BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Info just popped up in my email:

Lockheed Martin Strategic Sourcing

Sunnyvale, CA
• Denver, CO
• Orlando, FL
• GAITHERSBURG, MD
• other select sites

In case anyone is interested in the areas or moving to them.

Comments

• JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    This is the main question, do you have to move to these cities in order to apply or can you apply from the current location?

Its my belief that that is your not a local candidate, they are not going to look at your resume.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    This is the main question, do you have to move to these cities in order to apply or can you apply from the current location?

Its my belief that that is your not a local candidate, they are not going to look at your resume.

Is that just Lockheed, or are you speaking generally? I'm currently in discussions with places in Baton Rouge, Chicago, and Pittsburgh.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Is that just Lockheed, or are you speaking generally? I'm currently in discussions with places in Baton Rouge, Chicago, and Pittsburgh.

Woa.

Are these companies willing to pay for you to relocate or are you going to cover that cost?

In my general experience if I apply for jobs where I am not currently located, I never hear back and I figure I'm disqualified not with the lack of certs/experience, and also the fact in that I am not a local candidate.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    I'm going to ask for assistance, but it's not a deal-breaker if they don't.

Do you just fire a resume off and wait? Have you tried calling and following-up with someone in HR or in the IT department?
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Lockheed is a great company to work for. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I actually had a few offers from them (actually PAE which is sub), but turned them down. If you don't mind a little adventure there are plenty of super high paying jobs overseas. My offers were for over $200K for 12 months as a sys admin.

I will give you a heads up. You will be getting a security clearance for the majority of jobs Lockheed has open. They are a defense contractor. If you have anything in your background that would prevent it, prepare to explain, or possibly ruled out immediately once it is found out. The bad thing is, this can come after you have been working on the job for a few months (if you did manage to clear the interim clearance process). Just be advised of it :)

To all those who apply, I wish you the best of luck!!
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I get calls all the time for positions in VA and DC since I work in IT and possess an active security clearance. If you posses an active Secret or Top Secret you will get moved to the front of the line asap.

If you had one that lapsed you can still get hired as well because you were cleared at one time. The problem is if you do not possess one depending on the position you get it can be some time before you actually get cleared and an interim can get you started on the project but you can get canned at any time once the clearance clears and something comes up.

In my last job we had a guy that was only on the help desk that had an interim and something came up after 6 months and he was let go.

In my current job they hired a guy with no clearance but had a skill that was needed. He sat in the temp worker section outside our office area and surfed the web for 8 months getting paid of course. He married a Russian mail order bride and he traveled there a few times over the previous year. It was taking forever just to get him an interim, finally our company just said to hell with it and let him go.

I got contacted off of Linkedin when I changed my status to "actively looking" for a position in DC. Problem is I have a pregnant 35 weeks wife and a house in Michigan.....
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I get calls all the time for positions in VA and DC since I work in IT and possess an active security clearance. If you posses an active Secret or Top Secret you will get moved to the front of the line asap.

If you had one that lapsed you can still get hired as well because you were cleared at one time. The problem is if you do not possess one depending on the position you get it can be some time before you actually get cleared and an interim can get you started on the project but you can get canned at any time once the clearance clears and something comes up.

In my last job we had a guy that was only on the help desk that had an interim and something came up after 6 months and he was let go.

In my current job they hired a guy with no clearance but had a skill that was needed. He sat in the temp worker section outside our office area and surfed the web for 8 months getting paid of course. He married a Russian mail order bride and he traveled there a few times over the previous year. It was taking forever just to get him an interim, finally our company just said to hell with it and let him go.

I got contacted off of Linkedin when I changed my status to "actively looking" for a position in DC. Problem is I have a pregnant 35 weeks wife and a house in Michigan.....

Yeah it's a party. I'm currently in interim as we speak. I got a nice clearance upgrade by taking a new job. It's pretty scary I could be let go if something comes up. I should be in good shape though.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah it's a party. I'm currently in interim as we speak. I got a nice clearance upgrade by taking a new job. It's pretty scary I could be let go if something comes up. I should be in good shape though.

Pretty much its easy depending on IT level you need. I was given IT1 since I do Enterprise work, our network admins get IT2 and help desk get IT3.

Criminal background checks are quick and easy, credit is also. The interview process is pretty easy but I have a terrible memory and totally screwed up my dates of employment which required another interview for me to clarify to the investigator how I have a bad memory and require my wife to aide me in remembering stuff lol.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah, the "other select sites". I wonder if Stennis is one of those.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm going to ask for assistance, but it's not a deal-breaker if they don't.

Do you just fire a resume off and wait? Have you tried calling and following-up with someone in HR or in the IT department?

Ya, I typically fired off a resume. Have no idea on how to followup, seems like a pretty big company. How do you find out who to followup with and what is the best way to do it?

-unknown
    I cheated and had contacts refer me to the people in the first place icon_redface.gif

I'd just call and ask for the HR department and see they can tell you who is responsible for the job posting. I'm actually working with smaller companies (~50), so that would be pretty easy.
  • TriMarkCTriMarkC Member Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a former US Marine, so I've had various security clearances in the past. The difficulty I'm finding in today's market is that the only organization that is willing to hire former cleared (aka "Clearable") new job candidates are the US Feds themselves, and even then its not always a given. Even with insufficient supply and high demand for secured personnel, when position specs say "clearable" or "able to attain and maintain X security clearance", it is extremally difficult to get firms to consider you.

Is anyone else seeing this, as well? And can anyone suggest firms that are hiring clearable personnel or solutions that they know work to get the attention of key hiring managers?
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The clearance process really isn't as difficult as most people make it out to be. If you're honest, have good intentions, and haven't committed any serious crimes, you should be OK. Depending on the clearance, of course, as every agency has different policies in place.

Some commercial vendors hire people with clearances, Sprint/AT&T do I believe..
  • TriMarkCTriMarkC Member Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    The clearance process really isn't as difficult as most people make it out to be. If you're honest, have good intentions, and haven't committed any serious crimes, you should be OK.

I agree! The issue is convincing firms that already understand the clearance process that I am not only highly qualified for the position(s), but will also be easy to clear, so let's move forward and get me working on their projects.

Frustrating!

BTW, has anyone else seen positions in IT management for "clearable" personnel? I'm still updating my target list for firms. Thanks!

TriMarkC
    TriMarkC wrote: »
    I agree! The issue is convincing firms that already understand the clearance process that I am not only highly qualified for the position(s), but will also be easy to clear, so let's move forward and get me working on their projects.

Frustrating!

BTW, has anyone else seen positions in IT management for "clearable" personnel? I'm still updating my target list for firms. Thanks!

TriMarkC

There are tons of positions out there for contractors. Almost every alphabet agency has contractors. Being that you are former military person, there shouldn't be any problems for you to find a position. If you are willing to hit the desert, there are lots of open positions there. They actually prefer that you have mil experience. I know you are looking management, but usually contractor gigs are more hands on. Most management positions are through the feds themselves. Here is a short list. You can check and see what positions are open.

Firms for contractors:
    Lockheed
    PAE (Lockheed sub contractor)
    General Dynamics
    L-3 Communications
    ITT Systems
    DRS Technologies
    Vykin Technologies
    SAIC
    Keane Federal Systems
    CGI
    CSC
    CACI
    Northrup
    Apptis
    Tygart Technology
    Dyncorp (they are a little less on the IT systems however)

Here is a good website for cleared candidates:
    Security Clearance Jobs - ClearanceJobs.com They have CONUS and OCONUS positions.