Options

What degree=what Job?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
What degree=what Job?

Hello, everyone!
I’m currently working towards my A.A.S. IT Degree (Associate of Applied Science degree), and I keep getting the feeling that most companies require that you have a 4 year degree, if you want to have a senior level Networking job, is this true? Below I listed the jobs titles that I want to hold some day. Can someone please tell me if they require a 4 year degree? Also, is there a combo of certs and experience that will make employers bypass the 4 year degree requirement? I have seen more and more jobs that are network based, that require a 4 year degree. Also, is a 4 year degree a must to obtain a networking job?
Ps I’m taking my A+ essentials on September 28th ,and then taking the hardware exam in November or December of this year.. Also, I plan on studying, and taking the Network+ Exam, before I graduate.
Help Desk=Well I know you don’t need a degree for this one
Certs A+, Network+, maybe a Microsoft one too?
System administrator=
Networking administrator=
Systems Engineer=
Network Engineer=
I bet I missed a ton of networking jobs, but these are the ones that caught my eye.
Are 4 year degrees in the IT realm employer specific or Job specific? For example I know most programming jobs require 4 year degrees, but there a lot programmers out there that have 2 year degrees, and they just fine.
Thanks in advance for all your help!
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A lot of places do ask for a four-year degree. However, that may not be a firm requirement. You might be able to make up for it with certs, experience, a personality, etc.

The more education you have the better though; it's never going to hurt you.
  • Options
    Phliplip112Phliplip112 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    A lot of places do ask for a four-year degree. However, that may not be a firm requirement. You might be able to make up for it with certs, experience, a personality, etc.

The more education you have the better though; it's never going to hurt you.

This is true

This may be area dependent but I see a lot of "4 year degree or equivalent experience" with those type of jobs that you listed. Even the Help Desk occasionally will want a 4 year degree but mostly say " 1-2 years in X type environment"

So basically a 4 year degree & little experience or 2 year & couple years experience is what it sounds like they are asking for.

4 year IT degrees usually touch on a little bit of everything. You will prob take a class on programming, networking, systems, throw a little management in there too. You don't have to pick a degree specific to networks or systems.
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends on the company. Some require a bachelors as mandatory. Others will substitute some or all of your experience for a degree.

For government jobs you can pretty much depend on needing the degree.

A four year degree will not guarantee you a job but you will be SO much more competitive if you have one.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having a 4 year degree can only help you. However, it is very possible to land any of these jobs without one. I would say that having some mid-upper level certs and experience will usually compensate the lack of a 4 year degree, especially if you have at least an Associates as well. I'm in no way saying that any of these are a replacement for a Bachelors, but it is very possible to land any of the positions you listed with only an AS, certs, and experience.

I know this, because this was true for the job I have now (Systems Administrator). In the job description, they listed a 4yr degree as being required. Well, all I have is an AS degree in networking services technology, my certs to the left, and a couple years experience. I'm sure interviewing well also played a factor, but the fact that I beat all the other candidates says something.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology