Which online training comapny is best for CCIE - Security.

ParthParth Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm giving CCIE written on 28th of next month. With exam date coming near i'm no where near a complete CCIE package (i did get nuggets but they are no where near complete and are not for security track).

I'm planning to take a bank loan to buy on line course. While the exam cost is $350 (written only) i'm planning to buy an on line self learning solution. I have 2 vendors in mind

1. internetworkexpert

2. ipexpert

Since i'm going to opt for financial aid, i have to make sure i don't invest in the wrong place. Cost of both site's is around 700 USD for workbooks and around 1400 USD for the entire thing (including vids'). I am particularly interested in video's since i have very little time. I can watch vids while traveli or even when i'm very tired or something, that way i won't fall off to sleep; which i'm sure to do if i go in reading post work. (i spend 3+ hours traveling to and from work). I want opinion (would be great if someone has used it) to which solution is better

i have gone through the demo of each and i preferred the ipexpert one but like i said since i'm going to opt for financial aid i want second opinion.

Which one would you recommend ?

PS: This thread is a copy from a different section of the site (I wrote the other post too) i'm hoping i'll get more response here.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'll want to some research on your own for some of the specifics of the packages.

The Internetwork Expert videos are Online training. I think they may have started to offer a DVD copy of the online training videos, but I think someone said they are data DVDs for a PC, not a TV/DVD player. If you want to RIP the video to play on an IPod while you travel, that could be an issue. You'll want to verify the formats available before you buy either. If you use a laptop while traveling, it may not matter.

The Internetwork Expert videos are a combination of lecture and demonstration. If you haven't done the CCSP, then at least you'll get to see what they are talking about and how to do some of the configurations.

The IPExpert DVDs I have (version 2 for the old exam) are mostly lecture with the configs shown on slides. I think I remember a demo of the Concentrator configuration.... but that device is off the exam now.

I actually like the IPExpert CD Audio bootcamps the best. If you've done the CCSP you should be able to visualize the configurations while (I think) Mark Snow lectures. If any newer version still have the Scott Morris Routing & Switching audios, that could help fill in holes in your Routing & Switching knowledge). Since you should know how to do most of the CCSP tasks before working on the CCIE Security, the audios seem to make you "work harder" than the videos. Passive video watching isn't going to get you a CCIE.

While there aren't any prerequisites for the CCIE (since the CCIE predates all the newer, lower level Cisco certification), you'll probably want at least CCNP Routing & Switching knowledge & skills -- and most of the CCSP knowledge before you start on the CCIE Security.

If you're a total Cisco networking noob but a security whiz, then I'd suggest Internetwork Expert. But without any of the CCNP/CCSP knowledge & Skills either package probably will be a costly mistake. You may want to wait to see if you pass the CCIE Security Written exam before you spend any more money on the CCIE Security.

What are you using to prepare for the CCIE Security Written exam?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Parth wrote: »
    I'm giving CCIE written on 28th of next month. With exam date coming near i'm no where near a complete CCIE package (i did get nuggets but they are no where near complete and are not for security track).

I'm planning to take a bank loan to buy on line course. While the exam cost is $350 (written only) i'm planning to buy an on line self learning solution. I have 2 vendors in mind

1. internetworkexpert

2. ipexpert

Since i'm going to opt for financial aid, i have to make sure i don't invest in the wrong place. Cost of both site's is around 700 USD for workbooks and around 1400 USD for the entire thing (including vids'). I am particularly interested in video's since i have very little time. I can watch vids while traveli or even when i'm very tired or something, that way i won't fall off to sleep; which i'm sure to do if i go in reading post work. (i spend 3+ hours traveling to and from work). I want opinion (would be great if someone has used it) to which solution is better

i have gone through the demo of each and i preferred the ipexpert one but like i said since i'm going to opt for financial aid i want second opinion.

Which one would you recommend ?

PS: This thread is a copy from a different section of the site (I wrote the other post too) i'm hoping i'll get more response here.

Nothing to add to Mike's recommendations really except to say they are both good providers of training materials. Unless you have extensive experience of the practical technicalities of cisco networking security and a lot of time on your hands I really don't think a few weeks to prepare for the security written is going to do you much good. Even if you could cram through it I seriously doubt you would really understand things properly. Far too many gaps to fill. The blueprint is very challenging and there are many, many man hours ahead of you to master the mechanisms of any IE track. This isn't process stuff you can pick up from books, you have to understand how a lot of things work at a low level which takes time, perseverence and observation. I would advise that instead of addling your head you relax the test date to November at the earliest. This will give you sufficient time to really assess if you are coping with the reading list properly and give you time to try your hand at some of the introductory labs. CCIE study is very hard going indeed and it may not be for you. Don't forget the blueprint recommended links and books for the written regardless of which vendor product you use.

