NBMA and Hello Message

auosauos Member Posts: 186
Hi,
In NBMA (non-broadcast multiple access), this communications protocol have no ability for send broadcast or multicast. How it is establish connection with neighbor because (Hello Message) send as multicast. Is

BR,
Auos.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Look into using the neighbor command and its effect on the OSPF hellos.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • auosauos Member Posts: 186
    Look into using the neighbor command and its effect on the OSPF hellos.

Did you mean neighbor command establish the neighbor and send hello message as unicast.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    also look into the ip ospf network command
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    non broadcast means there is no broadcast DLCI so in order for multicast/broadcast to work you need to put the broadcast keyword at the end of your frame map statement or else .5,.6,.9 & .10 wont work.

To see how it works debug ip packet detail and debug frame packet
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    kryolla wrote: »
    non broadcast means there is no broadcast DLCI so in order for multicast/broadcast to work you need to put the broadcast keyword at the end of your frame map statement or else .5,.6,.9 & .10 wont work.

To see how it works debug ip packet detail and debug frame packet

I think you are confusing frame relay and OSPF network types. Regardless if you have a broadcast enable DLCI if the OSPF network type is NBMA it will not send multicasts over the DLCI. That is why you must use the neighbor command to send unicasts to the neighbor.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Im pretty sure I know my frame relay and OSPF and I wasnt confused. The OP did not say anything about OSPF in his first post. I took it he was confused on frame relay being NBMA then how can multicast hellos work. I dont know if you know this but EIGRP also multicast hellos.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew