Options

Security+ equivalent to 2 exams for MCSE??

Hello guys,

I have found on many posts here that Security+ from comptia counts as one exam for the MCSE, either an elective 70-298 or the specialization exam 70-299, at least that was my understanding, but today Ive found this:
Note CompTIA Security+ certification satisfies both the MCSE elective requirement and an MCSE Security specialization requirement.

So I guess that means that if I do all core exams and the client exam, I then present my Security+ 201 cert, and it will be valid or replace the 70-298 and 70-299 exams, and I get to be a MCSE:Security Certified?

Is this for real cause as I have said before I tought the security+ only counted for one exam...

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The MCSE requires an elective, such as Exchange, SQL Server, etc. The Security+ is a valid third-party cert that can be used here as well.

The Security specialization requires 298 and two security electives (out of 299, 350, 351, and Security+).

So yes, you can use the Security+ in both places.
  • Options
    maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    So lets see if Im clear...

so security+ = 70-298 and 70-299 ???
  • Options
    No, you need 298 and two security electives. You'd need to do all three of those.

MCSE
    ====
    270 or 620
    Elective (Security+ can be used here)

MCSE:S
    ======
    Security Elective (Security+ can also count for one of these)
    Security Elective (299, 350, or 351)
  • Options
    Ok so I guess, its either the specialization requirement or the elective requirement for MCSE:S or MCSE...

I guess that statement I quoted from the microsoft web site should be reviewed...

Thanks Dynamik
  • Options
    No, it can be both. For example, this was my MCSE:S path:

270, 290, 291, 293, 294, 298, 299, and Security+.

Security+ counted for my MCSE elective and one of my security electives. It just doesn't count for both of your security electives.
  • Options
    Big Oh!... Thanks Dynamik... You did practically the same path that I have planned... I say practically because im hesitating about doing the 70-620 exam which will count as the client exam for the MCITP:EA upgrade, or doing 70-270 and 70-280...
  • Options
    Might as well do 620 (which is a hell of a lot easier than 270 anyway) and kill two-birds with one stone. Vista didn't even exist when I did my 270 icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It all depends on what your use in your place of work. If XP is still used then do the 270, if Vista is now used then do the 620.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On this same thought could you go 620, 290, 291, Security+ to do the MCSA?
  • Options
    On this same thought could you go 620, 290, 291, Security+ to do the MCSA?

Correct.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks Dynamik!