VMWare Server free --> VMWare Server ESX

rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
Hello all,
in the last four days I pulled a good knowledge on VMWare Server 2 free and made some VMs without too much difficulties; I read from the initial to the last page the guide downloaded from vmware.com too.
Because in the future I would like to take the VCP cert, I would want ask how much of what I learned is spendable as knowledge on a VCP cert.

Thanks much.
Pork 3
Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    rjbarlow wrote: »
    Hello all,
    in the last four days I pulled a good knowledge on VMWare Server 2 free and made some VMs without too much difficulties; I read from the initial to the last page the guide downloaded from vmware.com too.
    Because in the future I would like to take the VCP cert, I would want ask how much of what I learned is spendable as knowledge on a VCP cert.

Thanks much.

Quite a bit actually. You can learn about stuff like virtual CPUs and how more/less can help and hurt performance. You can get some concepts of RAM allocations, the importance of installing vmtools, some basics with virtual networking, etc. You can also do some P2V's, too.

But there is still a significant jump from VMware Server to ESX and Virtual Infrastructure/vSphere.

A coworker of mine has been to VI3.5 training, while I've only been to VI3 training. We're both VCPs. He's actually done more more VI3 deployments than I have. But it's amazing that there's quite a bit of stuff I've internalized that he hasn't with ESX, and I think the reason is I've been messing with VMware Server for years as well as Microsoft Virtual Server 2005, where he's done quite a bit less with those in his past.
    Good luck to all!
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Great info HeroPsycho.

Thank You.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rjbarlow wrote: »
    Great info HeroPsycho.

Thank You.

There is also a very significant difference between "minimum and maximums" of both, vmware server and esx ... The best way to study for your VCP is obviously reading all those PDFs and actually set it up ...

A step-by-step setup guide can be found here :

Click Click

Bear in mind, you can install ESX in vmware workstation as well and you can work with the 60 day trial so technically you can study it for free (well apart from the mandatory course of course).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    There is also a very significant difference between "minimum and maximums" of both, vmware server and esx ... The best way to study for your VCP is obviously reading all those PDFs and actually set it up ...

A step-by-step setup guide can be found here :

Click Click

Bear in mind, you can install ESX in vmware workstation as well and you can work with the 60 day trial so technically you can study it for free (well apart from the mandatory course of course).
    OK, good to know, thanks you too man.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music