Options

Random Personal Privacy/Security Thoughts

2»

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    There are devious and sick people out there so some caution would be wise I think. But at the same time I do wonder if the worry about risks like this lead to more and more distrust and more guns in the world.

I like guns! :)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like guns! :)
    Me too. My problem is with the people wieling them....
  • Options

wieling? You mean actually using them icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif That doesn't bother me much, I grew up in a family of police officers. Guns are a norm.

I'm not trying to start anything. Actually, I am getting a headache by all the twists and turns this thread is taking icon_tongue.gif . Yes, WEIRD turns!
  • Options
    wieling? You mean actually using them icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

Please do not feed the retreds who cannot type...icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    Please do not feed the retreds who cannot type...icon_redface.gif

I apologize, I didn't mean to offend. I have had people eat me up for it as well. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, this is a different posting. Ill make sure i note everything down, so when i need the info i have it ready :)

Seriously though, there are those that are good and those that are bad. If i had my way, i'd execute all the bad people... (And by bad i mean serious not the fact they stole a loaf of bread)
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    I apologize, I didn't mean to offend. I have had people eat me up for it as well. icon_sad.gif

None taken! Just making sure I get as good as I give!
  • Options
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    If i had my way, i'd execute all the bad people... (And by bad i mean serious not the fact they stole a loaf of bread)

So thats why we have so many bread thieves! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have had people eat me up for it as well. icon_sad.gif

Like my mom!
    Just making sure I get as good as I give!

Like my mom!
  • Options
    Some show you their affection by joining your fan club, I show you my affection by making momma jokes about you... icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Some show you their affection by joining your fan club, I show you my affection by making momma jokes about you... icon_biggrin.gif

If you had ever seen my mom, you'd realize the joke is on you icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    If you had ever seen my mom, you'd realize the joke is on you icon_cool.gif

Hmm... ****?

mom i'd like to flee
  • Options
    Phliplip112Phliplip112 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□

I carry mine pretty regularly where the laws allow it. Does that mean you don't like me?............. icon_sad.gif

As far s personal security I suggest a caliber that begins with 4 and ends in 5.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eMeS, I'm not saying that you’re incorrect. As was mentioned earlier any bit of information can be used to obtain more. My point being is this a perceived threat or real threat? The vast majority of families probably do not have anything to fear from putting this information on a window decal or bumper sticker. It is far more likely that any “attack” on the child will come from a person who already has this information any way.

How would a child’s name and the fact that they play soccer (as advertised on a decal) assist a criminal? I find it unlikely that a criminal who sees your car out at a soccer tournament or simply driving on the road would see the decal and then begin to plot a way to rob your house. It is far more likely that the criminal will begin by casing a neighborhood and see which families have any sort of activities that they attend which keep them away for extended periods of time. This criminal will not need to see any sort of decal to obtain this information. What you do when you leave will be unimportant. It will only matter that you are away for long enough. They will also be able to gain this information in other ways (like when you are packing up the car).

Is it reasonable that a decal on your car with your child’s name and sport makes you more susceptible to being robbed? I just do not see a reasonable connection. Now I do see a connection between putting out a Sony box from your new 50 inch TV and getting robbed. This fits better with how criminals actually operate. They first begin by checking a neighborhood and looking for potential houses that might have what they want. They do not begin by following cars of people whose children play soccer, or base ball, or whatever.

I just don’t see how this information could be used in a significant way in an attempt to rob a house. And as far as in an attempt to attack or harm a child, the average family has far more to fear from an uncle, a grandfather, a friend of the family or even a sibling before they would need to worry about a predator gathering information about a child based on these stickers (as you pointed out). Now the family of a millionaire or the CEO of some international firm or another, I could see this as possibly being an issue, as their families are far more likely to be targeted by a criminal.

I think this really relates to your other post about security… What are the chances of a family being targeted by a criminal so that this information could be used in a significant way? Does worrying about your family/home being targeted so that it prevents you from displaying outward signs of support for their activities not sound like security causing undue restrictions on family life?

Personally I'm not really into the whole security paranoia scene, and I've definitely worked in places where the amount of security applied definitely impacted the ability to accomplish meaningful activity. I'm not seeking to do the same to my family.

However, since my wife and I had our child almost 2 years ago now, I've definitely become more aware of small things that people do that to me seem to entail more risk than reward. The child/activity/sticker things seems to me to be one of those things.

I'm not really saying that we should try to wipe things clean to maintain anonymity. What I am saying is that it doesn't seem wise to me to go out of the way to advertise information that can be used for nefarious purposes. In both cases that I mentioned, people would have to purposely set out to expose the information.

The child/activity/sticker car thing I think is actually the least significant of the two examples I gave. I agree, it's probably low risk. However, I'm left with the thought, "why take the risk?" Certainly it's not an issue yet for me, as my child is not yet playing sports.

Plus, if my kid ever wants to play soccer then there's a whole other issue that needs to be addressed. (Let's see what kind of holy war this statement starts...)

Also, I'd likely have to mature significantly; to the point where I am willing to remove the "Ultra Hot Decal" from my car in order to replace it with something important to my kid. (Let's see how many on here remember the "Ultra Hot" decals...)

The "Tripit" thing actually seems more significant to me. I just don't see a value to displaying to the world where I will be and how long I will be there. Personally, if I were a criminal I would try to use information like that as well as any other sources of information I could glean.

MS
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    Plus, if my kid ever wants to play soccer then there's a whole other issue that needs to be addressed. (Let's see what kind of holy war this statement starts...)

haha. no holy war's I am sure, but...

So many future pele's or maradona's have probably been undiscovered due to that kind of attitude!

Ohh and why are you all assuming dynamik has a mother?
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I honestly don't care what I put out there in terms of people being able to ID where I live. Hell, I welcome anyone that wants to rob myself or my wife (who has several state championships in 1000yard sharp shooting).

range02.JPG

range03.JPG

range01.JPG

*note the bitchin' social engineering pest inspector shirt
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I welcome anyone that wants to rob myself or my wife (who has several state championships in 1000yard sharp shooting).

icon_lol.gif Thats great. My Wife has a better aim than me, and likes martial arts. I would hate to be the idiot who tries to break in. Oh, and I have home defense rounds for my AR-15. No need to worry about them going through the walls....
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

Good ol' Mitnick. Does he talk about his stent in prison and how to stave off the raging homos?
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    bgrablin wrote: »
    Good ol' Mitnick. Does he talk about his stent in prison and how to stave off the raging homos?

I'm hoping he writes his autobiography soon. I would really like to here his whole story.