Mcsa/mcse or mcitp:sa/ea

bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
I need a bit of advice. I am starting my Microsoft track next month, and I wanted to know what would be the best way to go about it. I know that the 2003 is a bit dated, however many businesses still use it. On the other hand, I don't want to be in the position whereas I finally finished my MCSA/E and learned that businesses switched over to 2008. When does MCSA/E 2k3 exams expire by the way?

Thanks in advance for replying.icon_cheers.gif
Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:

Comments

• The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are serveral threads about this topic, just do a search and they will come up. My advice is, click this link and look at the number of results being displayed, then click this link and look at the number of results being displayed, and your answer will be pretty clear.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't heard if MS will retire the MCSE/MCSA credentials. I know they are now known as the MCITP, due to Canada having a problem with "engineer".
    MCSE is 7 exams and I think MCITP is 5 exams. You could get the MCSA and then upgrade to the MCITP.
    MCSE has a ton of name recognition, while MCITP isn't as well known.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Never seen a job ad yet listing MCITP as a criteria item. It's always MCSA/E. Guess that will change soon enough though.

Depends on your time frame for completing the MS certs. If you're gonna do it over a few years, may be best to look ahead with the Server 08 set.
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Never seen a job ad yet listing MCITP as a criteria item. It's always MCSA/E. Guess that will change soon enough though.

Depends on your time frame for completing the MS certs. If you're gonna do it over a few years, may be best to look ahead with the Server 08 set.

Well my time frame is between now and the next year this time so. I guess I should do the MCSE 2k3 and upgrade to be on the safe side. Thanks
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like a good plan. I've even met MCSEs who don't know what the MCITPS are icon_lol.gif
  • icademicadem Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had the same doubt, and I have decided to study the version of 2003 and in a future to do the upgrade.
    I am going to begin with 70-270 that it is of xp but they advise me to begin with that of sight in order that I use for the version of 2008.
    I don't know what plan continues....

thank you
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    The main thing to worry about with the MCSE is if you are starting from scratch, make sure you intend on finishing the tests in a timely manner.

Boy would it suck to be 1 test away and ms retire them.
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    They retire exams at the end of March each year. They give pretty good notice regarding which exams are going to be retired, so I wouldn't worry too much about that now. It'll probably be March 31st, 2011, at the earliest.
    I am not interested in the mcse, only in the mcsa.
    The fear that gives me is that they withdraw him before me of time to ending with the examinations.

That is my question, maybe it is more advisable to start with the 2008 certification, but i the problem is that i am a novice in administratin windows 2003

what do you think??
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kimanyd wrote: »
    They retire exams at the end of March each year. They give pretty good notice regarding which exams are going to be retired, so I wouldn't worry too much about that now. It'll probably be March 31st, 2011, at the earliest.

Just to make a clarification... Notice that Psoasman and Dynamik are using the term retire but the original poster used the term expire. The certifications will not expire, the exam track will expire meaning the tests/certifications are no longer offered. So even when Server 2018 (or whatever) comes out those who have the MCSE 2003 will still be certified. So the certification will still have value for a number of years.
    That's changed with the MCTS and MCITPs though!
    Just to make a clarification... Notice that Psoasman and Dynamik are using the term retire but the original poster used the term expire. The certifications will not expire, the exam track will expire meaning the tests/certifications are no longer offered. So even when Server 2018 (or whatever) comes out those who have the MCSE 2003 will still be certified. So the certification will still have value for a number of years.

You are allright, the certification never expires.
    In your opinion, what plan can i have to obtein the MCSA, which exams first.
    I think the first 70-270,then the 70-290 and then the 70-291

After that probably upgrade to mctip 2008.

is it the bet methode?

thank you
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I hold no certifications but my advice would be to get the one in the area you are experienced most in. That will take the least amount of time and you will feel good having that under your belt. Probably Windows XP for most people is a good start.

Others who actually have the MCSE may feel differently.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    That's changed with the MCTS and MCITPs though!

Microsoft removed the expiring of the MCTS/MCITP certs. Once you obtain them, they will always be valid.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Microsoft removed the expiring of the MCTS/MCITP certs. Once you obtain them, they will always be valid.

Since when?

EDIT: Nevermind, I googled and while they removed the 3 year refresh cycle, the MCITP/MCTS still "retire" when mainstream support for the technologies dies off. I think this still differs from the MCSE because i dont the the MCSE ever "retires", but the exams to obtain it retire.

Hell i dont know icon_sad.gif

Yes, but there are 7 exams required for MCSE and some people take as much as 6 months per test. So its something to consider if they arent going to buckle down and get it done.
    I'm well aware of how many exams are required for the MCSE. I hardly think six months per exam is remotely common, and I wouldn't give advice based on that. 2-3 months per exam is a realistic schedule for someone who is somewhat dedicated (i.e. not Snadam).
    I'm well aware of how many exams are required for the MCSE. I hardly think six months per exam is remotely common, and I wouldn't give advice based on that. 2-3 months per exam is a realistic schedule for someone who is somewhat dedicated (i.e. not Snadam).

Or you can choose another forum member, lets say...skrpune...who has 4 tests counting towards MCSE (if A+ and Net+ actually count, i cant remember) and has been taking exams for about 2 years. So thats 1 per 6 months.

Doesnt seem too uncommon ;)
    Bad example dude. She actually takes a load of coursework, kicks ass at her job (gets harassed to move up the ladder all the time), and spoils her dog freaking rotten. Certs don't seem to be a priority for her.

That's like saying 294 typically takes a year, based on Snadam. I'd spend the majority of that time drinking and playing XBL as well; that exam sucks!
    This it is the fear that I have, i will not to study the mcsa 2003 certification and... when i goes to take the exams that it could not do it because they will be retire.
    Bad example dude. She actually takes a load of coursework, kicks ass at her job (gets harassed to move up the ladder all the time), and spoils her dog freaking rotten. Certs don't seem to be a priority for her.

That's like saying 294 typically takes a year, based on Snadam. I'd spend the majority of that time drinking and playing XBL as well; that exam sucks!

And? Im deploying the larget AD Domain in the metro area here and am still finding time to finish out the EA in about 6 months, and i took 2 off.

My original post was valid. Its fair warning to someone that the tests could be retired in the somewhat near future, and 7 tests (a few i hear are killer) is nothing to shake a stick at. Lots of people dont have the time it takes to knock out a cert per month, especially if they dont have previous work experience.