How much pay with just A+ cert

IT Guy I HopeIT Guy I Hope Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just wondering how much pay you get with only the A+ certification. I plan on getting Network+ in the future, but right now I just want the A+ and to get a job.

Thanks.

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Eh from my neck of the woods not alot really. Its an entry level cert designed for an entry level positon so i would look into what range that is for your area and work around that. It will be a good addition to help you land a entry level job. Just done expect super wages - like i said its aimed at entry level work.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    In todays economy don't count on an A+ alone landing you a job.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A+ and some social skills might land you a job at Geek Squad. So you'll start out... say...$9 an hour depending on your experience in retail.
    -Daniel
  • IT Guy I HopeIT Guy I Hope Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    In todays economy don't count on an A+ alone landing you a job.

Yeah, I hear that. I am currently unemployed and can possibly afford to get my A+ done. Beyond that I need a means of making money. Is it one flat fee to take both A+ exams, or do you have to pay for each individually?
  • d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A+, Net+ (I don't think Net+ is really necessary) , & MCP are probably enough to get a job @Best Buy Geek Squad or Fry's. Im gonna apply for Geek Squad & Mac Genius. lets see what happen.
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    2 individual exams make up the A+ certification, so yes, you need to register and pay for two separate exams.

As far as what you'll earn with an A+ in wages...depending on where you live, I'd say under $10 (8-9 fairly common), but maybe as much as $12. Considering how many A+ people exist in the market, I'd expect closer to that $8 mark.

Too many talented folks looking for work with more skill then what a A+ tech typically knows.

So, get your A+ and continue getting experience and working on higher level certifications.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Everyone has different experiences. About 10 years ago I took 2 years of vocational schooling for the A+ but never took the exam. Instead of continuing my education I spent a lot of time building my own home based networks and learning the basics. I got my first job doing technical support making $15/hour. The only thing on my resume was my HS diploma, 2 years vocational school and a very long list of skills.

10 years later still no certifications or college degree although now that my company is paying for it I am going to try and get a MS certification. Without any certs or college degree I am making a comfortable living. Certifications and degrees will of course help you but don't think you are capped to a certain $$ amount because of certs you do or do not have.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I didn't have any certifications when I got my first technical support job making 32,000 a year. Now I have 4 CompTIA certs and I only bumped up to around 35,000.

It all depends on you.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    I was offered a job at $12.75 (entry lvl) I'm on the tail end of a 2 year degree for network admin. Couldn't take it because of class, but he said they'd look for me when I graduate.

Since then I've score the Network+ and got done with a science class over summer. I want the A+ by the time I graduate.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • spartensparten Banned Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    a+ will get you nothing tbh, no one seems to be hiring unless you have connects.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Social skills and a certification can help nab you a job. It did for me.

Now I am dealing with two job interviews in a State I do not live in. I have not yet finished my AAS and I have the Network+ certification. That is all. Don't expect to make allot on the entry level. I don't expect either of these employers to offer more than $14 hour to me.

Also, it help to network with others and get a degree.
  • mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got my A+ last year and moved from working in a bank to PC Refresh contracts making $15 an hour. Got my Net+ and moved to $18 an hour. Got an A.A.S in Computer Info Systems and moved to 60k a year.

Moral of the Story: Stay in school :)

But seriously, it's all about who you know, not what you know. Oh, and it helps to be clearance, so no DUI's gents...
    XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
    Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
    Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."
  • VoiderOfWarrantiesVoiderOfWarranties Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Landed me a $12.00hr. job right now. My current employer does not recognize CompTIA.

Just MS and Cisco. Which I am currently working on.

Studying for CompTIA Network+ N10-004
    Next Goal - CCENT
    Secondary Goal - CCNA
    Tertiary Goal - CCNA Security or Security+
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Landed me a $12.00hr. job right now. My current employer does not recognize CompTIA.

Just MS and Cisco. Which I am currently working on.

I love your Avatar icon_lol.gif, I feel the same way about WalMart! Lousy service, and the place always stinks when I go in there.
  • auntiesocialauntiesocial Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Whoa, where do you guys live???
    I'm in Georgia, and my current position pays $15/hr. No certifications, just a year or so of tech school and 3 years of helpdesk experience. $15/hr isn't like a ton of money, but there's no way I'd consider an $8 or $9/hr job WITH a certification.

