Best Simulator to use

canthony1980canthony1980 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All. I have finally started the CCNA. I am taking the two exam route. My budget do not permit me to buy the real equipement. I want to know what is the best simulator to use.

Comments

• hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    I'd recommend using packet tracer its perfect for the CCNA, could also try GNS3 which you can use real IOS you cant really practice much switching with this though.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The CCNA 640-802 Network Simulator by Cisco Press is supposed to be pretty good and you get a load of labs included for you to work on.
    GNS3/dynamips requires you to acquire a copy of IOS from a supported platform.
    Packet Tracer is only for Cisco NetAcad students or alumni.
  • jeesarejeesare Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Packet Tracer and recommend it along with older Boson simulators.
  • canthony1980canthony1980 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i was looking at ccna network visualiser 6 is that any good
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would recommend Packet Tracer and GNS3 as well. The Packet Tracer you can get some decent experience with switching. Especially if you won't be able to get any hands on. I'd take these two and run!
  • SnyckSnyck Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    canthony1980, I actually just passed the CCNA (640-802) exam on Thursday of last week.

I used the Sybex 6th Edition book by Todd Lammle along with Dynagen/Dynamips and the Boson 7.0 Simulator/Labs.

I felt that Dynagen provided the best practice once you learned how to use it. You can find information at dynagen.org. They have a good forum and tutorial as well for new users. It's also free, so that helps a bit.

Dynagen Download

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the Boson labs. I mean, they served their purpose, but it wasn't everything I was looking for. It was also pretty expensive for the full version.

PM me if you want to know more about Dynagen stuff. It can be tough to get started on.
    Current Certifications: CCNA (640-802), VTSP4

Certs in Progress: VCP4

Future Certs: CCNA:Wireless and Cisco UCS FE
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Packet Tracer should be your first stop. If you have a copy of Todd Lammles CCNA book you will notice he has heaps of labs which he walks you through and sets up. Just do them in Packet Tracer.

I also used the labs from Chris Bryants ultimate CCNA study guide. Heaps of hands on labs in there.

I also used the networks from the CBT nuggets videos and followed along with Jeremy and took notes. Then i setup the networks again myself. Very good idea.

This should be more then enough to get you through the hands-on aspect of the CCNA.
  • BazWalBazWal Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Snyck wrote: »
    canthony1980, I actually just passed the CCNA (640-802) exam on Thursday of last week.

I used the Sybex 6th Edition book by Todd Lammle along with Dynagen/Dynamips and the Boson 7.0 Simulator/Labs.

I felt that Dynagen provided the best practice once you learned how to use it. You can find information at dynagen.org. They have a good forum and tutorial as well for new users. It's also free, so that helps a bit.

Dynagen Download

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the Boson labs. I mean, they served their purpose, but it wasn't everything I was looking for. It was also pretty expensive for the full version.

PM me if you want to know more about Dynagen stuff. It can be tough to get started on.

Snyck, have you looked at GNS3? It's really just a more graphical front end for Dynamips and, IMHO, seems easier to get running.
    Snyck, have you looked at GNS3? It's really just a more graphical front end for Dynamips and, IMHO, seems easier to get running.

Unfortunately, I was under the gun to get my CCNA knocked out ASAP. So I didn't get any spare time to mess around with GNS3. I actually was planning on giving it a try now that I have some time.

I am pretty comfy with a CLI interface, so Dynamips worked just fine for me. I'm hoping to use GNS3 to study for the CCNA:S once I start that process.

• hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    I am pretty comfy with a CLI interface, so Dynamips worked just fine for me. I'm hoping to use GNS3 to study for the CCNA:S once I start that process.

Yeh GNS3 is really good providing you can get hold of IOS's im currently going through the CCNA:Security if you need any help let me know :)
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    Yeh GNS3 is really good providing you can get hold of IOS's im currently going through the CCNA:Security if you need any help let me know :)

Once you land your first Cisco Cert you should have access to downloading the IOS's from the Cisco site if i'm not mistaken.

I'll have to look into it further, but I know that once I passed the CCNA, they gave me a logon/pass to use on their site.

Also, if you have Cisco products at work you should be able to obtain a CCO account. That is where I was able to get all the IOS's from. I just asked our Network admin to create a CCO account for me.

I'm sure i'll be moving myself over to the CCNA:S forums once I'm nearing the end of my Sec+ studying. I'll hit ya up if I have any questions, thanks!

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Once you land your first Cisco Cert you should have access to downloading the IOS's from the Cisco site if i'm not mistaken.
    Switch IOS and Wireless AP IOS images have been available with a guest level Cisco CCO web account.

Download of Router IOS (and most everything else) requires a Smartnet Support Contract.

You may be able to get access though your job -- but at some point Cisco may start to track Support Contract vs Downloads.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505

I'll have to look into it further, but I know that once I passed the CCNA, they gave me a logon/pass to use on their site.
    Its CCIE that gets full access. The lower certs don't get it.
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Get Packet tracer and forget about the rest until you pass the CCNA. it willl alllow you to do all the simulation you need to get to CCNA level.

After that, it's real equipment or the simulators...
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AlexMR wrote: »
    Get Packet tracer and forget about the rest until you pass the CCNA. it willl alllow you to do all the simulation you need to get to CCNA level.

Amen to that. You can do just about anything you will need to do in Packet Tracer. After all it is designed for CCNA academy students.