Going to try and get the Network+ done before July, materials sufficeint?

katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have the CBT Nuggets by Hakim and have wanted to get this test done, but never have. So I am going to try and get this done before July. I think I am going to go over my old notes from my college networking class as well as the notes here on this site. I think that will be enough to pass, along with some sort of test prep. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks!

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    This exam is geared toward a candidate with experience, if you have that:

-Objectives
    -PDF from this site
    -Meyers book
    -and/or Sybex book

Should be just fine.

CBT Nuggets material is good and I have really grown fond of TrainSignals materials.

NET+ is a straigth foward exam. You know the material or you don't. No tricks.

Good Luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • NozzaCNozzaC Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't rely on CBT nuggets alone. It's not precise enough in parts. You need a book - Meyers or Sybex - makes no difference. Then you need to do lots of practice Qs. You'll easily pass it with either book if you remember what you've read. It's a very simple exam.
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    It's a pretty broad exam, make sure you cover all of the bases.

Even older stuff.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Having some experience is helpful, but it's not necessary for this exam if you've put in the studying time and done some practice. If you've taken a class geared towards the N+ topics, then definitely is going to help you out.

I have to agree with others here that say Nuggets alone are definitely not deep enough (the videos were great but SO not enough detail and completely missed some topics I had on my exam). Your best bet is to review the objectives and then go to town researching the topics you're weak on - either via some intensive & creative googling, and/or by purchasing a large/heavy/comprehensive Network+ study guide. If you hadn't taken the networking class, I'd say that the big book is a must, but with some background, you might be able to get away with a smaller review book or without a book at all...but it will probably make things more difficult for you, especially if you're not good with doing internet research. (Yes, everyone has the same access to google, but not everyone has the same ability to do research & come up with search phrases to yield proper/accurate results or the ability to sort through those results & weed out the crapola. icon_wink.gif )
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I went ahead and the Sybex book, version 3 I think, and I saw that it already has questions. I don't know if they will be enough for the test, but I think with Nuggets and my notes it should be fine.

So far everything seems like a review for me. I took the Cisco Networking Academy for 2 years in high school (but didn't take the test!), and took 3 semesters of networking classes when I was working on my BS, so I feel pretty confident, but then again don't want to fall flat on my face with an entry level cert!
    katakatak wrote: »
    ..So far everything seems like a review for me. I took the Cisco Networking Academy for 2 years in high school (but didn't take the test!), and took 3 semesters of networking classes when I was working on my BS, so I feel pretty confident, but then again don't want to fall flat on my face with an entry level cert!

icon_scratch.gif

Why would you do all the work and take the exam?

And if you prepare from the items on the Objectives and (are not cocky) there really shouldn't be anything to worry about. The CompTIA exams are straight-forward. You know the material or you don't.

Sybex and Meyers both put out great books, so your Sybex book is a good investment. FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

Well for one thing back in high school, I had a strong case of senior-itis my last year, and all I could think about was finishing school. I still kick myself about this, but I think it works out more now a-days. Also I wasn't so set on doing IT, I was raised on computers, but wasn't sure if I was going into IT/CS/or computer engineering.

Also, sorry if coming off as cocky, but I just wanted to make it clear that I just hadn't taken one networking class at a local community college, but I had some experience, and had taken multiple classes. Finishing school has been awesome for me, since it shows that I really needed to get more experience and certifications, so that's kind of my goal right now. It's a big eye-opener, so I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way. But thanks for helping me focus, since I tend to look to a MCSE/CCNA down the road, but I guess I need to look at what I am currently working more, such as the Network+.
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Objectives + material from here is good is a good foundation.

Im a believer in ExamCrams stuff. The practice tests from their books use MeasureUps engines. Right now, MeasureUp is having a 30% sale ($70), http://www.measureup.com. 400+ practice question engine with good explanation for why the right answer is right, and why the others are not, and links/references for them. Also has test engine that doesnt test what you already know so you make better use of your time, as well as tracking test history. I got it as it has the pass quarantee, not that i'll fail... we'll see in couple days

Once you have an examcram book, you register it at their site and you get 30% off the next title, and so on. i have the practice question book and registered it to get 30% off the Prep book (less filling and straight to the point). These books have hundreds of questions and probably a thousand total.

my 2yen
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
    by the way, the notes for my networking class that I took two years ago are online. Its my professor's web page, and I think it really helpful for some one trying to learn networking. Check it out if you get a chance:

CGS 4285 Syllabus
    katakatak wrote: »
    Well for one thing back in high school, I had a strong case of senior-itis my last year, and all I could think about was finishing school. I still kick myself about this, but I think it works out more now a-days. Also I wasn't so set on doing IT, I was raised on computers, but wasn't sure if I was going into IT/CS/or computer engineering.

Also, sorry if coming off as cocky, but I just wanted to make it clear that I just hadn't taken one networking class at a local community college, but I had some experience, and had taken multiple classes. Finishing school has been awesome for me, since it shows that I really needed to get more experience and certifications, so that's kind of my goal right now. It's a big eye-opener, so I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way. But thanks for helping me focus, since I tend to look to a MCSE/CCNA down the road, but I guess I need to look at what I am currently working more, such as the Network+.

Nope, I didn't intend for that to sound as though "I" thought you were cocky...I was trying to emphasis that if you review the objectives and know...aka = understand...them, but don't merely brush them off as:
    "oh, I know that, piece of cake", and can truly explain them...then you should be fine passing your exam.

Good luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____

I passed today with a 765, not the best score, but doable. Its amazing how low the passing score is, 554. Wow I wish all Microsoft tests were that low. Either way I thought it was a bit harder than I expected, but nothing too bad. The problem I seem to find is that unless some of these things are really practiced, I don't think the Network+ will be too beneficial. Its great for knowledge, and I am sure you will learn somethings, (I know I did), but it has too much memorization, and not enough scenarios. Either way one more test, till I am MCSA!