Might be different in the UK though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to for filler material but now there isn't room so I don't. It is a good idea if you are applying for a junior position or don't have much experience. Otherwise that stuff doesn't matter and at best will only come up in an interview as a way of gauging your personality.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    But I'm so good at whittling... icon_sad.gif
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not anymore. Too many other more important things to highlight.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    All depends if I'm applying directly to a company or through agency.
    And how I'm feeling on the day....

HR peeps (least in the uk) like to see these things, supposedly lets them see how much of a rounded individual you are, now if I actually put some of my hobbies on there I dont think I'd get an interview !! lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    But I'm so good at whittling... icon_sad.gif

I actually had "Video games" under the Hobbies and Interests category on my resume back when I was 18, applying for a tech support job. The guy that was hiring me asked what games I played and we wound up getting together on a unreal 2k3 server. I got the job ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    An idiot friend of mine applied for a truck driving job, and under Hobbies/Interests he put:

1) Beautiful women
    2) Ice cream

I guess JB Hunt must have something against ice cream aficionados. icon_sad.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • mikezmikez Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    arwes wrote: »
    An idiot friend of mine applied for a truck driving job, and under Hobbies/Interests he put:

1) Beautiful women
    2) Ice cream

I guess JB Hunt must have something against ice cream aficionados. icon_sad.gif

HAHAHA that is great. But in all seriousness do not put on hobbies/interests. Your potential employer doesn't need to know what you like to do on the side. It really has no place on a resume.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I could see listing hobbies on your resume if they pertain to the company/field you are applying for. For example, if you were applying to work for a video game company, listing that as a hobby could help you. I think the situations where it would be useful are few however.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A quick tip from my former manager;
    Don't list share trading/property investment etc as a hobby. A potential employee will assume that you'll be checking the stock market all day instead of working.