It's official... I'm a collidge edjumucated smarti pants!

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
I recently turned in my senior thesis and completed that along with the last class I needed to satisfy the graduation requirements. I received nearly perfect marks on my thesis (I was second guessing myself along the way with this one, so that is a relief) and corresponding presentation and I am officially over with one of the points of my life where I have worked myself harder than ever before. Shortly after the decision to go back to school for my degree, my wife and I started our family and our first child was introduced to the world. Juggling a full-time job, full-time class load, and family life without neglecting my family has been a challenge. I owe a lot to my wife for dealing with me and making sacrifices during the many countless nights and weekends where I spent hours studying, especially the final weeks as I worked on my thesis. It's been worth it though, the sense of accomplishment is a great feeling - and having a whole bunch of free time again is an even better feeling :D

Now time to take a break for a week or so and slowly ramp up on the certification studies that have been mostly on and off during breaks between semesters :)

Now to add B.S. in Technology Management to my profile ;)

Comments

• miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    You the man.....
    congrats.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, I had no idea you were so close (that's what she said), congratulations!

So are you finally going to get crackin' on those certs, or what? ;)
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    congratulation.

You have my respect for your hard work and discipline.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! It's an awesome feeling, especially when you do it with your priorities in the right place man! Keep at it
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    So are you finally going to get crackin' on those certs, or what? ;)

Yup, time to start cranking them out :D
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    awesome, congrats on the accomplishment!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    Congratulations!
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congratulations...It was difficult to manage all this but you did it !! icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Much respect to you for what you have done mate! sure isn't easy...congrats and wish you best for future endeavors.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif

Maybe you can give me some pointers because Im a newlywed, full time working, full time schooling, cert studying fool. No kid yet but the wife wants to try next year. I feel like its hard to find time for myself now, I cant imagine how you did all that with a kid. Props to you.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Thanks everyone for all of the kind words! :D
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That is no small feat, congratulations!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    way to goicon_cheers.gif

Hopefully you don't have a butt load of student loans to pay off like me icon_wink.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
    Aldur wrote: »
    way to goicon_cheers.gif

Hopefully you don't have a butt load of student loans to pay off like me icon_wink.gif

Thanks!

The student loans I have as well as the current economy may actually dictate how soon I begin to pursue a Master's degree. I wanted to take a slightly longer break (around a year to two) but I may have to begin sooner to defer payments on the loans.

Should all prove to be worthwhile in the end though! I hope :D
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□

The student loans I have as well as the current economy may actually dictate how soon I begin to pursue a Master's degree. I wanted to take a slightly longer break (around a year to two) but I may have to begin sooner to defer payments on the loans.

I actually almost did the same thing. I wanted to just stay in school and go after my Master's and PhD, but decided it was worth the risk to try and find a job (even in this economy).
  • RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Congratz!!

I have just started a Masters and starting to feel the pressure of work/family/Certs/Study.. Its tough, but great to hear you think its worth it! Will keep me going for a bit :)
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

Now to add B.S. in Technology Management to my profile

I have BS in my title as well, although it stands for something else. icon_wink.gif

Well done though for putting in the hard yards. The payoff is nothing but intrinsic value.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on a completing a VERY challenging goal! Best of luck with the future cert grabbin'! Have a beer and relax, hell have 12... :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I recently turned in my senior thesis and completed that along with the last class I needed to satisfy the graduation requirements. I received nearly perfect marks on my thesis (I was second guessing myself along the way with this one, so that is a relief) and corresponding presentation and I am officially over with one of the points of my life where I have worked myself harder than ever before. Shortly after the decision to go back to school for my degree, my wife and I started our family and our first child was introduced to the world. Juggling a full-time job, full-time class load, and family life without neglecting my family has been a challenge. I owe a lot to my wife for dealing with me and making sacrifices during the many countless nights and weekends where I spent hours studying, especially the final weeks as I worked on my thesis. It's been worth it though, the sense of accomplishment is a great feeling - and having a whole bunch of free time again is an even better feeling :D

Now time to take a break for a week or so and slowly ramp up on the certification studies that have been mostly on and off during breaks between semesters :)

Congratulations! I totally relate to this. Your number 1 priority is what you have going on at home because that is your life. Enjoy spending as much time with the family as you can do now before you hit the certification tread mill, both you and your wife deserve some time out.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats! That's quite a schedule you had there. Way to stick with it icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

Congratulations. . .

. . . and if you don't mind my asking, from what school?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done. Your family will be proud.

Good luck for the future.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    congrats on this great accomplishment. I am planning on taking on a bs in i.t. and when I start my first class i will be 26 kinda sucks that I waited this long.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    congrats on this great accomplishment. I am planning on taking on a bs in i.t. and when I start my first class i will be 26 kinda sucks that I waited this long.

It's also kinda awesome that you didn't wait longer icon_cool.gif
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Shortly after the decision to go back to school for my degree, my wife and I started our family and our first child was introduced to the world. Juggling a full-time job, full-time class load, and family life without neglecting my family has been a challenge.

Lots of respect.

I went back to school in my late 20's after joining the army and getting married. I had a full time job for the last 30 hours or so that I took...and I thought it was almost too much. Now with kids of my own, I have a whole different level of respect for people that have a job & family, and then go to college.

Grats on finishing btw!