Got a Offer Letter!

t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
I got a offer letter today. My title will be a LAN Administrator. But, the price is not up to par. I have a degree. I been with the company for 1 year now. That is the only professional experience I got. They offer me 35k. I do not know if i should take it. The person I work with is leaving, so they are in a situation now. I think I am worth 40k even though I have no certs and just a degree. I am working on my certs. What do you guys think. I like the company, but I feel that 40k would be best for me.

Thanks in advance.
Knowledge is Power.

Comments

• sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you think you are worth more and can justify it to the company, then do a counter-offer stating what you want and why you are worth it. Most of the time when a company makes an offer they will low ball you and expect a counter offer.

I asked some about this as well in one of my recent threads, you might want to take a look as well.

Good luck and congrats on the offer letter!
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    You could always come back with a counter offer stating that you will accept the 35k, but when you get your certs they bump it up to 40k.

That way it can be a win-win for both parties, as it gets you on the job experience, plus you are gaining certification knowledge along the way.

If you do do this, make sure you get it in writing :)
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Always try to negotiate. If you know the previous guy's salary that will make it even easier. Otherwise just as mentioned work out a game plan to put a dollar amount to what you are bringing to the company.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Know the limit and don't take too much risk in today market.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I dont know what the cost of living is like in Orlando (which is a big factor in this), but I wouldn't give much more than 30k to a 1year experience + degree. Of course, it depends on what your duties are in this role as well, but you generally have to prove yourself more before you start seeing $20/hr+

There is no harm in a counter offer, but I wouldn't make it an ultimatum as I am sure there are 100 people in the area prepared to take 35k right now for your job.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you do a counter offer, dont throw in that the last guy was making XX and you think you deserve that. You dont know what their situation is (how many years in that position, degree, certs, overall experience, etc).

I do like the idea of asking for XX after certain certs are reached that are relevant to your work center.
  • t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    I talked to HR and they said I would get 2 weeks paid vacation. 1 week paid sick days. I mean I will be making like double the money now. I was just thinking with my previous experience I would get more. I know they had a raise freeze this year. So, since I am getting hired now that would mean I wouldn't get a raise since Id be starting now. This is so hard for me since this is my first true job out of college.

Especially if I am going to be picking up the other guys responsibilities. I mean he is going to help me and teach me things, but I don't want to feel like I am not getting what I deserve. I wish I had something else lined up, but I don't.
    Knowledge is Power.
    My boss does not believe it Certs. I mean he doesn't look at them like others do.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    t3ch_guru wrote: »
    My boss does not believe it Certs. I mean he doesn't look at them like others do.

I tend to look at certs as a means to fill in gaps in knowledge because no way in heck are you going to do everything from scratch in a network. I also look at certs as something you either use for your annual reviews to show your continuing education or a way to rise over the other resumes in your job search.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    negotiate a little but I wouldn't turn it down if it's less than 40k.. if you're doubling your income like you said, then you should be celebrating, and planning on working hard to get the raises (just cuz there's a freeze this year doesn't mean there will be one next year). Maybe next year, after some good hard work, you get a raise to 40k..
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    The way the job market is currently I would be very timid about turning that down. With only one year of experience and a degree it seems honestly like a good deal to me. Get your experience up and then you can take a swing at something bigger. Go out and celebrate! Congrats!
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
    But it isnt my first tech job. I have worked at other computer shiops, but part time. Isnt that experience?
    Knowledge is Power.
    But it isnt my first tech job. I have worked at other computer shiops, but part time. Isnt that experience?

Oh I see. I still think its probably a good offer. I worked as a systems admin for about that much money not very long ago. Just take what you can get in this market. You can always up your skillset and then find something better after a while.
  • pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, even part time experience is experience. I would also suggest listing any non-paid or volunteer experience you can bring to the table.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What you are basing $40k on? Is that what the guy you're replacing is making?

How does your previous experience map to this job's responsibilities? Simply being in the industry for X amount of time doesn't automatically prepare you for any IT-related job.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It seems like you might be demanding a lot just because you know the company needs someone since the guy is leaving. Would you take the offer if the guy was still there? Or would you ask more? How do you know that the company isnt hiring you are only a temporary assistant for that position while they are looking for someone with more experience? Your title is good and if you work at the job and you learn you will get a lot more later on. Im in NY but i would love to come down there for 1-2 years and take your job if you dont like it.
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    It seems like you might be demanding a lot just because you know the company needs someone since the guy is leaving. Would you take the offer if the guy was still there? Or would you ask more? How do you know that the company isnt hiring you are only a temporary assistant for that position while they are looking for someone with more experience? Your title is good and if you work at the job and you learn you will get a lot more later on. Im in NY but i would love to come down there for 1-2 years and take your job if you dont like it.

Lol come take it now. I took the offer lol. You guys are right I would be a idiot not to take it. So, it is official I am a LAN Administrator. I will be learning A LOT, so I am happy. Thanks for all of the replies. At least I am getting the professional experience.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Be happy that you received an offer letter in these hard times. icon_thumright.gif
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Congrats on the job. If you're doubling your money than you win anyway.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FWIW, I saw some article recently that said on average, those who negotiate for their pay receive a 7% increase in salary before being hired. Worth it IMO..who knows what your annual raise will be..if any..
    Lol come take it now. I took the offer lol. You guys are right I would be a idiot not to take it. So, it is official I am a LAN Administrator. I will be learning A LOT, so I am happy. Thanks for all of the replies. At least I am getting the professional experience.

congrats!
  • ats3ats3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your new position!
    Thanks everyone.
    Knowledge is Power.