Options

What flavor linux to study for the Linux+ exam?

lespaulman74lespaulman74 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Im planning taking the Linux+ exam at the end of this month - question is, what flavor of Linux do you recommend I study from?

- Fedora
- Debian
- Suse
- centOS
- RedHat
- other....

Or it doesnt matter?

Comments

• Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I would use one RedHat-based, and one Debian-based so that you can expose yourself to the two packaging systems. Centos 5.3, and Debian 5.0 would be two good choices.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    I would use one RedHat-based, and one Debian-based so that you can expose yourself to the two packaging systems. Centos 5.3, and Debian 5.0 would be two good choices.

For sure. They hit RPM hard, but you should definitely broaden your horizons a bit.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    An older version of CentOS would be the most accurate to the exam and the material. CentOS3 I would think would be reasonable.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    UnixGeek wrote: »

Definitely good advice, you'll be seeing a LOT of RPM and Debian-package question on the exam. As a little bit of extra training, I can recommend getting yourself a copy of Slackware as well. While you can compile apps from scratch on other distros, there's nothing like learning through "trial-by-fire" on a distro that doesn't come with a fully-featured package manager and you have to make everything work right without hand-holding. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.