Interview and mentioning Notice period?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Im wondering how most people approach an interview when your notice period is longer than the standard 1 month. Currently i have a 3 months notice period as i am the only network engineer in my division. I knew this when i took the job but i was always nervous about how it may effect my ability to go to other jobs in the future.

What are people's experiances going for jobs when you have a notice period like me? Do you find many emploers to be put off by it? or opt for people with a shorter notice period? Also, which approach have you taken to slip this into the interview stages? Would you say it in the first rounds or in the later rounds? The recruiter didnt bother asking me at the time.

Also, from what i have gathered from other engineers in similar positions, it seems to be a standard for most in a similar position to have more than the usual 1 month notice in the UK. Is this case for others?

Thanks for your help.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Hey Nel, I have had notice periods ranging from 1 month - 3 months like you I've always been nervous about the longer ones, I currently have 8 weeks which I think is a fair one for the level I'm at.

First and foremost if the recruiter hasnt asked about your notice period dont volunteer the information like you say it may put them off putting you forward for a role, in the current climate at least. Not sure how accurate that is but thats my general rule of thumb, dont volunteer information that may hurt your application icon_wink.gif

I have used different approaches depending on my circumstances at the time, on the shorter periods it's not usually an issue to give a months notice before starting a new role and most employers understand that.
    I have also on occasion hand in my notice in order to make sure I am available when I want to be, I trust my skills in finding another role within 3 months icon_smile.gif
    The 8 week on is always the tricky one, but I normally through in some holiday to bring that period down, if I'm not sent on gardening leave.

Again if yours kills are good and they want you then they will usually wait.

Oh and keep in mind as VERY LAST resort despite the fact you have to give notice, there is nothing saying you actually have to work it !
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287

Oh and keep in mind as VERY LAST resort despite the fact you have to give notice, there is nothing saying you actually have to work it !

I would be careful with this one, from a legal standpoint (I doubt any company would but...) they can prevent you from working for another company for the full duration of your notice period as specified in your contract.
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
    dave0212 wrote: »
    I would be careful with this one, from a legal standpoint (I doubt any company would but...) they can prevent you from working for another company for the full duration of your notice period as specified in your contract.

Yep I'd be VERY careful about using it, I've never had to walk but I have threatened to at one place.
    Most places if your leaving will usually be fari\accomodating where they can be.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never let a company set a notice period beyond 2 weeks. I do that as common courtesy although I've never interviewed where they asked for more than 2 weeks.

3 mths to me sounds like modern day slavery.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are the consequences for leaving after 2-4 weeks? I do that as a courtesy depending on the needs of the company I'm leaving, but I've never been obligated to do any. 3 months sounds insane.
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    This is one spot where the american and european workplaces differ significantly. I think trying to understand the other without experience will likely prove futile.
    dynamik wrote: »
    What are the consequences for leaving after 2-4 weeks? I do that as a courtesy depending on the needs of the company I'm leaving, but I've never been obligated to do any. 3 months sounds insane.

The consequences are losing any pay owed (holiday pay including). Poor if ANY reference's

UK typically is a 1 month notice period for monthly salaried peeps.
    One you move up the food chain (3rd line, management) then 2months upwards is the norm 3 months being typical.
    I had one role that wanted a 6month notice period !! Suffice to say I didnt sign up to that one.
    I have also amended contracts to suit my notice periods duelt signed them and returned them.
    Any questions I point them to look at my contract rarely gets picked up but its leagally binding all the same. icon_smile.gif
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

@ Laidbackfreak...i dont think i would ever do that last resort you mentioned :D. In our company its either a 1 month standard notice period or important roles have 3 months notice.

The position is my first actual networking role. So it was either continue looking and hoping i may get my foot in the door or take the role, get the experiance and then have the disadvantage of a 3 month notice. i really hope this doesnt become an issue in the future but i think it may come back to give me nightmares!

WHats the deal if i never signed anything to say i agreed to the 3 month period? Also what do you think the chances are if i try and negotiate about it with them? how would one approach that?

nel wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

@ Laidbackfreak...i dont think i would ever do that last resort you mentioned :D. In our company its either a 1 month standard notice period or important roles have 3 months notice.

WHats the deal if i never signed anything to say i agreed to the 3 month period? Also what do you think the chances are if i try and negotiate about it with them? how would one approach that?

Cant say I blame you its not one i'd recommend really icon_smile.gif

If you havent signed a contract, and not raised any issues its deemed you have accepted the terms and conditions set out in it.
    On termination of employment from your side comes down to how well you can negotiate a suitable date and more importanly how soon they can replace you.
    Couple of tips make sure your documentation us up todate etc helps the transition period for passing your role on and keeps your bosses sweet when they see your making an effort.
    Cant say I blame you its not one i'd recommend really icon_smile.gif

If you havent signed a contract, and not raised any issues its deemed you have accepted the terms and conditions set out in it.
    On termination of employment from your side comes down to how well you can negotiate a suitable date and more importanly how soon they can replace you.
    Couple of tips make sure your documentation us up todate etc helps the transition period for passing your role on and keeps your bosses sweet when they see your making an effort.

Funny, i am busy doing alot of documentation now. Im getting way ahead of myself now but i just wanted to see where i stand with the notice period if it ever comes to leaving as an interesting opportunity has arisen :D.

Funny, i am busy doing alot of documentation now. Im getting way ahead of myself now but i just wanted to see where i stand with the notice period if it ever comes to leaving as an interesting opportunity has arisen :D.

yep its always good practice, make sure you dont forget the support side of things, who to call from links down, equipment failures that kinda thing. It's often overlooked especially in places that dont have a large depts and rely on one person.

And interesting opportunities are always a good sign icon_smile.gif
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi Guys,

Im wondering how most people approach an interview when your notice period is longer than the standard 1 month. Currently i have a 3 months notice period as i am the only network engineer in my division. I knew this when i took the job but i was always nervous about how it may effect my ability to go to other jobs in the future.

What are people's experiances going for jobs when you have a notice period like me? Do you find many emploers to be put off by it? or opt for people with a shorter notice period? Also, which approach have you taken to slip this into the interview stages? Would you say it in the first rounds or in the later rounds? The recruiter didnt bother asking me at the time.

Also, from what i have gathered from other engineers in similar positions, it seems to be a standard for most in a similar position to have more than the usual 1 month notice in the UK. Is this case for others?

Thanks for your help.

Three months notice period is very workable. Shows the company can't afford to just lose you. For other jobs contract or permie they will wait for the right candidate. In any case the paperwork can take weeks or months to get sorted out to take you on so I wouldn't worry about that Nel.

HTH

T
    Thanks for the input guys. Its made me feel more confident regarding the situation.

One thing, if they ask about the notice period, how should i shine light on the 3 months? would you say things like i can negotiate to bring it down? or things like it will save you some cash in the short term? its always better to wait for the right person? etc things you could say to put the 3 months into a good perspective :D

keep in mind also that any role your likely to be going into will more than likely be in the same situation and chances are there will be little overlap or shortage.

If your asked about it in an interview you can "offer" to try and negotiate over it, but it's worth trying to deflect it and say summit like we can discuss that when\if you make me an offer icon_biggrin.gif Positive and truthful lol
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the input guys. Its made me feel more confident regarding the situation.

One thing, if they ask about the notice period, how should i shine light on the 3 months? would you say things like i can negotiate to bring it down? or things like it will save you some cash in the short term? its always better to wait for the right person? etc things you could say to put the 3 months into a good perspective :D

You can only negotiate it if you can negotiate it. Like I say, good gigs perm or contract will wait for good people and understand you can't just jump ship. Tell them you are important, honour contracts and as they are also professionals you are sure they can understand your situation. You want to leave your last gig on good terms in case the future gig tanks.
    Turgon wrote: »
    You can only negotiate it if you can negotiate it. Like I say, good gigs perm or contract will wait for good people and understand you can't just jump ship. Tell them you are important, honour contracts and as they are also professionals you are sure they can understand your situation. You want to leave your last gig on good terms in case the future gig tanks.

