Possible Glitch in the BCMSN Exam?

michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
I took the BCMSN exam 3 times and I definitely remember the last 2 times that I could not type a copy run start on 2 of the sims. It said command not supported. At the time I didn't think anything of it, I figured that was just the way it was but last night (after taking it the third time) my instructor called me up and said that 2 other people reported the same issue. He recommended that I call Vue and ask them for a refund or a voucher (which I did, they are going to get back to me) Has anyone else seen this issue?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Was one of the SIM requirements to save your changes/configuration to the startup configuration? If so, did you leave a comment indicating that the popular command to save the configuration wasn't working?

The write command went away a long time ago (though it still works) so unless they said to use an obsolete command or the smallest abbreviated command possible, I'd go with the general "you don't have to copy run start to get credit for a SIM" answer.

I think the only 3 things Cisco has acknowledged about the grading on their exams is that the SIMs get you more points than other questions, you can get partial credit on a SIM, and you don't have to copy run start to get credit for the SIM (unless they list it as one of the SIM requirement).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    To tell you the truth I don't remember if I have ever tried to save the config on the exams or not. If its not part of the answer it may not be a supported command. These aren't real switches you are working on after all. I have ran across quite a few other commands that were not supported, but I didn't think the were a "glitch". Just have to find out which way Cisco wants you to do things on the exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • sunderodiumsunderodium Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    During the SIM cisco disables a lot of the command that don't pertain to question/sim.

So I wouldnt expect copy run start to work during the labs...
    CCNP Track
    7/11/2009 BSCI
    7/25/2009 BCMSN
  • wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    The sims that I had during my CCNP exams never mentioned that you had to make sure you saved the config but I did anyways. In the real world I always use the "wri" command to save config and always catch myself doing it on the sims. Of course it says it is an unsupported command but then I do the "copy run start" and it has always worked for me. I have never had a time were it did not work or come up and say it was an unsupported command.
  • SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    I did have the same issue on my BCMSN exam glad i still passed.

the issue was trying to save work.

copy running-config

write

were not avaliable, i had no option but to click finnished.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    To tell you the truth I don't remember if I have ever tried to save the config on the exams or not. If its not part of the answer it may not be a supported command. These aren't real switches you are working on after all. I have ran across quite a few other commands that were not supported, but I didn't think the were a "glitch". Just have to find out which way Cisco wants you to do things on the exam.

I allllways do wr during the sims. I was told you had to save the configs to get full credit.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    I allllways do wr during the sims. I was told you had to save the configs to get full credit.

If that was true I probably wouldn't have my NP right now!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    From what I remember you had to copy run start on the sims as one of the requirements. Who knows if it counts towards your score.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wirerat wrote: »
    I have never had a time were it did not work or come up and say it was an unsupported command.

Same here.....Better safe than sorry.:)icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I have always done it too. It takes what, a whole 2 seconds. I would not worry about it though if the commands are not supported.
  • michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    It seems strange to me. I guess I'll wait to see what Vue says about it. In any case I still need to study harder. I've been researching books to use, unfortunately I can't afford any Devices right now so I've been looking at sims as well (leaning towards Dynamips at the moment)
    BTW none of the requirements were to save the config, however I heard from this forum and Cisco instructors to do so.
  • josunin75josunin75 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    when I took my BCMSN few days ago, I also found those commands were not supported.

I didn't panic because I knew from other study group websites
    that people were having the same issue for some time.

I just made sure that the commands I typed in was in running-config. ^^;;

That was all.
    =============================
    on to BCMSN ^=============^

<Lab>
    2 x 3550 EMI
    2 x 2950
    2 x 3640
    1 x 2621
    =============================
    Well Vue got back to me. They basically said the test isn't wrong, I'm just stupid...ok well maybe not that way, but I guess you don't nescesarily need to type copy run start. I think I will coninue to do so, but won't freak out if it doesn't take. Here's the response

Thank you for expressing your concern regarding the simulation exam. We have reviewed your exam file and found no technical issues or errors with the hardware and software that was used to deliver your exam. Given we can find no indication the exam performed differently than intended; we are not issuing a credit for the exam. Pearson VUE is not able to review the events that occur through out a simulation question as they are controlled by Cisco.
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I've never saved configs on an exam. Though for the NP, i've only taken the BSCI, but I dont remember it saying once to save my config.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab