Retaining CCNA Knowledge

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
How do you go about retaining the knowledge when you don't use it everyday? In my ICND2 studying I am finding my self a bit rusty on the ICND1 stuff (been a year just about since I passed). My fear is that I will pass the CCNA, never get to practice it, and then lose the knowledge.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you will never get to use it, whats the point in having the knowledge in the first place.I find myself continuely revising old material.Initially it might take me a couple of weeks to grasp how a protocol works, a refresh after 6 months it will take about 2 days.
    The more times i refresh the less time it takes, thats why i use this forum, its good for revision.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    How do you go about retaining the knowledge when you don't use it everyday? In my ICND2 studying I am finding my self a bit rusty on the ICND1 stuff (been a year just about since I passed). My fear is that I will pass the CCNA, never get to practice it, and then lose the knowledge.

I personally use Cisco kit quite alot at work so retaining information isnt too bad, there is times when i'll forget certain details but a quick refresh of the books and ill be fine.

A good way to test your knowledge is by answering questions on this forum, if you find that you cant answer a certain question just go back and refresh your mind.
  • SnyckSnyck Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I ran into the same problems after I graduated from school. I had a CCNA class in school and unfortunately my job straight out of school had nothing to do with CCNA material.

When I went to study for the CCNA again, I found that a lot of the information was still there, I just had to skim through the book again to refresh it. I've also found that participating in forums, as hodgey87 said, helps to keep the information fresh in your head.

You could also look into some type of simulator and practice labs to run through on occasion.
    Current Certifications: CCNA (640-802), VTSP4

Certs in Progress: VCP4

Future Certs: CCNA:Wireless and Cisco UCS FE
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    if you keep studying for higher level certs you wont have that problem. In fact, many things that you didnt get perfectly should become more clear when explained at more depth. At least that was my experience with a lot of the WAN concepts on the CCNA that later became so obvious when I was studying for the BSCI.

Keep studying until you find a job that wont let you forget...:p.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    AlexMR wrote: »
    if you keep studying for higher level certs you wont have that problem. In fact, many things that you didnt get perfectly should become more clear when explained at more depth. At least that was my experience with a lot of the WAN concepts on the CCNA that later became so obvious when I was studying for the BSCI.

Keep studying until you find a job that wont let you forget...:p.

This is a really good idea. Study for higher level certifications even if you don't plan on taking it soon. Just take a slow pace but keep it consistent. Keep the CCNA flash cards nearby and/or the portable command guide.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    rowelld wrote: »
    This is a really good idea. Study for higher level certifications even if you don't plan on taking it soon. Just take a slow pace but keep it consistent. Keep the CCNA flash cards nearby and/or the portable command guide.

Yeah that's what I've been doing. I've been going through the CCNP CBT Nuggets videos. Makes the CCNA material a little easier icon_lol.gif:)
  • NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    rowelld wrote: »

This is what I plan to do. I've just finished the CCNA but have another year of my degree to go, and then there's no guarantee I will get a job working with Cisco gear after I have graduated. Although I may focus my dissertation on something that will require a physical environment that I can use Cisco devices for, I am sure to forget a lot of what I have learnt if I do not continue reading. Using this forum is a big help in keeping things fresh too.

A worrying thought is not retaining the knowledge and then being quizzed at an interview in a year or two when you are applying for a Cisco role.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Keep studying for higher level certs, in addition keep labbing on a weekly or daily basis if you want to retain the knowledge.
  • bigheadxbigheadx Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My advice, try and help others as much as possible. When I explain things, it helps give me a better understanding of it as well and I retain it alot longer!
    WIP: CCNA, BS Sys/Net Admin

Taking one byte out of computers, one bit at a time!

College Fund:
    [-/
    ] (15000)
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I agree, it seems like when I explain things to someone else it helps me better understand it and retain the knowledge.