Sun Java EXAMS !!!!

CS.StudentCS.Student Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello all,

i was wondering which exam shall i take, SCJA or SCJP, until now there is nothing fixed !! and i need to restudy what i have been studied one year ago !! icon_study.gif

anyway,
i'm having some qusteions icon_rolleyes.gif

a) how long will it take to prepare for Sun Certificate Java exam.
b) which books/website links are useful for preparing for the exam.
i'm having Detail and deatil book .. is it enough??
c) i knew that there are some practice exams and labs, from where can i got them?
d) whats the difference between Java 5 and 6 !!
and how to choose out from this list one exam that will be sutible for me.
---
- Sun Certified Programmer for the Java Platform, Standard Edition 6
(CX-310-065) - NEW!
- Upgrade Exam: Sun Certified Programmer for the Java Platform, Standard Edition 6 (CX-310-066) - NEW!
- Sun Certified Programmer for the Java Platform, Standard Edition 5.0 (CX-310-055)
- Upgrade Exam: Sun Certified Programmer for the Java Platform, Standard Edition 5.0 (
CX-310-056)
----
e) there is no offical sun office in my country, as i knew few hours ago, can i still have a chance to do the exam by myself?
and what is the exam cost?

thats for now, thank you in advance.icon_wink.gif

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The SCJA is a very basic exam that anyone with two college semesters of Java programming could probably pass. The SCJP is more advanced and more well-respected among Java programmers. Being that each of these exams are $300US apiece, you might consider that the SCJA is not worth the price.

As to your other questions:

a) This depends on how much Java knowledge and prograqmming experience you already have, how well you study, and what study materials you use.

b) If you are a Java beginner, www.javaranch.com is a great place to start, otherwise stay with the Java certification study guides available on amazon.com.

c) Practice exams: Web-based Practice Exams. You need to become familiar with all of the Java certification resources at Sun's site.

d) Java 6 is the newest release. Everything you study and test for should be Java 6. Only go Java 5 is you have to maintain Java 5 code in legacy applications that will not be updated to Java 6.

e) Contact Sun and ask.

Be sure to ready the sticky post for this forum: http://www.techexams.net/forums/sun-microsystems-java-certification/22329-sun-java-certifications-info-resources.html
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    CS.Student wrote: »
    h
    e) there is no offical sun office in my country, as i knew few hours ago, can i still have a chance to do the exam by myself?
    and what is the exam cost?

Locate Sun partners in your area, and ask them for exam vouchers :

Sun Microsystems - Sun Partner Directory
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• CS.StudentCS.Student Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The SCJA is a very basic exam that anyone with two college semesters of Java programming could probably pass. The SCJP is more advanced and more well-respected among Java programmers. Being that each of these exams are $300US apiece, you might consider that the SCJA is not worth the price.

a) This depends on how much Java knowledge and prograqmming experience you already have, how well you study, and what study materials you use.

b) If you are a Java beginner, www.javaranch.com is a great place to start, otherwise stay with the Java certification study guides available on amazon.com.

c) Practice exams: Web-based Practice Exams. You need to become familiar with all of the Java certification resources at Sun's site.

d) Java 6 is the newest release. Everything you study and test for should be Java 6. Only go Java 5 is you have to maintain Java 5 code in legacy applications that will not be updated to Java 6.

e) Contact Sun and ask.

Be sure to ready the sticky post for this forum: http://www.techexams.net/forums/sun-microsystems-java-certification/22329-sun-java-certifications-info-resources.html

thnx alllot icon_cheers.gif
    This depends on how much Java knowledge and prograqmming experience you already have, how well you study, and what study materials you use.

icon_rolleyes.gifi have worked only for 4-5 months
    with no projects, but some assignements.
    and the materials were not too much !!
    - introduction
    - application and applets
    - simple programming
    - Programming concepts
    - GUI

i will start with JAvaranch for time being.:)

ok.

so it doesnt do any thing with what we studied
    its only a release of Exam Versions. isnt it? icon_exclaim.gif

e) Contact Sun and ask.

i found it :)
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Locate Sun partners in your area, and ask them for exam vouchers :

Sun Microsystems - Sun Partner Directory

got it icon_wink.gif
    thnx
    CS.Student wrote: »
    so it doesnt do any thing with what we studied
    its only a release of Exam Versions. isnt it? icon_exclaim.gif
    Java 6 is version 1.6 of Java itself, not the exam version.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Java 6 is version 1.6 of Java itself, not the exam version.
    I'm just a couple weeks into my second semester of Java so I'm pretty new to the subject matter and the versions, and I have to say, this confused me a little bit as well. I've also been looking into Sun Java certifications as a possibility, and SCJA is probably about all I would be able to handle at this point. In the future, if I continue down the programming road and continue to like Java as much as I do now, then I might go further with it and do the SCJP but that's a ways down the road I think.

