Should I do development or networking

thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
Hello

At the moment I’m not sure where to take my career in IT. At the moment I am working on the helpdesk which I'm not really enjoying because I don't get a chance to expand my knowledge and there are people there who stop other people progressing which doesn’t really help me wanting to stay there. Anyway I have recently applied for a junior development job which I have been shortlisted for an interview however I'm not sure whether I want to do networking\admin or development for my career this will also effect what courses I will do to finish my degree at Open University. If I was to do take the job I would do programming courses if not I would do other ones at the moment I currently doing Cisco networking which I really enjoying and learning alot.

I was just looking for some advice from people are doing either role and could give me some advice which one would be the best

Thanks
Tom

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I dont have programming experience but one thing I can tell you is the job market for developer jobs is way bigger than for networking jobs. Go to dice, monster and any other major job search and you will see. Developer jobs are easy to come by whereas the competition for the few networking jobs is fierce.

Keep in mind this is what Im finding for areas in Florida but it looks to hold true for most major cities.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I dont have programming experience but one thing I can tell you is the job market for developer jobs is way bigger than for networking jobs. Go to dice, monster and any other major job search and you will see. Developer jobs are easy to come by whereas the competition for the few networking jobs is fierce.

Keep in mind this is what Im finding for areas in Florida but it looks to hold true for most major cities.

These are the most outsourced jobs too, in my experience.
  • pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I think Networking may be a smart choice as all of us system administrators(server and desktop), developers, database all depend on the networking piece or we are all out of luck. Learn Cisco if you think you may be interested. If I were you I would watch a CBT Nugget on Cisco stuff and see if you find it interesting. Watch it for learning and seeing if you would want to go that route for a career and not to pass a test.

That being said maybe the Network+ would be interesting as it starts down the road and leads into more advanced certifications.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....