I am taking both my A+ exams next week (wish me luck!) in the hopes that I can advance at the company I'm with now -- the lack of A+ is the only thing holding me back right now.
  • Solaris_UNIXSolaris_UNIX Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whoa, where do you guys live???
    I'm in Georgia, and my current position pays $15/hr. No certifications, just a year or so of tech school and 3 years of helpdesk experience. $15/hr isn't like a ton of money, but there's no way I'd consider an $8 or $9/hr job WITH a certification.

I am taking both my A+ exams next week (wish me luck!) in the hopes that I can advance at the company I'm with now -- the lack of A+ is the only thing holding me back right now.

The reason you make more money is because you have 3 years helpdesk experience. This is the equation for determining pay in entry level IT jobs:

{ Experience + Being Awesome with Computers } > Certifications

This is why I tell people to actually go out and volunteer and/or intern at a real job instead to get your feet wet and see what IT is really about instead of going to these B.S. "for profit" schools, but nobody listens to me.... icon_sad.gif

If you know how to design web pages and configure Apache, Postfix and BIND you can make $$$$$$ easily with no certifications as well, but good luck trying to admin the box and keeping the crackers / hackers out if you've got no Linux / Unix sysadmin skills.

ps -e -o pid | xargs -t -n1 pfiles | grep "port: $PORT"

dtrace -n 'syscall::write:entry { @num[zonename] = count(); }'

http://get.a.clue.de/Fun/advsh.html

http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/462/
  • auntiesocialauntiesocial Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The reason you make more money is because you have 3 years helpdesk experience. This is the equation for determining pay in entry level IT jobs:

{ Experience + Being Awesome with Computers } > Certifications

This is why I tell people to actually go out and volunteer and/or intern at a real job instead to get your feet wet and see what IT is really about instead of going to these B.S. "for profit" schools, but nobody listens to me.... icon_sad.gif

If you know how to design web pages and configure Apache, Postfix and BIND you can make $$$$$$ easily with no certifications as well, but good luck trying to admin the box and keeping the crackers / hackers out if you've got no Linux / Unix sysadmin skills.

Gotcha. $8 still seems low, but I suppose it'd be worth it if you were able to get the job and gain some valuable experience to move on to bigger and better things. :)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Gotcha. $8 still seems low, but I suppose it'd be worth it if you were able to get the job and gain some valuable experience to move on to bigger and better things. :)

$8 only seems low because they keep increasing the frigging minimum wage. Otherwise, it is a good amount to start with.

Once some skill is demonstrated, opportunity to improve ones wage will present, but to simply answer the phone and reset passwords for network people who cannot remember their password...it certainly is a job that doesn't demand a ton of skill, so $8 is plenty (depending on the market and the company).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I have an interview just 1 hour from now with best buy for geek squad.
    I just have a major and graduated from Cisco Network Academy.
    I dont have A+ but, I dont have it because I dont have the money for it.
    I took hardware courses in college. My Major is in I.T.
    I also have knowledge in MS servers, System analysis and design. Cobol, RPG, Visual Basic, HTML, XML, Networking (obviously), C++ and more.

And I'll be damn happy to land a job that pays me 8 bucks. I've been looking for a job for over 8 months now. Since I dont have a cert even though I have that knowledge I cant get a job.
    And I cant get a job means I cant pay for my certs. So is quite the **** up.

Is it true that even for geek squad they have like 3 interviews?

Anyways, wish me luck. C ya
    meh
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    I have an interview just 1 hour from now with best buy for geek squad.
    I just have a major and graduated from Cisco Network Academy.
    I dont have A+ but, I dont have it because I dont have the money for it.
    I took hardware courses in college. My Major is in I.T.
    I also have knowledge in MS servers, System analysis and design. Cobol, RPG, Visual Basic, HTML, XML, Networking (obviously), C++ and more.

And I'll be damn happy to land a job that pays me 8 bucks. I've been looking for a job for over 8 months now. Since I dont have a cert even though I have that knowledge I cant get a job.
    And I cant get a job means I cant pay for my certs. So is quite the **** up.

Is it true that even for geek squad they have like 3 interviews?

Anyways, wish me luck. C ya

Good luck!!!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    thank you!

I just got home.
    I'd say it went pretty well.
    Im damn glad I applied for geeksquad and not like regular floor job in the store.
    geeksquad had appointments. Everyone else was "First come, first serves".
    And it was freaking full, the list @ 9:30am had like 45 names in it. When he told me sit over there (they had dark knight playing at least) and the room was full of people I said to myself... sh1t im staying here till like 4pm.
    But it was pretty quick.
    Now to wait for a second call.
    meh