There are some great resource links in this thread, thanks a bunch to all. I had come across JavaRanch before and it's pretty damn awesome - I plan to be spending some time there to supplement my in class studies.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    I'm actually very new to Java myself. I've been looking at Java for the past ten years, but I've never gotten on a software project that used it until a few months also. Fortunately, the years I spent on C# programming are extremely helpful in transitioning to Java. I'm actually enjoying learning Java (and Eclipse and NetBeans) quite a bit, but I'm not sure if I'll bother with any of the certs for it--unless I can find some vouchers with significant discounts.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tagging this for later...looks like I'm going to have to pick up SCJA, and it has been many years since my two semesters of Java.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Tagging this for later...looks like I'm going to have to pick up SCJA, and it has been many years since my two semesters of Java.
    Hmm, I'm curious - are you going after a position that requires SCJA? Would you mind elaborating a little?

skrpune wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm curious - are you going after a position that requires SCJA? Would you mind elaborating a little?

Nope...it looks like I'll need it for credit towards by BS at WGU whenever I finally enroll.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Nope...it looks like I'll need it for credit towards by BS at WGU whenever I finally enroll.

Why pay for this exam yourself? If the only reason why you want this cert is to satisfy WGU's requirements, then just take the WGU course and let them pay for the voucher.
    Usus magister est optimus
    apena7 wrote: »
    Why pay for this exam yourself? If the only reason why you want this cert is to satisfy WGU's requirements, then just take the WGU course and let them pay for the voucher.
    I imagine that the class is *much* more expensive than the cert exam. If you are going for a degree from a place with an academic-credits-for-certs marketing plan, you might as well go the cheapest route and get the certs first.
    I imagine that the class is *much* more expensive than the cert exam. If you are going for a degree from a place with an academic-credits-for-certs marketing plan, you might as well go the cheapest route and get the certs first.
    It's about $6K/year before books, just under $3K per semester. So if you can shorten the timeframe that you're in school, then you save some moolah. I guess each individual person has to evaluate what it would cost for them to fund/do certification on their own vs doing it while enrolled at WGU, and whether they need a deadline or the semi-structure of an online program to motivate themselves to do it.

apena7 wrote: »

I just tagged this thread to use an additional resource after I enroll in WGU and sign up for the course that requires SCJA. I don't think I'll be taking the exam before enrolling; however, I am taking/paying for all of my MCSE exams before enrolling. I already purchased all my MCSE books, CBT Nuggets, and Transcender, so I figured I'll save on tuition and not enroll until I've finished my MCSE. After that, I'll take advantage of the exams being covered by tuition.
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    JDMurray, at WGU you're paying for the semester and not each class, so it's a sunk cost.
    skrpune wrote: »
    It's about $6K/year before books, just under $3K per semester. So if you can shorten the timeframe that you're in school, then you save some moolah. I guess each individual person has to evaluate what it would cost for them to fund/do certification on their own vs doing it while enrolled at WGU, and whether they need a deadline or the semi-structure of an online program to motivate themselves to do it.

Exactly. My mindset is if you're attending WGU and studying for an exam that is class credit for WGU, then take the class at WGU. Not only will the exam be covered, but you'll get their resources as well (Sun Academic Initiative, Books24x7). On the other hand, if you like to take your time and not worry about making the deadline, then by all means study on your own time. It's better than cramming at the last minute or learning just to make the pass (which is horrible).

But bwcarty has the right idea. Good luck with the MCSE!
    Usus magister est optimus
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Locate Sun partners in your area, and ask them for exam vouchers

...or Discount Sun Microsystems Exam Vouchers at GetCertify4Less.com
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Software development seems to be doing well considering the economic situation. I see lots of need for developers. My dad is Sr. Java Developer and is doing very well.

This will definitely pay off for you guys. I want to take development classes after my networking degree is finished.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
    Everyone working in IT should attempt to discover if they like programming or not. There are a lot of very good--yet unrealized--programmers out there. Some of them are not even working in IT. If you really like it, learning how to write software is very useful and marketable skill to develop.
  • MinnieChenMinnieChen Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Helpful!!!

e) Contact Sun and ask.