Good luck!
  • ParthParth Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, i haven't actually got any material to start me off for CCIE. I downloaded CCNA / CCNP / CCSP CBT nuggets and i'm almost done with them.

I'm not a CISCO geek. By that i mean i haven't been working on cisco hardware for ages. But as far as networking fundamentals go, I'm very good with it.

I am good with information security (already done with SSCP, CISSP and CISA [CISA isn't actually core security though]) and i was planning to squeeze CCIE before my CISM in December. However with the recommendation going around here i may postpone my CCIE instead of this month end to next month beginning.

As far as my study plan for CCIE. It was to go through CCNA > CCNP and CCSP nuggets (Cbtnuggets) while i wait for my CCIE study material to come through and go through CCIE study material for couple of weeks and give the test on 28th. I'm really good with command line. I've recently spent some time configuring routers and i really didn't find it a hard job. Although my work was to go through the configuration and ensure it met current standards for security. I did play around a bit :D .. I am going to go over demo of both internetworking and IPexpert once more and decide on which one. I'm going to carry my laptop so i wouldn't need to rip or anything. All the vids' will be viewed on my laptop.

While in all the exams i've passed and the one's i choose to give (CCIE and CISM) i've not used and will never use ****. I ensure i understand the topic well before even testing myself. So i wouldn't worry about leaving the gaps open. My situation is rather desperate and i was giving this exam to help me through this time. Although the cause wasn't correct i was / am going to give the exam ensuring i understand things and can work on the same in real world.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Are you meaning before this December....of 09? The lab or written?
    I'm planning to give CCIE - Security - WRITTEN on 28th of this month.

I may give it in first of November because of opinions given here and by some of my seniors. Somehow everyone believes CCIE cannot be done without six months of studying, ten hours a day. icon_neutral.gif
  • hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    I'm planning to give CCIE - Security - WRITTEN on 28th of this month.

I may give it in first of November because of opinions given here and by some of my seniors. Somehow everyone believes CCIE cannot be done without six months of studying, ten hours a day. icon_neutral.gif

Are you sure your not being abit to optimistic with this date, Im no where near CCIE level yet, but ive read many posts on here where people have spent a long time studying for any of the written exams. By the sounds of it you may need to do 10 hours a day studying to pass the exam by the end of the month.
    I can put in 10 hours (actually 11). I don't mind studying. While I go through CCNA / CCNP most of the thing's i'm seeing is what I've learned or what i know. I am sure i can do CCIE by 28th if i have proper study material. I just need guidance.

:)

*Thank God*

*God Forbid*
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck, you are going to need it.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Are you sure you really understand and respect the CCIE?

Just do not want you to go spending all that money not understanding what your up against.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
    Please don't take the fact that i'm planning to take CCIE within few weeks as a sign of disrespect towards the designation. I fully respect the cert. I'm paying 350 USD for the written which is my gamble. Study material that i purchase will definably aid me in my next attempt, if so.

However I do plan to pass in the first go itself.
    Btw, thanks for the luck.. :)
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    well I started wit the CCNP material from Internetworkexpert last week and I really like it. If the CCIE material is anything like it, and ive heard nothing but good things about it, then I'd go with Internetworkexpert.

But im not studying for my CCIE yet, so take my advice for what its worth.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
    with the recommendation going around here i may postpone my CCIE instead of this month end to next month beginning.
    The sooner you do the CCIE Security Written exam, the sooner you'll have an idea if trying for the CCIE Security Lab by the end of the year is a realistic goal.

While the two exams are quite different -- $350USD multiple choice exam at a Vue test Center vs a $1400USD (travel & lodging not included) 8 hour lab exam offered at 9 Cisco Locations worldwide (no Security CCIE Lab exam at San Paulo) -- neither are easy exams. One is mega Cisco Security trivia (general, device, and software) and the other is mega Cisco Security device/software configuration.
    I'm going to carry my laptop so i wouldn't need to rip or anything. All the vids' will be viewed on my laptop.
    Double check if the package -- especially the Internetwork Expert -- will offer you the DVDs vs the online viewing option as part of a package. If you have working Wi-Fi on your train (or some mobile broadband in your laptop) then you might still be okay to use the IE online classroom while traveling to/from work.
    There is no way i can try for CCIE Lab this year. At the earliest I can give it is next year march. I'm opting for lot of financial aid for my studies. Companies here don't pay for the certs you do.