+1
    I've had some tough gigs and may have had the odd run in with bosses over the years but I've never burnt any bridges.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    THREE MONTHS!?!?

Do UK companies realize thats ONE FOURTH of a year?

Thats absolutely crazy.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    THREE MONTHS!?!?

Do UK companies realize thats ONE FOURTH of a year?

Thats absolutely crazy.

I honestly didn't know that was typical over there. However, if it's a common practice and most companies are used to setting stuff up that far in advance, I guess it's not a problem. I don't know if I'd have the patience to wait that long personally. I'd be more than happy to give my current employer adequate time to find a replacement and make any other necessary arrangements, but once I've made up my mind to move on, I'd like to do so.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I think this is one of the few times where I appreciate the fact that I work in an at-will state. Basically, either me or my employer can terminate my employment at any time, period. It's nice having that kind of flexibility
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    dynamik wrote: »
    I honestly didn't know that was typical over there. However, if it's a common practice and most companies are used to setting stuff up that far in advance, I guess it's not a problem. I don't know if I'd have the patience to wait that long personally. I'd be more than happy to give my current employer adequate time to find a replacement and make any other necessary arrangements, but once I've made up my mind to move on, I'd like to do so.

It isn't as far as I am aware. Maybe for senior management, directors but as Nel said, came with the first gig. Mind you, you said you never signed a contract so you could negotiate that. Doubt any tribunal would stand for that at that grade if it all went pear shaped.

Wow, I am surprised by that. It doesn't take 3 months to replace an engineer even if you are the only one there. How are you supposed to get another job if you have to give a 3 month notice period in this financial climate ? You would barely get a look in the moment you said that as someone else could start either the typical month or straight away these days.

These fianancial times are giving far too much power to the employer and they are taking liberties with it. Looking forward to the economic turn around when potential empoyees can again tell the employer where to stick their low pay and rediculous terms... ahh the good ol'e days !

Good Luck Nel.
    Kam.
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    It isn't as far as I am aware. Maybe for senior management, directors but as Nel said, came with the first gig. Mind you, you said you never signed a contract so you could negotiate that. Doubt any tribunal would stand for that at that grade if it all went pear shaped.

Wow, I am surprised by that. It doesn't take 3 months to replace an engineer even if you are the only one there. How are you supposed to get another job if you have to give a 3 month notice period in this financial climate ? You would barely get a look in the moment you said that as someone else could start either the typical month or straight away these days.

These fianancial times are giving far too much power to the employer and they are taking liberties with it. Looking forward to the economic turn around when potential empoyees can again tell the employer where to stick their low pay and rediculous terms... ahh the good ol'e days !

Good Luck Nel.

Thanks Kam. I think you have summed it up - its merely down to the current climate. Trust me, we are getting shafted in more ways than you could imagine because they know there is few opportunities out there. But i think it will make it very hard to move on when that time comes due to the notice period. I can only pray it doesnt!

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    So you're saying there's nothing in writing saying that you have to stick with the 3 month's notice period? If you didn't sign something agreeing to the company's policies, and if the 3-month notice period isn't written somewhere in company policies, then there really isn't anything tying you legally to it. What's the worst they can do if you give a shorter notice...fire you?? As long as you have at least one person there you can use as a reference who wouldn't be all pissed off that you left in less than 3 months, I say you've got nothing to lose.

If your higher-up's are in the very least bit human, they will respond to you saying "I've got an opportunity that I can't pass up and I've tried to negotiate a later start date but..." They can't MAKE you stay unless you're contractually obligated to, and if you approach them and discuss it with them, you stand a chance of not ticking them off about leaving before their non-binding 3-month period is up.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion