Options

Materials

DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I've been looking around the forums and found the PDF for Net+ are usefull for a second reference when studying, i have the Tamara Dean Net+ Guide to Networks Fourth Edition, what do you guys think? is it a good book to study with while using the PDF for a second source?

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    You'll have to decide if the book works for you or not.

Most people here and including myself will recommend Meyers and Sybex as your first two books of choice.

YMMV

And yes, the PDF and the Objectives should be staples in your NET+ prep as well as some experience.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    my mileage did vary...I'm one of the few who's not a huge fan of Mike Myers. To each his own I guess - everyone's got a different study style and will like different books, so if you're still looking for books, check out reviews & then head down to a big bookstore to flip through some books in person & pick up whatever ones you like. I personally liked Tamara Dean's writing and organizational style.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Meyer's books are geared toward beginning level students, but don't insult people with experience.

His books priced fair to high, yet are reasonable considering the amount of data, pages and value of other IT prep books.

Dean's book I didn't find to be super organized and noticed several errors. For the price, it went back on the shelf.

Sybex books are well organized and provide good tips for beginners.

Like I suggested, he'll need to decide for himself/herself if the book is good.

As with most books, they are only useful if they are read, sometimes you need to read the bad ones to find the good ones.icon_wink.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also looked on another post that the last day to take the 003 was the 31st of July is this true or do i have to shift my focus on the 004?

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    PuremorningPuremorning Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's another question for you guys.
    I know they will give you some scratch paper before you start the test. So what would you recommend that one should write down immediately to save a little time?
    I was thinking the powers of 2 for quick binary/decimal conversion & the OSI layers. Any other ideas?
  • Options
    Here's another question for you guys.
    I know they will give you some scratch paper before you start the test. So what would you recommend that one should write down immediately to save a little time?
    I was thinking the powers of 2 for quick binary/decimal conversion & the OSI layers. Any other ideas?

Never seen paper handed out, but you may receive a dry erase board or laminated sheet to scribble on.

I don't recall needing it but maybe a calculation or two.

By test time, you know it or you don't.

You may find it useful, but if I never had it, I think I'd been just fine.

Relax, take a deep breath and make sure you had a good rest the night before the exam. CompTIA exams are straight-foward. The not too difficult, sometimes longer then necessary :) But fairly simple to get through if you know your definitions and objectives well.
    Plantwiz
    _____