Uk Graduate Help

CiscoGreekCiscoGreek Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I wanted to ask for some "professional help" from some of the guys on here on both sides of the Atlantic and hopefully from the UK more... Im a recent graduate in networking who has just under a years experience in 1st support and MCSA and MCDST.. im working on CCENT right now im not working of course cause i just graduated icon_sad.gif anyway this is my dilema i would like to broaden my job options and specialize a postgraduate in computer forensics ( it is a good uni as well so thats a plus) now my problem is this time next year i will be applying for junior job roles such as 1st support and helpdesk etc would I be able to hide the fact I have a postgraduate qualification (thus making me overqualified) and what would i say to cover that gap on the year? This being for non computer forensic job roles ofcouse.

Thanks for the help in advance... icon_cool.gif

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    you can try two paths here really

1st dont leave it off and run the risk of being seen as "over qualified"

alternatively put down a year out travelling... it's not that unusual
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • CiscoGreekCiscoGreek Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you can try two paths here really

1st dont leave it off and run the risk of being seen as "over qualified"

alternatively put down a year out travelling... it's not that unusual

well i would prefer option two.. where would you place it in a CV for example and how would you word it? so more like a Gap year?
  • NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    Unless you have your CV set out in a timeline type format it doesn't even need to be on there. Just use it if you get asked when interviewed. Obviously then you may have to start lying in depth if you get asked where you went etc, and you won't be able to discuss your post grad with anyone at work. Not ideal and lying is rarely a good idea.

Out of interest, what uni did you do you Bachelors at, and where are you doing a masters? I'm going into my final year doing a BSc, but feel quite dissatisfied with the course and the Uni in general. College was even worse, but I didn't do A levels, just a one year BTEC.

I'd like to graduate from a good Uni with a degree that challenged me properly, but think due to the lack of quality and challenge I've had so far I'd be out of my depth at a high level Uni unless it was a networking specific degree.
    Neeko wrote: »
    Unless you have your CV set out in a timeline type format it doesn't even need to be on there. Just use it if you get asked when interviewed. Obviously then you may have to start lying in depth if you get asked where you went etc, and you won't be able to discuss your post grad with anyone at work. Not ideal and lying is rarely a good idea.

Out of interest, what uni did you do you Bachelors at, and where are you doing a masters? I'm going into my final year doing a BSc, but feel quite dissatisfied with the course and the Uni in general. College was even worse, but I didn't do A levels, just a one year BTEC.

I'd like to graduate from a good Uni with a degree that challenged me properly, but think due to the lack of quality and challenge I've had so far I'd be out of my depth at a high level Uni unless it was a networking specific degree.

am i lying as such? I know its like rule number 1 getting a job to be honest but it would seriously put my in a overqualified position for any entry level job i try get .

I went to Middlesex in london and im now going to glasgow for postgraduate. Like you i didnt feel i learnt enough hence my im going a little further and doing something different apart from networking to a) have another job field to tap in and b) to get a higher qualification to put me apart from the rest one day when i enter senior positions.

As for my CV - I think my age is the problem too im 24 (but my cv doesnt reflect this at all since I started uni in 06 and finished now with a job just before for just under a year... so like i said where would i put my travelling part in?
    CiscoGreek wrote: »
    am i lying as such? I know its like rule number 1 getting a job to be honest but it would seriously put my in a overqualified position for any entry level job i try get .

I went to Middlesex in london and im now going to glasgow for postgraduate. Like you i didnt feel i learnt enough hence my im going a little further and doing something different apart from networking to a) have another job field to tap in and b) to get a higher qualification to put me apart from the rest one day when i enter senior positions.

As for my CV - I think my age is the problem too im 24 (but my cv doesnt reflect this at all since I started uni in 06 and finished now with a job just before for just under a year... so like i said where would i put my travelling part in?

Are you lying as such? Well yes lol. I'm not criticising you mate, I sympathise with your situation and I'd be asking the same question if I decided do a masters. I was basically saying be careful because if your interviewer is interested in what you did during the year you supposedly travelled the world, you've got a bit of a problem.

Like I said I don't think it needs to go on your CV unless you have yours set out where you say 98-03 school, 03-05 college, 05-08 uni etc. That's the only forum that will show there is a year missing. I don't have mine set out like that, so I have no place to put in a year travelling - it would seem out of place and random.

This is one of the reasons if I do a masters I will wait until I have a decent amount of experience. I am finishing my first year of experience on placement, but if I was to graduate then do a masters I'd still be over qualified for the jobs I'll be applying for.
    Neeko wrote: »
    Are you lying as such? Well yes lol. I'm not criticising you mate, I sympathise with your situation and I'd be asking the same question if I decided do a masters. I was basically saying be careful because if your interviewer is interested in what you did during the year you supposedly travelled the world, you've got a bit of a problem.

Like I said I don't think it needs to go on your CV unless you have yours set out where you say 98-03 school, 03-05 college, 05-08 uni etc. That's the only forum that will show there is a year missing. I don't have mine set out like that, so I have no place to put in a year travelling - it would seem out of place and random.

This is one of the reasons if I do a masters I will wait until I have a decent amount of experience. I am finishing my first year of experience on placement, but if I was to graduate then do a masters I'd still be over qualified for the jobs I'll be applying for.

well i dont have dates for my school but of course i have a date for uni - so if you have no dates how do you prove how long you have had experience then?
    CiscoGreek wrote: »
    well i dont have dates for my school but of course i have a date for uni - so if you have no dates how do you prove how long you have had experience then?

I do have dates, but due to my structure there is no need for me to stick in '08-09 - travelling'. I have education, certifcations and experience in seperate sections. Where am I going to put information such as that in? It would make no sense to put it anywhere unless I had a personal section. So I'd leave it off and if the interviewer wants to know they will ask.

What I meant was if you just have a timeline (which imo is a bad structure anyway), where you put everything in order (school, college, uni, travelling, work, masters, work, work etc) then it make more sense. Since CV's like this are disjointed and uncommon, I doubt you've got that.
  • tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    I don't think people will think you're overqualified, everyone has to do their time in the trenches. My first job after finishing my masters degree was a 1st line helpdesk contract role that lasted 9 months. I then moved onto a sys admin role.

I'm in the UK as well btw.

edit: I did my postgraduate in Glasgow as well. Not in forensics specifically though. I'm more networking and sysadmin.
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    You will be surprised what qualifications people have, don't exclude them from your CV.

I worked I.T in uk for 5 years (thinking of going back) :D I found it hard getting work initially, due to only having a year's work experience under my belt at the time. Recruiters didn't really care too much about my degree at the time, it was all about having experience.

So, your post grad will hopefully make you stand out.. ? I would be proud to include it in my CV if i had one :P

A
    well i did some trench work! but im willing to do it for another year or so.. i need to build up some experience with a company cause i was only with the one i worked for for about 10 months before i went to uni!

As for the CV im still not sure to add or not to add! Like mentioned previously my CV isnt in chronological order and so the only gap you will see is between my uni finishing and the present date when i apply.

tenrou - how did you find glasgow uni?
  • tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    It's a really nice university, I had a few people and classes I didn't get on with but that probably happens with everyone.
  • suzanemillersuzanemiller Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have researched a lot about these but not very satisfactory results. I am very keen if anybody can share his/her experience with it.
    I have researched a lot about these but not very satisfactory results. I am very keen if anybody can share his/her experience with it.

researched what sorry?