Options

Question about LPI exams

bsddaemon0bsddaemon0 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm considering starting on the LPI cert track. What are the LPI 101 & 102 exams like? What format are the questions, how many are there, how much time do you have, etc.?

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I want to say that its all multiple choice with some fill in the blank type questions...here are some links on the exams.

LPIC-1 / The LPIC Program / Certification / Home - LPI -

Linux Professional Institute (LPI) exam prep : LPIC-1 exams
  • Options
    Does anyone make sample exams? I used MeasureUp and SelfTestSoftware for MS, but they don't do LPI.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Even if you find a sample exam, it will be outdated since LPI updated their exams' objectives since April 2009. Sample exams won't be totaly useless however, the core remains unchanged only the X configuration part is out, with more emphasis on boot n startup, also weight points are distributed more evenly through the objectives. And I would imagine the number of questions is reduced from previous version. It might leave the impression that the new test is easier than prevous one.
    In my view, LPI sets its candidates up to fail. Check the FAQ section of LPI's website for example: they insist on testing for obscure or rarely used options of tools/features in order to weed out the inexpirienced candidates. Mind though that exam 101 is testing Junior SysAdmin. If that junior sysadmin has expirience, he/she wouldn't be junior anymore, right? Seems that mindless repetition and patterns memorization would be the norm when preparing for their exams.
    As far as the market for guide books for these exams, there are two available right now with the updated objectives, but don't get your hopes high- they don't get exactly raving reviews from their readers (at least that's the case with reviewers on amazon.com)...
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    varelg wrote: »
    Even if you find a sample exam, it will be outdated since LPI updated their exams' objectives since April 2009. Sample exams won't be totaly useless however, the core remains unchanged only the X configuration part is out, with more emphasis on boot n startup, also weight points are distributed more evenly through the objectives. And I would imagine the number of questions is reduced from previous version. It might leave the impression that the new test is easier than prevous one.
    In my view, LPI sets its candidates up to fail. Check the FAQ section of LPI's website for example: they insist on testing for obscure or rarely used options of tools/features in order to weed out the inexpirienced candidates. Mind though that exam 101 is testing Junior SysAdmin. If that junior sysadmin has expirience, he/she wouldn't be junior anymore, right? Seems that mindless repetition and patterns memorization would be the norm when preparing for their exams.
    As far as the market for guide books for these exams, there are two available right now with the updated objectives, but don't get your hopes high- they don't get exactly raving reviews from their readers (at least that's the case with reviewers on amazon.com)...

the LPIC-1 test are like helpdesk level (I am taking them soon). I agree that it seems odd that there are no testing material (transcender) for the test but there are several good books availible (at least for the old ones).

The LPIC in a nutshell seemed to be well liked...
  • Options
    I have two books, LPIC-1 2nd Ed. from Sybex and ExamCram 2. Couldn't beat the $3 price for the later. I agree that it looks as if LPI is trying to weed people out by asking obscure questions.