How to run Server 2008 on a box, and use a virtual vista client to administrate it

monoaminemonoamine Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm practicing for the MCITP overall, and the AD exam right now. I need a vista client but I don't have another machine.

SO

How do I configure a vista client to operate off my physical server box, can this be done?? Has anyone done this? Also, if I don't own a domain name, do I use the suffix .local?

thanks so much

James

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    monoamine wrote: »
    How do I configure a vista client to operate off my physical server box, can this be done??
    Cheapest way to do it is download a copy of VirtualBox, create a new virtual machine and install whichever OS you want. It's really pretty easy.
    monoamine wrote: »
    Also, if I don't own a domain name, do I use the suffix .local?

Absolutely, you can use lan, local, test, basically anything that isn't a real top level domain.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It really wouldn't matter if you used a TLD, especially for a lab domain. If it were a business, you'd probably want to go with the TLD you own because of consistency, but even then it's not a requirement.

I used mcse08.fosho for mine lab domain icon_lol.gif

And yes, welcome :D
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You could take the extra step and use the physical 2008 box to run Hyper-V and install a Vista virtual machine on that. Assuming your hardware can run hyper-v, that is.

Otherwise just use Virtual PC or VirtualBox or waste some money on VMware Workstation :P
    Workstation is worth every penny. It does all kinds of awesome things like simulate slow site links icon_cool.gif
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For those that don't know, not using a TLD is known as using a single label domain. Exchange 2007 SP1 setup temporary blocked single label domains and there's been talks about Exchange 2010 not supporting it but they're now supporting it but advising against it.

Basically, never use single label domains in production. It's not a requirement not to, but it could be detrimental for you in the future.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    royal wrote: »
    For those that don't know, not using a TLD is known as using a single label domain. Exchange 2007 SP1 setup temporary blocked single label domains and there's been talks about Exchange 2010 not supporting it but they're now supporting it but advising against it.

Basically, never use single label domains in production. It's not a requirement not to, but it could be detrimental for you in the future.

Wow, that is a bit extreme like. I know several companies that use .local for their AD domains, granted they all use the pos that is notes, so I guess that potentially means they will be using notes for the rest of their days :p
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    A single-label domain would be something like company, not company.local.

You can use things like corp.company.com or company.local with Exchange.
    Whats wrong with using a non-TLD for exchange? It was my understanding that it can be configuired to use company.com externally and company.local on the inside..?
  • monoaminemonoamine Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmm . . well I'm not sure where the discussion veered off loll . . but thank you very much for all the answers! I just have the original hyper-v which is kind of a pain in the ass, so thanks again I'll try these suggestions.
  • monoaminemonoamine Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the welcome as well I'll keep updated, appreciate it
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I would use Hyper-V if at all possible. It is bare-metal, hypervisor based and will give you the best performance. You should be able to update Hyper-V to the most current version as long as you have the right edition of Server 2008. If that isnt possible, I would use VMWare's Server product. It's free and very easy to administer.

As for all of the TLD talk, here's the scoop;

Best practice is to never use a routable TLD on your internal AD domains. This can cause DNS issues for you down the road, it's just better to avoid. I've seen resolution problems a few times because of this, problems that required DNS workarounds to be put into place when if it had been avoided, these workarounds wouldnt have been necessary.

Single Label names are also not recommended in AD. There are a whole host of issues that can arise by not using a FQDN for your internal domain. Just dont use an internet routable TLD name (i.e. org, com, net etc) and you'll be fine.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
    Thats what i thought, sysadmin4066. I designed the AD at work, and did not use an internet routable TLD name.