What does CCNA voice teach you??

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey CCNAVs,

what exactly can you do with a CCNAV? I mean it doesnt teach you Qos right? or how to conifgure Qos on switches. Who is looking for CCNAV? If you had CVOICE wouldnt that be better??? cause it would give you CCNAV and part of the CCVP set? or do you need CCNAV now and CVOICE to be a CCVP??
thanksicon_study.gif

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    itdaddy wrote: »
    Hey CCNAVs,

what exactly can you do with a CCNAV? I mean it doesnt teach you Qos right? or how to conifgure Qos on switches. Who is looking for CCNAV? If you had CVOICE wouldnt that be better??? cause it would give you CCNAV and part of the CCVP set? or do you need CCNAV now and CVOICE to be a CCVP??
    thanksicon_study.gif

IF you want real voice knolowdge it might be best to skip the cert books and get books like Gateway gatekeepers book, and the end to end QOS network design quality of service book.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shodown
    do you need ccnav for ccvp? doesnt cvoice v6 make you a ccnav?
    and if i were to take the ccnav dont i need a UC500..I mean they are like 1800.00 holy crap! how does one study for an exam that is 1/16 that price?
    shodown
    do you need ccnav for ccvp? doesnt cvoice v6 make you a ccnav?
    and if i were to take the ccnav dont i need a UC500..I mean they are like 1800.00 holy crap! how does one study for an exam that is 1/16 that price?

I got mine with CVOICE. I Could go grab one from the back if I really needed them since we deploy them.:) So far so good not to many trouble calls about them(UC500). You can learn the basics of the exam wtih a 1760 with CCME and a switch and some phones. You can skip the unity express and read those questions out the book. If your really going to be working in your situation and want credit. CVOICE, Gateway and Gatekeepers and QOS exams would help you out big time.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    shodown
    so you got your ccnav by taking cvoice right you didnt take the ccnav
    with the uc500?

i have 5 1760s i bought for my home lab and I am going to WAN them to gether withe T1 csu/dsu cards..and then get some Ip phones and ge the ccme going is that good for covoice? so you think maybe I could do the cvoice route better. it just seems wiser. i mean it is on the way to ccvp right. and the ccnav with uc500 is more for small businesses right?
    sorry if I am asking dumb questions i really dont know but i love my 1760s they are going to be ready to do my voice this year ;)
    sho down
    you think i need a 3550 with EMI image or can i get away with 2950?? for the voice? not sure if i can find voip phone with power adapters?
    is that even possible? or you think i need a 3550 switch poe?
    Thats a lot of equipment.

for CVOICE

I used

2 1760's 1 with a VWIC card I borrowed
    1 2610 as a gatekeeper.

Using the same setup for Gateway Gatekeepers also, but I will be adding 2 2610's to use as gatekeers also

2 FXS cards with touch tone phones
    1 FXO card borrowed.

the powered switch is nice to have, but you only need it if you are going to do CIPT. I think I read in your post that you used a different phone vendor.

IF you are going to do CCNAV I guess you can use it.
    Currently Reading

yeah I am building a huge home lab/wan. and having it for my ccnp studies. I am not a GNS3 fan..I like real equipment. I have a 2511 access router with 16 fully functioning async ports. I got my 1760s or 40 bucks each on ebay it was a steal with t1 cards in already..got really lucky...

okay, sounds like a plan i was just worried about the uc500 sheese 1800.00..but i will get my 1760 with CCME going and see how that works.
    I know ccnav is just the beginning and I am going to try to knock it out in 2 months we shall see.....

I think ccnav will extend my 640-802 cert date wont it bump it up to a further expire date??
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    CVOICE and IIUC aren't testing you on the same thing. CVOICE is for Call Manager and IIUC is for Call Manager Express.

So if you're working with CME then IIUC would be more suited.
    tiersten

but the IIUC CCNAV exam doesnt count if you are going for ccvp right?
    but the cvoice counts for the ccnav but enterprise level ccnav right
    and the ccnav IIUC is more mid to small businesses right?
    thanks for input..
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    but the IIUC CCNAV exam doesnt count if you are going for ccvp right?
    That is correct.
    but the cvoice counts for the ccnav but enterprise level ccnav right
    and the ccnav IIUC is more mid to small businesses right?
    CVOICE will get you your CCNA:V and part of CCVP.

As I said in my previous post, if you're working with CME then getting IIUC would be better.
    tiersten

OOHH I SEE call manager is enterprise and CME is smaller range
    i see...thank you so much for your help ;)
    -cheers!icon_thumright.gif
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would predict the number of people taking the IIUC exam will drop to historic lows icon_rolleyes.gif I can say for sure the author of the Cisco Press book for IIUS seemed pretty bummed about the change. I don't really like the change unless they plan to do the same thing for all tracks. If they were going to make a change I would have preferred they made it so that CCNA Voice was not a pre-req to CCVP that way people would still persue CCNA Voice on it's own. Seems to me the ultimate goal was to get more people going into the voice track instead of the CCNP track.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The reason I did the IIUC exam was because of CME. Even after they announced CVOICE as being a option. I went for CCNA Voice as a guide for the base learning of CME, gateways, and general voice concepts. Right now I got a few books on the way that deals a bit more with CME, QoS among other things. I don't really feel it was a waist especially since I have 2 CME systems and 1 gateway router I have to manage.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    For me I switched from CVoice to CCNAV (I wasnt quite ready to take the cvoice exam) and they hadnt announced the current changes when I took the CCNAV.
    certainly when I switched my studies I found the CCNAV course material to be a lot "simpler" to follow than CVoice, tho that could be because of the work I put into CVoice.

I would say that the CCNAV is more of an intro exam into voice, it gives lots of info on telecoms, quite nice if you've never worked on it before.

I passed mine using a 1760 router and 2950 switch and a couple of phones, virtual and physical.

I've got QoS lined upo next then I'll be putting my voice studies (exam wise) on hold as I am pursing CISSP.

fwiw I would buy a UC500 (at the right price obviously) I think it's a great piece of kit for what it does icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    fwiw I would buy a UC500 (at the right price obviously) I think it's a great piece of kit for what it does

true that but 1800.00 for a UC500 I think not icon_sad.gif

dtlokee

I think you are right. I have been reading on UC500.. many small places are going with cheaper Voip and now this..in my gut I want to just read over the CCNAV book and then just study for CVOICE and not take CCNAV
    because if CVOICE counts towards CCNAV then reallly why go for the exam that will not count towards CCVP..makes sense to me and that is what I am probaly going to do..eventually. just playing and building my labs and my own home WAN so I can have some practice building one from ground up and then eventually I can concentrate on voice which I know is here to stay. Thanks for all your help and great insight. Very good discussion.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    itdaddy,

Just remember that cvoice was designed to be a professional level exam. If you're not at a professional level of VOIP experience/knowledge, I would suggest you go with IIUC as it will give you a solid foundation to continue the rest of the track.

I honestly think IIUC is the "CCENT" of VOIP.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of my biggest problems with the CCVP is the lack of coverage for CME. I think that adding the IIUC exam to the certification track was a good move by Cisco because it addressed a missing peice (we can also argue other common applications are missing like unity and UCCX which we use in alost every deployment). I don't understand why they made it such that from a certification perspective there is no benefit for somone to study for the IIUC exam by itself if you plan to go for the CCVP.

Overall if you plan to work in voice you need to learn CME, and one way to do that is to persue the IIUC exam.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    there is no benefit for somone to study for the IIUC exam by itself if you plan to go for the CCVP.

Overall if you plan to work in voice you need to learn CME, and one way to do that is to persue the IIUC exam.

Just remember that cvoice was designed to be a professional level exam. If you're not at a professional level of VOIP experience/knowledge, I would suggest you go with IIUC as it will give you a solid foundation to continue the rest of the track.

I honestly think IIUC is the "CCENT" of VOIP.
    darkerosxx and dtlokee

you guys have a valid point and thanks so much for ur advice I agree.
    IIUC good choice at least the skill set obtain before taking cvoice.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dtlokee wrote: »
    One of my biggest problems with the CCVP is the lack of coverage for CME. I think that adding the IIUC exam to the certification track was a good move by Cisco because it addressed a missing peice (we can also argue other common applications are missing like unity and UCCX which we use in alost every deployment). I don't understand why they made it such that from a certification perspective there is no benefit for somone to study for the IIUC exam by itself if you plan to go for the CCVP.

I have to agree with this 100% – I’ve done a bunch of ISR voice installs now (20-75 users) and outside of setting up the PSTN trunks and dial plans, CVOICE (the entire CCVP for that matter) only covers about 25% of what is required for a small office setup. CVOICE really should be called the “75% Gateway/Gatekeeper” exam. :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    pitviper
    thanks for your great insight ;) awesome real world knowledge..
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very good info! I'm reading this post with the IIUC book in my lap. I'm going to continue to pursue my CCNA Voice (primarily because I use CME) at work and I'm a newbie to the VoIP world.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    peanut
    yeah i just got my ccna voice book tooo and well it does answer most of my questions which are very basic to voip ;) I can see ccna voice (not cvoice) will be a good option for me since it is a beginners voip cert ;0
    thanks guys great help!bowing.gif
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    pitviper wrote: »
    I have to agree with this 100% – I’ve done a bunch of ISR voice installs now (20-75 users) and outside of setting up the PSTN trunks and dial plans, CVOICE (the entire CCVP for that matter) only covers about 25% of what is required for a small office setup. CVOICE really should be called the “75% Gateway/Gatekeeper” exam. :)

CCVP only covers about 25% of what you need to setup an office of 20-75 users?? WOW.

I am studying for the CCNA Voice IIUC and I'm finding the information very useful. I didnt get the feeling I always got when i was studying for the CCNA (it feels to me there's a whole of things that they are not telling me...).
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
    I think ccvp is more for like back bone voip and the same goes for ccip.
    these i believe a more back bone large scane engineering jobs
    where the ccnav is more for mid-sized establishments that is why I am sure cisco saw a need for it. rightfully so. ;)
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not necessarily backbone – It’s just geared towards enterprise class services. You’re not really going to see Unified Communications Manager cluster or even a Gatekeeper in a small-to-mid sized business.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT