Dialer Interface

gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
After a long break from studying...mostly because of lazyness icon_redface.gif
I'm finally getting back to my ISCW studies.

Can anyone explain to me what the purpose or solution dialer interfaces provide? I'm trying to figure out why its necesarry or what advantage one would have with seperating a physical and logical interfaces only to tie them back together with a dialer pool?

Why not just assign the logical dialer configuration to the physical interface?

I know there must me an advantage of doing it this way, but i'm not sure what it would be. If someone could elaborate or give me a pratical example of its usefulness that would be great!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome back, slacker! I was just thinking what a long time it's been since you posted last ;)
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks :D you gonna answer my icon_confused.gif: icon_razz.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gojericho0 wrote: »
    Thanks :D you gonna answer my icon_confused.gif: icon_razz.gif

Does my CCENT make me qualified!? icon_lol.gif
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gojericho0 wrote: »
    After a long break from studying...mostly because of lazyness icon_redface.gif
    I'm finally getting back to my ISCW studies.

Can anyone explain to me what the purpose or solution dialer interfaces provide? I'm trying to figure out why its necesarry or what advantage one would have with seperating a physical and logical interfaces only to tie them back together with a dialer pool?

Why not just assign the logical dialer configuration to the physical interface?

I know there must me an advantage of doing it this way, but i'm not sure what it would be. If someone could elaborate or give me a pratical example of its usefulness that would be great!

Dialer interface is a nice feature if you have a PRI that receives and makes calls to and from different locations with different subnets. With legacy you could have a main IP address under the interface with several secondary addresses. This could work but it would give you problems when using a routing protocol. If you tried to add a secondary network to the routing protocol it wouldn't work because the physical interface always uses its primary address when sending out a packet.

Dialer interfaces solve the primary IP/secondary IP quandary because each dialer interface can have its own primary IP address and you dont then need dialer map commands
    Thanks Turgon!
  • joshgibson82joshgibson82 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    turgon wrote: »
    dialer interface is a nice feature if you have a pri that receives and makes calls to and from different locations with different subnets. With legacy you could have a main ip address under the interface with several secondary addresses. This could work but it would give you problems when using a routing protocol. If you tried to add a secondary network to the routing protocol it wouldn't work because the physical interface always uses its primary address when sending out a packet.

Dialer interfaces solve the primary ip/secondary ip quandary because each dialer interface can have its own primary ip address and you dont then need dialer map commands

great answer!
    Josh, CCNP CWNA
    ok, one more questions. What is the difference/benefits between dialer interfaces and virtual templates?