ISA 2006 Publishing

wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all.

I have an issue that you should be able to help me with :)

I have an internal .local domain (lets say its called company.local)

I need to get sharepoint and exchange OWA on the net with ISA server. So im going to create some publishing rules. I dont know much about ISA, so basically, is this the correct thing to do?

can i map sharepoint.company.local to sharepoint.company.com without any issues? Im assuming that if i add the dns entries to point to my ISA server then the ISA server will resolve the address to the internal network and vice versa (like NAT)

cheers!
~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese

Comments

• wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for the reply HeroPsycho, but the reason why i posted was because i didnt want to spend 3 days reading through a book about it!

I appreciate the need to understand it thoroughly, but i simply need an answer to this point. Do you know if you can map .com to .local and then reverse it if needed?

im not looking into any ISA server exams for a while yet, so reading books about it is pointless for me...

thanks for your help so far though.
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    I appreciate the need to understand it thoroughly, but i simply need an answer to this point. Do you know if you can map .com to .local and then reverse it if needed?

Yes.
    im not looking into any ISA server exams for a while yet, so reading books about it is pointless for me...

Um, how is it pointless to learn about a technology that you're implementing? icon_scratch.gif
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    thanks for the reply HeroPsycho, but the reason why i posted was because i didnt want to spend 3 days reading through a book about it!

I didn't read the Shinder book to pass an exam. I read it to learn the product because I was implementing it. Then, I figured I might as well get certified in it.

You're basically trying to get people with ISA expertise to do your work for you. I don't mind helping people who are trying to do things for themselves, and ran into a road block where the information is hard to find, or they're having a hard time understanding something.

You're literally trying to get me to answer a question that's pretty basic in how to implement ISA just so you don't have to read. ncool.gif

No, I'm not doing that. And there's no justification for why you can't spend a few minutes reading from an excellent source of info that explains all this. For example...

Don't give me that crap about it's gonna take you three days to read the book. Books have wonderful things called "Table of Contents" and "Indexes". And besides anyway, you can't spend a few days reading a book for a product you're implementing, so you do it correctly?!

Absolutely inexcusable. You already designed it wrong, and were told you really need to read this book.

Sorry to be so harsh, but for the good of your customer/employer and for your career, stop making excuses for why you can't do what you should be doing.
    Good luck to all!
    I wasnt intending to offend anybody. (Just for the record)

when i said reading the book is pointless for me, i meant that i have many other books im reading now, and that i cant fit it in. (I dont have the time, hence the direct question.)

On the matter of getting it wrong, i didnt get it wrong. I actually designed it correctly, but without using ISA server the way i should have used it. Using a DMZ really complicates the design because microsoft obviously dont want you to design it that way.

It really would have helped me a few months ago if id found out about publishing / mapping addresses. but i didnt know about that, at all! so i wouldnt have even known about a different way of designing the setup.

i mistyped my first post anyways... it should have said: I dont know much about ISA Publishing.

You seem like you need a vacation HeroPsycho? icon_wink.gif
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Sorry. Just exhausted. I'm working two jobs...

(Mine and yours...) icon_thumright.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • tomkentomken Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Sorry. Just exhausted. I'm working two jobs...

(Mine and yours...) icon_thumright.gif

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!! That is too funny!!!!!

Seriously though, this is a big part of what is wrong with our country today.
    lol. you sure? you seem to also be a comedian!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    Um, how is it pointless to learn about a technology that you're implementing? icon_scratch.gif

I have to second Dynamik on this. You should really get an idea of how ISA works before you try and roll this out. It's just very important that you understand what yu are doing as this is the foundation for what you are building. If you get it wrong it could cause issues that are very difficult for you to troubleshoot (especially if you don't understand what you did in the first place).
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Yes. Have you looked through this site? Microsoft ISA Server Firewall Resource Site: Articles & Tutorials
    I checked out this website a while ago, its a very good resource. Thanks for the link though :)

I will read about ISA server more thoroughly, its not as though im not interested in it, its just that i didnt actually put it in, i only needed to create a rule.

Ive been putting in SCCM, exchange and sharepoint (With kerberos delegation) so ive been busy with that. (And ill post the install steps when ive written them up)

You all seem to think ISA is the most important, so ill be looking into it as a side read when ive done what im doing :)

And i really agree with you on the troubleshooting side, but you can filter the results and generate reports, which helps. but i suppose you need to know where to look!