First Day Done!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well, I completed my first day. Was a bit hectic, but I solved a couple of problems and get to work on Saturday (not 100% on the Saturday as things change quickly). I'll be learning a lot of different things and they have been seeking my input on various things as well. Glad I took the job!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    What's the job role and are you working with Cisco kit?
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Glad you had a good day! :D
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bring us up to speed grinch! You must be glad day one is over!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well the company is going through 3 major migrations. First, they are moving to a building down the street. Second, they are moving from a legacy ERP system to Microsoft Dynamics 2009. I have to learn to use it, troubleshoot it, and program it. Finally, they are redoing the network since their current one is terribly out of date. They implemented VOIP (not Cisco based and managed by an outside firm) and the network came to just about a screeching halt. Thus new network configuration, plus more bandwidth. The network will be managed by an outside firm, but I'll be helping in that department. I'm also now the pointman for any issues they have with the phones. It also appears that I will be the first line tech support guy, since they will be using the outside firm less for that job. Finally, I get to help out with security. So lots of experience, responsibility, and work in the future for me.

I'm taking it in stride and one day at a time. Luckily they are a small company thus I don't have that many users to support on the tech support side and I can still push some of that to the old firm since they are serving as a 2nd line tech support. Main focus is to get up to speed on Dynamics and iron out the network issues. Hoping to be settled in so I can begin some Master's level work. But I will have lots of experience on the resume so in a few years if I move on I won't have to hear about not enough experience!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    Excellent, good for you. I've just got my first significant stretch of experience and my CV looks much healthier for when I leave uni so I know the feeling.

Hope it all goes well icon_wink.gif
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Glad your first day went good man. Get to get your feet wet in alot of different areas
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

Yeah, day two went pretty good. I've basically confirmed that I am now the tech support guy or at least first line. I'm also going to be the go to person for Dynamics. Only thing that sucks is I am the guy to handle the VOIP issues, but that amounts to me sending an e-mail to the support people at the company who is running it. Also, looks like I got my hours locked down finally. Overall, I was a little over whelmed in the beginning of the day, but once one of my bosses was like just relax we don't expect you to learn all of this (I was learning to format the daily and weekly reports) today, I chilled out and the rest of the day went smoothly. Solved a couple of problems (added a network printer to the last computer that needed it in that department, was able to remove Symantec Antivirus from a computer that the consultant couldn't, and help to complete 3 of the 4 machines being sent to the California branch), talked to a bunch of people, and sadly didn't get a lunch break lol!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    and sadly didn't get a lunch break lol!

Welcome to IT my friend..... icon_wink.gif
  • BdeadbuddyBdeadbuddy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Glad you like your new job Grinch... helps to keep a minimum of sanity !!

I've been working at my first IT job since a year and half now, and enjoy it most of the time ! End user are starting to get on my nerves more quickly with the minor issues. Luckily i've been hired as a junior Site support and already managed to move up the ladder and get my hands dirty on some servers and i'm more level 2-3 tech. When the other guy can't figure out what to do i'm their man !! that's good for the self esteem ! icon_cheers.gif
    So as you said... get as much Exp you can get, be nosy, be curious and hard worker and it shouldn't be long before they give you more interesting stuff. Keep it up !!
    Only thing that sucks is I am the guy to handle the VOIP issues
    What's the platform they're using ???
    we're using I3 for most of our business user, and the call center is using Avaya. It's good cuz it gives a good idea of both technology, even though i don't really have to take care of the avaya platform for now... i really like I3 thought !!
    and sadly didn't get a lunch break lol!

Yup... that's how it goes... that or the countless lunch at your desk while doing 5 different stuff at the same time... not only the PC is doing multitasking but so are we man!! icon_lol.gif
    Still, i'd never go back to do what i used to do before... Long live to IT

Cheers
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bdeadbuddy wrote: »
    Yup... that's how it goes... that or the countless lunch at your desk while doing 5 different stuff at the same time... not only the PC is doing multitasking but so are we man!! icon_lol.gif
    Still, i'd never go back to do what i used to do before... Long live to IT

Cheers

This is often the best part of my day. Since we are a 3 man crew for 40 offices, 1500 users - we all handle phone calls on a round robin basis so lunch is a great time for me because I can put my phone on DND and actually accomplish things without being interrupted (usually). If I'm not busy working on something either for work or watching a CBT or doing a lab during my lunch - it just doesn't feel right.
    Well I lack an actual desk or computer, but once I get an official place then I will at least have some place to work and eat. Currently I am in a conference room (also called the war room) where the consultants come in for meetings, people come in to train, and sometime people just come in. This often means taking over my computer for said things. But don't think I'm complaining because it's really not a big deal. Plus it gives me a chance to meet all the various people who work for the company.

As far as VOIP equipment I really couldn't tell you what we have beyond the phones we use. The company that controls it, hosts it off site. My day varies, people are nice, and I haven't come across many computer issues thus far. If I've handle 4 or 5 in two days, I'd be surprised. The other guy has looked at a couple of things, but I'm use to school districts where doing 50 trouble tickets a day is a light load. Gotta use this time to really start learning Dynamics!

As always, thanks for all the support guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff