LPIC Study Group?

walid97walid97 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I am starting LPIC-1 soon and planing to take the whole LPI certifications, so I thought a Study Group would be an awesome idea.
Anyone interested?

It's still just an idea, I am not sure how feasible it is.

Anyway, if you are interested, please let me know.

Thank you.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    walid97 wrote: »
    Hey,

I am starting LPIC-1 soon and planing to take the whole LPI certifications, so I thought a Study Group would be an awesome idea.
    Anyone interested?

It's still just an idea, I am not sure how feasible it is.

Anyway, if you are interested, please let me know.

Thank you.

I am planning to do the Linux+/LPIC exams later on this year. Im down if you are still trying to make a study group.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am 3 months away from finishing the MCSE. I have no post MCSE direction and was thinking LPIC-1/Linux... I might be interested.

What kind of materials were you thinking? How about the approach?
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I am 3 months away from finishing the MCSE. I have no post MCSE direction and was thinking LPIC-1/Linux... I might be interested.

What kind of materials were you thinking? How about the approach?

Damn man...you answered me right when I started thinking about not doing these certs. I planned to study using the LPIC in a nutshell study guide and some undetermined linux version. How much linux experience do you have?
    Setting up a couple file servers and a some workstations against my will. Nothing really practical.

How about yourself?
    -Daniel
    Setting up a couple file servers and a some workstations against my will. Nothing really practical.

How about yourself?

None Really? I would study with you (just to get my linux skills up to par) but I might not take the test for a while...maybe.
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I would be interested in joining a study group. Let me know if it's still on.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
    I am still finishing up the MCSE. I won't be long. Just money permiting and time of course. 2-3 months Ill be in 100%.

I am going to head to the book store and flip through, see what books look interesting tomorrow. It's my understanding LPIC/Linux+ is more about the apps that the OS. Apache, MySQL etc. So I am looking at practical application of these tools in production.

I know I am going to start with LPIC-1
    Linux Professional Institute: Level 1 Tutorials

then this, Apache
    Introduction To Apache Web Server Tutorials

then this, MySQL
    MySQL Tutorials

... then this.
    MasterClass! - Using Secure Shell (SSH) Tutorials

But I am also thinking I will try and do a video podcast or something just to share what I learn.

What are you guys thinking?
    -Daniel
    I am still finishing up the MCSE. I won't be long. Just money permiting and time of course. 2-3 months Ill be in 100%.

I am going to head to the book store and flip through, see what books look interesting tomorrow. It's my understanding LPIC/Linux+ is more about the apps that the OS. Apache, MySQL etc. So I am looking at practical application of these tools in production.

I know I am going to start with LPIC-1
    Linux Professional Institute: Level 1 Tutorials

then this, Apache
    Introduction To Apache Web Server Tutorials

then this, MySQL
    MySQL Tutorials

... then this.
    MasterClass! - Using Secure Shell (SSH) Tutorials

But I am also thinking I will try and do a video podcast or something just to share what I learn.

What are you guys thinking?

I think that is cool. Maybe a private forum or thread or something to share notes. Have you decided on what exams to take first (LINUX+ or LPIC)? Also I wanted to know what your motivation was in doing this? Do you work with Linux? Do you want to work with linux? Do you want another cert to broaden you skillset? I am just curious..

EDIT: OH and btw I may actually take the test. I am trying to decided the worth of doing an MCSA vs just doing an MCP and doing CCNP studies..
    knwminus wrote: »
    Have you decided on what exams to take first (LINUX+ or LPIC)?
    Depends on how I feel. Probably just Linux+ since the "+" at the end is familair to HR people. Also Linux+ seems to be more RedHat orieted. But since they cover basically the same stuff. I will probably end up study the same books anyway.
    Also I wanted to know what your motivation was in doing this? Do you work with Linux? Do you want to work with linux? Do you want another cert to broaden you skillset? I am just curious..
    Seems like a reasonable question. Well, my job is trying to take on more and more Linux. We handle some servers but escalate/outsource a lot of it. In addition Linux admins command a lot more cash than windows. So that is something to consider for the long run.
    EDIT: OH and btw I may actually take the test. I am trying to decided the worth of doing an MCSA vs just doing an MCP and doing CCNP studies..
    Complete the set to MCSE if you are gonna do it. Why stop at MCSA? HR people have not heard of that one nearly as much.

Either way, I am setting up a computer to podcast from on my studies on this.
    Learn IT Video Cast! on blip.tv
    -Daniel
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I can probably set something up on my website to do a private study thing. Just let me know. From taking a Linux class in the past that was geared towards Linux+, it is more about the basics of Linux, rather than setting up apps. I doubt you'll see anything on Apache or SQL in depth on it. More than likely you are going to see: Users/groups, Permissions, basic commands, location of config files, disk quotas, installing apps (make), and basic network set up.

I guess I'll give you a little of my background in Linux. I used to admin some Linux stuff where I used to work. I have also built some security appliances from scratch on *nix based boxes (firewalls, IDS, and network management). As far as training, I have taken Linux+, and RHCE courses when I was in college. It's been a good while though, so I'm a bit rusty.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
    Depends on how I feel. Probably just Linux+ since the "+" at the end is familair to HR people. Also Linux+ seems to be more RedHat orieted. But since they cover basically the same stuff. I will probably end up study the same books anyway.

Seems like a reasonable question. Well, my job is trying to take on more and more Linux. We handle some servers but escalate/outsource a lot of it. In addition Linux admins command a lot more cash than windows. So that is something to consider for the long run.

Complete the set to MCSE if you are gonna do it. Why stop at MCSA? HR people have not heard of that one nearly as much.

Either way, I am setting up a computer to podcast from on my studies on this.
    Learn IT Video Cast! on blip.tv

Watched your video. Liked it. Alot. I am fully in for the LPIC-1. Lets get it.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I don't know if I'll get to take the exam anytime soon but I'd love to contribute...I run a Linux server at home for various purposes...
    I have been looking for books/vids/wikis for the new objectives and I haven't found much. What do yall think a good book(s) would be?

Edit: Also what would be a good distro to work on/learn from? I am thinking Redhat/CentOS....

EDIT: I found a list of approved books just in case anyone else hadn't http://www.lpi.org/eng/training__1/new_exam_preparation_resources_for_revised_lpic_exams
    Thanks for the positive comment on the video blog. Two more episodes are waiting for upload and Ill have them posted soon. I am doing my best to keep them ipod/zune friendly.

Certainly CentOS and Debian are the two distros we are going to need to play with for the LPIC/Linux+.

I have pretty much decided on the Sybex Linux+ and the RedHat Administrators guide for reading material. vtc for video training. My video blog for reinforcing the knowledge. I still think I need to find some good Q&A software. Not sure what is the best for that.
    -Daniel
    Thanks for the positive comment on the video blog. Two more episodes are waiting for upload and Ill have them posted soon. I am doing my best to keep them ipod/zune friendly.

Certainly CentOS and Debian are the two distros we are going to need to play with for the LPIC/Linux+.

I have pretty much decided on the Sybex Linux+ and the RedHat Administrators guide for reading material. vtc for video training. My video blog for reinforcing the knowledge. I still think I need to find some good Q&A software. Not sure what is the best for that.

I have heard that the lpic in a nutshell was pretty good. When the 3rd edition comes out, I think I will buy it. I will also be using understanding linux network internals, linux in a nutshell, and maybe a book on linux admin work. Are you going for the LPIC or Linux+ (or both)?

I wasn't able to find any transcender test for LPIC. Let me know if you do.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Following my failiure on an XP Support Tech exam a while ago, I mistrust any third-party guide book that claims it will prepare you for a particular exam. In the case of LPIC, they themselves haven't published anything except the exam objectives and few "sample" questions that look deceiving enough to make you bite the apple. So it has to be a third-party guide. And those published so far (with the updated objectives) aren't getting exactly rave reviews.
    How do you imagine the study group to look like? I would imagine that the level of proficiency in Linux would differ between us and inevitably those with more knowledge would end up teaching the rest of the group at the expence of their own progress...
    I got into linux after experimenting at home with VoIP side of Asterisk, then cooled off a little on it when Windows VoIP came out and now I am back to Linux while successfully recycling an outdated laptop (at least in Vista's view it is outdated).
    My "syllabus" would be to first work through and get intimate knowledge of text processing tools and commands of the likes of sed, grep, regular expressions, work through their darker and less-known corners. Unix.com forums have an outstanding shell scripting corner, not only guides but real tasks from real users. After that I would turn to working through the linux's boot and startup process, my impression from looking at the LPIC 101 objectives is that text crunching via command-line and anything related boot and post-boot startup consists around 50% of the questions.
    As far as motivation for taking the exam, my thought before joining this forum was that only a non-expirienced (but knowledgable) person would take a cert exam that will help in stuffing the resume once that exam is passed. But I also saw that cert exams are set up to fail exactly that kind of candidate- with no expirience. However, looking at the list of certs of some of the members here, I may change my mind. And no, I don't have any tech certs (OK, one from BrainBench on WinXP) and have no sysadmin expirience beyond experimentation at home.
    varelg wrote: »
    Following my failiure on an XP Support Tech exam a while ago, I mistrust any third-party guide book that claims it will prepare you for a particular exam. In the case of LPIC, they themselves haven't published anything except the exam objectives and few "sample" questions that look deceiving enough to make you bite the apple. So it has to be a third-party guide. And those published so far (with the updated objectives) aren't getting exactly rave reviews.
    How do you imagine the study group to look like? I would imagine that the level of proficiency in Linux would differ between us and inevitably those with more knowledge would end up teaching the rest of the group at the expence of their own progress...
    I got into linux after experimenting at home with VoIP side of Asterisk, then cooled off a little on it when Windows VoIP came out and now I am back to Linux while successfully recycling an outdated laptop (at least in Vista's view it is outdated).
    My "syllabus" would be to first work through and get intimate knowledge of text processing tools and commands of the likes of sed, grep, regular expressions, work through their darker and less-known corners. Unix.com forums have an outstanding shell scripting corner, not only guides but real tasks from real users. After that I would turn to working through the linux's boot and startup process, my impression from looking at the LPIC 101 objectives is that text crunching via command-line and anything related boot and post-boot startup consists around 50% of the questions.
    As far as motivation for taking the exam, my thought before joining this forum was that only a non-expirienced (but knowledgable) person would take a cert exam that will help in stuffing the resume once that exam is passed. But I also saw that cert exams are set up to fail exactly that kind of candidate- with no expirience. However, looking at the list of certs of some of the members here, I may change my mind. And no, I don't have any tech certs (OK, one from BrainBench on WinXP) and have no sysadmin expirience beyond experimentation at home.

Thanks for the info on unix.com. I am kind of the same boat with the no sysadmin experience and I would much rather go for the LPIC then the MS stuff. I think it will be a really tough cert to get with little linux experience but I am setting up my server client lab and I plan to change all of that.
    knwminus, I don't see networking in the LPIC 101 objectives, I wouldn't sweat it... while at labs, in my opinion it would definitely help to have a bit outdated desktop for practice on absurd installation problems. And another resource would be linuxquestions.com, users there tend to post their hardware- related problems more often than on other linux- related forums. My line of prep would be the more absurd the problem is- the more likely it is to be on the exam... but would definitely stick to the objectives...
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    I'm also down with this, have you guys started yet? if not how soon?......i'm doing LPIC because of the linux knowledge requirement for administering ORACLE.

Please Let me know
    stonecold26.jpg
    varelg wrote: »
    knwminus, I don't see networking in the LPIC 101 objectives, I wouldn't sweat it... while at labs, in my opinion it would definitely help to have a bit outdated desktop for practice on absurd installation problems. And another resource would be linuxquestions.com, users there tend to post their hardware- related problems more often than on other linux- related forums. My line of prep would be the more absurd the problem is- the more likely it is to be on the exam... but would definitely stick to the objectives...

Awesome. Does that mean you are in for the study group? :)
    elover_jm wrote: »
    I'm also down with this, have you guys started yet? if not how soon?......i'm doing LPIC because of the linux knowledge requirement for administering ORACLE.

Please Let me know

I know dan is. I am as well. I think I am getting the Lpic-1 study guide from sybex and Linux adminstration: a beginners guide. I will start studying for this in about a month. I will be using both CentOS and Debian due to Dans suggestion. I plan to go for the LPIC test along with a few other things...

I want to do LPIC1/2 within a year or so.
    I know dan is. I am as well. I think I am getting the Lpic-1 study guide from sybex and Linux adminstration: a beginners guide. I will start studying for this in about a month. I will be using both CentOS and Debian due to Dans suggestion. I plan to go for the LPIC test along with a few other things...

I want to do LPIC1/2 within a year or so.

Okay i already have CENTOS installed on vmware on my laptop, been practicing and watching CBT for 1 month now.
    stonecold26.jpg
    Okay i already have CENTOS installed on vmware on my laptop, been practicing and watching CBT for 1 month now.

Well you are ahead of the game...bowing.gif What cert are you going for?
    After flipping through the Sybex Linux+ and the LPIC in a Nutshell book the cross over from the two is pretty extensive more and more I read. I think I'll add the in the nutshell book. So I have three books at this point
    Sybex Linux+
    LPIC-1 in nutshell
    Red Hat administrators guide

I believe those will be enough to pass both. Whether you go Linux+ vs. LPIC seems to come down to what you have a stronger interest in. RedHat or Ubuntu. The LPIC leads to the Ubutnu cert while Linux+ seemsto lead to RHCT. In the real world you'll need to know both and more. (but who can afford that many exams!?!)

Please Let me know
    I have lightly started, not going full time yet since I am still waiste deep in active directory design right now. Check out my podcast Learn IT Video Cast! on blip.tv I am also on iTubes as Kahn's IT.

But I've been needing a break here and there so I started in on this new format for learning for me.

As far as what is the format for an online study group? Seems to me it works like this...
    1) We set deadlines to read chapters
    2) We design labs for eachother
    3) Make up questions and post them (know a good site for this?)
    4) Start a wiki to takes notes in (anyone already have one?)

As I learn I am doing those podcasts you can start your own and that could be interesting.
    -Daniel
    great idea on study format, I'm also in the midst of preparing for Oracle 10g certification.

I have a collection of linux ebooks including(Linux+ Certification Bible 2002, Linux+ Study Guide 2001, Linux Plus Study Guide 2nd Ed 2004) except for those you listed above (will try to get those soon)........
    stonecold26.jpg
    Okay i'm getting pretty anxious here .... any suggestion on start date....

as suggested by Dan We should:
    1. Agree on set of books to be used for study group.

2. Set up a time chart for completing chapters and practice labs.

3. Formulate set of questions for all to complete after each chapter\Lab.
    stonecold26.jpg

Agreed. I am thinking about using the Linux Bible and the Linux scripting bible along with the lpic book from either sybex or LPIC in a nutshell. What do you think?

I am thinking that fedora and debian and centos will be my primary os' for studying. What do you think?
    Agreed. I am thinking about using the Linux Bible and the Linux scripting bible along with the lpic book from either sybex or LPIC in a nutshell. What do you think?

I am thinking that fedora and debian and centos will be my primary os' for studying. What do you think?

sounds great (i'll be using Centos)......, how many do we have onboard here so far? and should we have a vote on the appropriate staring date for this, i would love to have this going soon!!!!
    stonecold26.jpg

Objection. First, agreeing on certain set of "books" doesn't mean that if we study that material we'll pass the test. It would only mean that we could pass the test we create among ourselves.
    Second, not all the participants (not necessarily in the study group but certainly in this discussion) are in the IT sector already. Meaning that there will be participants that would not be able to meet timetables set forth by the group, due to their obligation to give focus to the current line of work.
    In short, creating a parallel test to the real one may only lead to illusion of proficiency. To quote a line from one of my favourite movies, "Training Day": it is not what you know, it is what you can prove. Or transposed on the exam- it is not what you know, it is what you are tested on. And it seems that we'll be tested on the things we don't know.
    I would urge on using the GNU documentation already available on GNU homepage, man and info pages and linux forums. It is obvious how LPIC objectives overlap with the contents of GNU documentation. Especially if u look at the contents of coreutils info page (available also as a pdf from GNU's home on the web) and the list of objectives- some of them might be taken verbatim from the GNU docs.
    In my view, forums would also be of great use in search for problems with linux that are of greater complexity. We could either present to the group some of the more interesting problems we found on these forums and try to solve within the group, or if we encountered a difficult problem ourselves we could present that to the forums in search for an answer....
    sounds great (i'll be using Centos)......, how many do we have onboard here so far? and should we have a vote on the appropriate staring date for this, i would love to have this going soon!!!!

A few. I maybe 6 or so. What certs are you going for LPIC1/LINUX+ or both? I will be going for LPIC-1 and 2 with in the next year. What are you goals date to have test done?