Linux+ Beta still alive

kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
I just got an email this morning asking me if I wanted to participate in the beta exam. They said that they need about 50 more people to take the exam and then in about 4-5 months I would get my score. I have till Sept.5 to take the exam then it shuts off. So Anyways I am going to take it. Anyone know where to find the new objectives?

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just got an email this morning asking me if I wanted to participate in the beta exam. They said that they need about 50 more people to take the exam and then in about 4-5 months I would get my score. I have till Sept.5 to take the exam then it shuts off. So Anyways I am going to take it. Anyone know where to find the new objectives?

I got the same email today..

How much do you know about linux?
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    well all our servers but 2 are linux and all are command line only. I know some but only enough to do what i need on a day to day basis. I doubt I know enough to pass this but hopefully i get in some study time for it.
    well all our servers but 2 are linux and all are command line only. I know some but only enough to do what i need on a day to day basis. I doubt I know enough to pass this but hopefully i get in some study time for it.

cool. I picked up the fedore 6 and red hat linux bible and unix/linux survival guide. I think I am going to do some serious labbing and try to pound this out..
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I got the email as well...anything to note from the past beta testers? skrpune?
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    shednik wrote: »
    I got the email as well...anything to note from the past beta testers? skrpune?
    well I didn't take the beta on this one, and I am still waiting on the results from my Server+ beta. So the biggest thing is patience I guess - you have to wait a few weeks to months to get your results. I suck at the patience thing. And just about every time I forget about it, some kind soul (ahem, dynamik) mentions it to me and reminds me that I have to wait some more. Thanks pal! icon_lol.gif

Other than that, since there's no published study guides for betas, just use the objectives as your guide on what to prepare for. You can use study guides/cbt's/etc for previous releases of the exams to give you a review and then do some extra googling of the stuff that's new on the beta's objectives.

Be prepared for a long exam too - you'll get more questions than on a "real" exam, and your exam time will cover the time to take the exam AND comment on the questions as well. If memory serves me correctly, you can comment on a question as you're taking the exam - it's been a while, and maybe I'm mixing this up with the MS beta I took, but I'm pretty sure that on the CompTIA betas, you can leave your comments on the fly by just clicking the "comment" button at the bottom of the screen. I believe that with the MS betas, you have to do that at the end, but I could be wrong.

Good luck!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's about 2:18 EST in the US. Have you guys gotten a reply from those emails with the voucher code? I have not.
    It's about 2:18 EST in the US. Have you guys gotten a reply from those emails with the voucher code? I have not.

I called Carol Bulkam. She said she will start sending out the vouchers in the next few hours. Also if you had an email that said it was a pearson vue voucher, that is NOT correct. It is a prometric voucher. Just keep that in mind.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I received my voucher (Prometric) about 10 minutes ago. Scheduled for next Tuesday, not expecting much difficulty since I've been using Linux personally and professionally for a number of years but we'll see.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Awaiting mine. :) I am studying like a banshee for this one. :)

Can't wait!
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I just got mine...time to do a bit of review.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just signed up for mine just now hopefully i take it before the 50 others do.
    got mine. Time to cram for the next 2 weeks
    Well, I did not get a reply, so I suppose I won't be getting one. icon_sad.gif

But the best of luck to those of you who did!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got the e-mail as well. Anyone got any suggestions on studying material?
    Yikes! I just downloaded the objectives for the Linux+, 13 pages!!!! I am not sure that I am going to go for this. For someone with as little knowledge of Linux as I have would probably need several good months of studying.
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Just got an email today!!!!!!
    Yikes! I just downloaded the objectives for the Linux+, 13 pages!!!! I am not sure that I am going to go for this. For someone with as little knowledge of Linux as I have would probably need several good months of studying.

Thats how I feel. I am going to cram but I will use this as a free practice test
    Me too! Looks like I will be taking it. Scheduled it for the 29th. Good lord, I am going to have to cram. I have used Linux off and on for years and I manage 5 linux systems at work... but I'm not to sure about this.
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I received an invite too, and signed up to take it on the 28th. Looking over the objectives list, it looks like this will be a fun exam. I'll be sure to brush up on printing and X11 before sitting it.
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Geez... The results for this exam will never be available.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
    If anyone wants a voucher still I have one. Just PM me...