Seeking general advice about cert path...

subnetmasksubnetmask Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello!

As you can probably see, I'm brand-spankin' new here.

I'm just starting my IT career, having completed Network+ back in April. I've recently finished reading the McGraw Hill Security+ book (SYO-201) and am in the process of memorizing the details ("stupid stuff" as someone once put it) for the exam. I have not sought a new job since getting Net+, mostly because the job I have is easy and occasionally affords me a little time to study.

That said, I'm really kind of unclear on the path I should take from here. I'm thinking heavily on picking up A+ simply for a resume boost, and was considering getting 70-680 (MCTS: Win7, Config) afterwards. They should both be relatively easy and Win7 will be brand new on the market at that point. I've thought I may go after MCITP aftewards, but I'm not sure.

It seems to me like there comes a point where you go after certifications that relate almost exclusively to what you're already doing. My question is: should I go after MCITP to get a better job? Or wait until I've found a job where having that cert would serve the purpose of getting a raise/job stability/security?

I've also thought about Cisco certs, but with having to re-certify every three years, it definitely seems like it's not worthwhile unless you already have a job working with Cisco equipment.

Any advice? Suggestions? Help with crypto on security+? icon_lol.gif
:arrow:WIP:
-(640-816 ICND2) CCNA

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you like working with MS, you might want to look at the MCDST or MCITP:EST to get started. It can be difficult to land a job if you don't have the experience to back that up.

I don't know why recertifying every three years is such a deterrent for you. One pro-level exam will renew all your pro and associate-level certifications, which should be more than manageable. If you don't think you can land a job where you'd be working with Cisco within a few years, then it may not be worth your time (at least now).

You might want to take some time while you're getting started to explore different technologies. There's a significant difference between MS, Cisco, *nix, etc. You should focus on discovering what you like the most.
  • subnetmasksubnetmask Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    If you like working with MS, you might want to look at the MCDST or MCITP:EST to get started. It can be difficult to land a job if you don't have the experience to back that up.

I don't know why recertifying every three years is such a deterrent for you. One pro-level exam will renew all your pro and associate-level certifications, which should be more than manageable. If you don't think you can land a job where you'd be working with Cisco within a few years, then it may not be worth your time (at least now).

You might want to take some time while you're getting started to explore different technologies. There's a significant difference between MS, Cisco, *nix, etc. You should focus on discovering what you like the most.

Thanks for the response. I actually didn't know that about Cisco! That does seem way more reasonable. I thought it was retaking the updated test every three years. /ignorance

I'll look into MCDST and MCITP:EST, thanks for the advice! :)

Truth be told, I'm trying to make up for lost time. I have a kid on the way and I'm in a bit of a panic. I'm making alright money, but it's a level one position and the economy has effectively killed all hopes for a promotion here (no one's been promoted from within in over a year, all contractors getting the level two and up positions now and that's not changing in the foreseeable future). I have the expected experience that accompanies Net+, maybe not quite what normally accompanies Sec+...

I want to be efficient with getting entry level certs. I'm still open about what comes later on down the line. For now I'm just trying to set myself apart from other job applicants when I start looking again, particularly where lack of experience could be mitigated with proof of knowledge.
    -(640-816 ICND2) CCNA
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could probably knock out 271 and 272 rather quickly for the MCDST, and then you'd only need 621 to upgrade that to the MCITP: EST. You'd be looking at a much more arduous, time-consuming path if you were looking at the MCSA/E or the more advanced MCITPs.
  • subnetmasksubnetmask Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I really appreciate the advice. I completely glossed over MCDST. For years I wanted to get MCSE, so finding out MS Learning had changed their cert program so significantly threw a bit of a wrench in my plans. I'd decided on Sec+ before I found out. I kept working on it because I thought it would be useful (and genuine curiosity).

Anyway, it's a relief to have a clearer sense of direction. Thanks again. icon_thumright.gif
    -(640-816 ICND2) CCNA
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't just go after certification. Look into the career path, what you really want and what you can do to get to your goals. Remember, not everybody with get what they at the IT field. There are always better IT guy out there, so education and experience are very important. However, by have general IT certification without a job experience will not help that much at this tight market.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn