Got a Job Offer!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well after 8 months of looking (6 months actively) I was given an offer. $35k (was hoping for more, but that seems to be the standard). I'd get to play with a ton of technology and really expand my skillset. Plus they will pay for my graduate education so I really can't complain. I have till tomorrow to accept the offer, and I have to change my start date to Monday instead of Wednesday.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very cool -- congratulations!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Congratulations, Grinch! Do you think any of your certs assisted you in getting the offer?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    grats grinch!! Glad to see people getting back on track with employment!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I have till tomorrow to accept the offer
    It sounds GREAT (when you add in the cost of grad school to that piddly paycheck)! And between work and school you won't have time to spend money anyway! :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL truer words have not been spoken mike! Thanks guys! I want to say that my course work was the greatest help to me getting the job. The certs were icing on the cake! They really liked that I had a security background and though it isn't my main job function I will be helping out in that area. Gotta finish up my CCNA as I will be dealing with the company who will be taking over their network and then I gotta work on VOIP stuff so you guys might be seeing some questions from me soon!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    congrats Grinch, it's cool to see you land this job. We've all been watching your progress and are glad that you made it.

icon_cheers.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Congrats!

But I can't help but to say the pay is very low. I know it's tough time economically. I know you mentioned they will pay for grad school, but it's absurd they the position pays that low, i.e. they didn't deduct your grad school cost from the annual pay.

Two years ago, I turned down an offer for $36K as a matter of principle. A month later I got another job that paid me way above.

But anyways, hey since you're happy with it, that's all that matter:) good luck.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think that seems fair given your experience, and you can make out well if you take advantage of their grad school offer.

Congratulations!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congrats man!!
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Congrats!

But I can't help but to say the pay is very low. I know it's tough time economically. I know you mentioned they will pay for grad school, but it's absurd they the position pays that low, i.e. they didn't deduct your grad school cost from the annual pay.

Two years ago, I turned down an offer for $36K as a matter of principle. A month later I got another job that paid me way above.

But anyways, hey since you're happy with it, that's all that matter:) good luck.
    I think the pay depends on your experience, the company, and your location. $36K usd is about $40K CAD, so take that into consideration too...

Also, with the way the job market is right now, a job in the mid 30's that also pays for school is a godsend, imo.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Tell you what, if you don't like the offer, pass my name on! icon_lol.gif
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man!!!!
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

Thanks again guys! I called and accepted the offer. Start Monday at 8 am and jumping right into the thick of things.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Nice!

Although the pay might be lower than you want, this definitely sounds like a great opportunity. In a few years you will be sitting pretty good with the experience and (free) schooling.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Glad you got the job. Did you try to negotiate any more money? I hope you enjoy the position and it's awesome that they're paying for your grad school.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    I didn't press the pay issue for a number of reasons. First, they had someone else who could fill the position and already works for the company. Second, I first interviewed in December and accepted the position so they knew that I wasn't beating employers off with a stick. Third, I didn't get the sense that I would be able to battle for more money. I did use the low pay in an attempt to get vacation time right off the bat. I asked for two weeks, looks like I will get one. Overall, I am very satisfied and know that if I can at the very least help with the issues they are having then I will get a raise no problem.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    'Gratz man I hope it goes well :)
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    The pay will come, I promise you that. Soak up as much as you can.
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats Grinch!! what are your grad school plans?
    Well since I have a BS in Computing Security I am thinking about generalizing. So I am looking at a dual Masters program that would give me a Masters in Information Systems (could concentrate in security) and a Masters in Library and Information Science (concentration in Competitive Intelligence). GPA is high enough for no GREs, no issues with getting recs, and both can be completed online (though I would be close enough to take a night course). I will probably apply in about a week, though I have until September 1st to apply and start in Fall.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Well since I have a BS in Computing Security I am thinking about generalizing. So I am looking at a dual Masters program that would give me a Masters in Information Systems (could concentrate in security) and a Masters in Library and Information Science (concentration in Competitive Intelligence). GPA is high enough for no GREs, no issues with getting recs, and both can be completed online (though I would be close enough to take a night course). I will probably apply in about a week, though I have until September 1st to apply and start in Fall.

Very Nice! the future looks bright my friend.

Many Congrats on landing this!