Cisco Press Book 4 CCNA:Security

cisconoobletcisconooblet Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
anyone use this book for test prep? I just finished the wendel odom cisco press books for my ccna and then started on this one. It really seems skimpy so far, really glides over topics and not a lot of explanation or examples like in the ccna books. What did you guys use to pass your ccna:security?
CCNA
Network+

Comments

• wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wasn't to impressed with the book but the CBT Nuggets were good. I did a review of what I used here http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-security/44958-dont-forget.html
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    anyone use this book for test prep? I just finished the wendel odom cisco press books for my ccna and then started on this one. It really seems skimpy so far, really glides over topics and not a lot of explanation or examples like in the ccna books. What did you guys use to pass your ccna:security?

I’m currently using it, as well as the CBT Nuggets, Cisco Press Quick Reference Sheets, and of course lots of lab time. If you look over the exam blueprint, the Cisco Press book seems to touch on a lot of stuff not mentioned for the test. Not that being over-prepared ever hurt anyone. Maybe someone else who took the test can chime in = I have about a week to go before I sit the exam.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • cisconoobletcisconooblet Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've never used the cbt nuggets....are they suppose to prepare you for the exam by themselves? I have the book but lets say you just used the video's...wondering how good they really are for 300 bucks.
    CCNA
    Network+
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never used the cbt nuggets....are they suppose to prepare you for the exam by themselves? I have the book but lets say you just used the video's...wondering how good they really are for 300 bucks.

They're a lot cheaper than a class :D

I would expect to supplement them with other resources though. It depends on your learning style; they may not be worth it to you. I typically use them to develop a solid foundation for new material.
  • cisconoobletcisconooblet Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see they are not on ebay, so I'm assuming you must buy them new per agreement with cbtnuggets. I'm paying out my own pocket, and their is not much left in there :) I might give them a go once just to see. Thanks for the input.
    CCNA
    Network+
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm assuming you must buy them new per agreement with cbtnuggets.
    Yes....

They do offer streaming options -- if you have the time and are motivated you can save some money by getting the one month subscriptions and then spending every waking moment watching every CBT Nugget that interests you.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    They have a bunch of sample videos on the CBT site - Check them out. I find that I get a whole lot more out of the Cisco Press books when I read them after I go through the CBT series.
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The CBT nuggets are a must have. Well they were for the CCNA anyway. The guy is a really good teacher. You feel like you are sitting in a class. If you are not doing the course through a training provider then put that money towards some CBT's. You wont be dissapointed !!

Watch the CBT's and then go through the books and it will make a lot more sense.
  • luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    The official exam certification guide for CCNAS is terrible for this exam imo.. maybe the authorized self-study guide is better (This wasn't out when I sat the exam but I hope for future candidates it is helpful)?

Get CBT nuggets for this exam if you can afford it.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    luke_bibby wrote: »
    The official exam certification guide for CCNAS is terrible for this exam imo.

Why do you think it was so terrible? I didn't think it was a bad book at all.
    Too skimpy over most areas of networking security: The crypto section was probably too over the top for the exam, the ZBF chapter was severely lacking in any real config examples, the AAA chapter had very few real world examples, the SAN chapter didn't even describe concepts such as LUNs (I think for an associate-level exam, I think maybe they could have chucked a one-liner in), DIKTA questions were too simple.

If only our good friends Odom or Lammle got the call up for this book icon_sad.gif
    Passed the exam today – 922/1000. I thought while the book covered everything in pretty good detail, the CBTs definitely focused on the important areas. Hands on SDM practice is key for this one.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    Passed the exam today – 922/1000. I thought while the book covered everything in pretty good detail, the CBTs definitely focused on the important areas. Hands on SDM practice is key for this one.

Congrats on the pass!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Thanks guys!

What the heck is the 4011 Recognition certificate thing all about? I see it listed on my progress page now?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks guys!

What the heck is the 4011 Recognition certificate thing all about? I see it listed on my progress page now?

it is related to this:

CNSS 4011 Training Standard - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems
    Looks like something that would be required for government security jobs, no?
    Looks like something that would be required for government security jobs, no?

Actually yes. I live near a large AFB and you just help me realize that CCNA:S > S+. At least for now. CNSS 4011 is known in the government but I don't think it has as much weight in the public sector.
    Cool – Nothing beats a “Bonus” cert for the resume! :)
    Cool – Nothing beats a “Bonus” cert for the resume! :)

Mos def, oh and btw congrats. Any plans after CCVP? CCSP maybe?
    knwminus wrote: »
    Mos def, oh and btw congrats. Any plans after CCVP? CCSP maybe?

Thanks! I'm going to re-assess after I complete the VP (around spring 2010). Hopefully I’ll be in a position to go the IE:voice route, if not, then possibly NP -> IE:voice.
    Thanks! I'm going to re-assess after I complete the VP (around spring 2010). Hopefully I’ll be in a position to go the IE:voice route, if not, then possibly NP -> IE:voice.

Thats cool. I want to get into VOIP but I heard that the CCVP was pretty difficult. I have started to look at other certs for basic voip knowledge. Hopefully though when I finish buying my routers, I will have the framework for a basic voip (ccna:V) level lab.

Oh, I did want to know which book did you use for CCNA:S
    Oh, I did want to know which book did you use for CCNA:S

I used the Cisco Press CCNA:S Official Exam Certification Guide by Watkins/Wallace.
    Actually yes. I live near a large AFB and you just help me realize that CCNA:S > S+. At least for now. CNSS 4011 is known in the government but I don't think it has as much weight in the public sector.

The government is the public sector! That's why were called 'public servants' :P