2950 question

Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
I recently purchased a 2950-24 for $80 from a company who is upgrading their networking equipment. He already contacted me again because he knew I was building a lab and he pulled out another 2950-24.

before I buy another one, I wanted to know if it would be better for me to sell the 2950 and get a model with EI or will I be able to do most of the labs with my current 2950?
Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Comments

• szmarcekszmarcek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

There are a couple of things which you can only do on 2950 with EI such as
    802.1s Multiple STP, 802.1w Rapid STP, Gigabit EtherChannel, Port-based ACLs

I am using 2x2950 with standard image in my home lab but I bought them when I did not really know what features they do not have (not very smarticon_wink.gif). I use them as a kind of access layer switches (and 1x2950T and 1x3550 as distribution layer switches).

Not sure how much more you would have to pay for EI but, personally, I would go for EI :).
  • volmeruvolmeru Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The EI's are also good for more advanced QoS, something I'm sure would come in handy during the ONT course. But these days, prices are lowering on the 3550's...
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I think you can do better on eBay. FWIW, I recently purchased a 2950 EI there for $72 shipped.
  • josunin75josunin75 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You may be able to find 3550 for $250 on eBay. (I've got 2)

If you know somebody, get SMI cheaper and maybe get EMI image from him making

that 3550 layer 3 switch.

Or you can always rent a rack for $10 like in ccie4u.com ^^;;
    =============================
    on to BCMSN ^=============^

<Lab>
    2 x 3550 EMI
    2 x 2950
    2 x 3640
    1 x 2621
    =============================
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    josunin75 wrote: »
    You may be able to find 3550 for $250 on eBay. (I've got 2)

If you know somebody, get SMI cheaper and maybe get EMI image from him making

that 3550 layer 3 switch.

Or you can always rent a rack for $10 like in ccie4u.com ^^;;

Can you do the same with the 2950s? The hardware is the same for the SI as it is for the EI, correct?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cyanic wrote: »
    Can you do the same with the 2950s? The hardware is the same for the SI as it is for the EI, correct?
    No, it's the hardware differences in the 2950 models that turns on the EI functions in the software.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I have 2 x 2950s and 3550 smi which are tones cheaper the emi

3550 smi, are sweet for layer 3 etc.
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    mikej412 wrote: »
    No, it's the hardware differences in the 2950 models that turns on the EI functions in the software.

Thanks for the clarification. I did go download some IOS with our Cisco admin and noticed that the 2950's IOS stated for SI and EI.