I asked few CCIE's in the company (none have passed LAB and most of them have given LAB twice) about my idea of giving written this month end or next month first week. While all i got was laughs, I still think it's possible. My fundamentals are stronger then them. I understand more about security then them (none of them have done security, all R&S).

I'll give both internetworking and ipexperts a go tonight and choose a package in next few days (loan is in consideration). I'll be moving my date to November 1st week since i am not sure if i'll get the loan and study material before next week.

I wish and if i do pass in November, ill definitely put up my experience online. With all due respect to the exam, i'm sure it's possible to study for CCIE in a month with understanding of networking only. Router commands can be learn in a months i'm sure.

Thanks to everyone who replied. :)
    I asked few CCIE's in the company (none have passed LAB and most of them have given LAB twice)
    Um -- if they haven't passed a CCIE Lab and earned their CCIE Number, they are NOT a CCIE.

Passing the CCIE Written exam for a CCIE track only qualifies you to sign up to take Lab Exam for that track -- there is no Certification given for passing a CCIE Written exam.

No CCIE Lab Pass -- No CCIE.
    Lol ! yeah.. i just never paid attention to that .. Everyone does call them CCIE but they don't have a CCIE number..icon_cheers.gif .. Guess they are in the same league as me .. :)
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Um -- if they haven't passed a CCIE Lab and earned their CCIE Number, they are NOT a CCIE.

Passing the CCIE Written exam for a CCIE track only qualifies you to sign up to take Lab Exam for that track -- there is no Certification given for passing a CCIE Written exam.

No CCIE Lab Pass -- No CCIE.

Correct.

hehehe..not people passing themselves off as CCIE's again without a number? You either are or you are not CCIE. Tough to take sometimes but there it is.
    There is no way i can try for CCIE Lab this year. At the earliest I can give it is next year march. I'm opting for lot of financial aid for my studies. Companies here don't pay for the certs you do.

I asked few CCIE's in the company (none have passed LAB and most of them have given LAB twice) about my idea of giving written this month end or next month first week. While all i got was laughs, I still think it's possible. My fundamentals are stronger then them. I understand more about security then them (none of them have done security, all R&S).

I'll give both internetworking and ipexperts a go tonight and choose a package in next few days (loan is in consideration). I'll be moving my date to November 1st week since i am not sure if i'll get the loan and study material before next week.

I wish and if i do pass in November, ill definitely put up my experience online. With all due respect to the exam, i'm sure it's possible to study for CCIE in a month with understanding of networking only. Router commands can be learn in a months i'm sure.

Thanks to everyone who replied. :)

A lot of companies don't pay for certification training to be honest. You will find a lot of us here are doing the studies outside of work hours. If you have the aptitude you can clear lab prep inside 12 months. But you will have to find lots of time daily to study to accomplish that. Talk to your employer honestly about your desires and get as much support to prepare for the lab on works time as you can. It all adds up and it all helps. You dont want to be reliant on lab prep late evenings and weekends if your days are already busy with work responsibilities and you have little ones at home. One hour studying fresh during 9 - 5 is worth two after 9pm IMHO.

Good luck!
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Turgon wrote: »
    Correct.

hehehe..not people passing themselves off as CCIE's again without a number? You either are or you are not CCIE. Tough to take sometimes but there it is.
    Same thing happens at my company there are two CCIE's here. Another guy is a Senior Voice Engineer who has passed the written and most of the sales, PM types around the office refer to all three of us as CCIE's when talking to clients. This practice is intentional, unethical and really bothers me. Less bothersome but more prevalent seems to be the reference to a "CCIE Written" as in X engineer is a CCIE Written. It is hard to explain to someone who hasn't gone through the program that there is really no comparison.
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    The CCIE is not a race and this thread makes my smile. I had been studying for the CCIE on and off when I lost my job and was like that's it I am going to do this. I studied what I thought was hard for like a month or so and then took a mock lab long story short I got a 28%.
    The CCIE is a long journey my advice would be to enjoy it because its gonna be a while. If you have no other obligations school/work/family/friends etc I would say your time line is about right to a bit optimistic.