IT Admin position

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
hey i know I posted that the company I work wanted to interview me for a Desktop Support position, but now it seems the title is IT Administrator (according to the email). This is all internal things, but I'm excited about to know what they really do. I know they have a couple of virtual servers in our data center that they manage, and of course they take care of internal issues. They also maintain the VoIP system we have in place here. Not really sure about the ins and outs. But I do know, that whatever it is, and hopefully if it's a step up, that it will help keep me on my toes and want to learn more. I feel anything that is a step up, should want you to do stay learning so you can keep stepping up. Hopefully it goes well.
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh yeah. Interview is next Monday.

Suit and Tie? I would dress nice, but was thinking since I know these guys that maybe a whole suit would be over kill? Then again, I do suits, and think the impression, would say I really want the job, if it fits me.
    Next up
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Always dress for the job you want, not the one you have.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd wear a suit, no question. It's better to be overdressed than under-dressed.
    That's what I will do. Tell me this. Would you tell your current manager that you are interviewing for another position in the company?
    Next up
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone else on their dress motto.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    murdatapes wrote: »
    That's what I will do. Tell me this. Would you tell your current manager that you are interviewing for another position in the company?
    Depends...how is your relationship with this manager, and will it get back to him/her that you're interviewing? Will he/she take the news well, or feel threatened or like you're jumping ship? It's usually good to be honest, but not if it's going to jeopardize your current position (just in case you don't get the other position).
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    Me and the manager are real cool. And he probably will end up finding out, cause he will be working the same day I interview, I mean unless he doesn't come upstairs. I think I will just interview.
    Next up
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    Depends...how is your relationship with this manager, and will it get back to him/her that you're interviewing? Will he/she take the news well, or feel threatened or like you're jumping ship? It's usually good to be honest, but not if it's going to jeopardize your current position (just in case you don't get the other position).

Im with skrpune on this one. As long as it does not jeopardize the job you currently hold. Go for it man!!!

Always dress for the position you want. It shows the employer that you are serious, even though you know them...icon_cool.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Me and the manager are real cool. And he probably will end up finding out, cause he will be working the same day I interview, I mean unless he doesn't come upstairs. I think I will just interview.

If I were your manager I would want to find out from you and not someone else. But as others have pointed out it really depends on your relationship.
  • BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not neccessarily a suit - but at least slacks, long-sleeved dress shirt, tie, and nice shoes.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • rlebahrlebah Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Maybe I am reading it wrong, But if you come to work in a suit and tie. You are going to have Interview written all over you!

Rule of thumb - Suit = Interview
    Whistling (while walking) = Means Resignation Letter has been emailed. :)
    If I were your manager I would want to find out from you and not someone else. But as others have pointed out it really depends on your relationship.

Yes. I have thought about this through out the day and yes I will express to him that I will interview with another department. I was afraid he wouldn't understand, but I would think he would want to know and encourage it.
    Next up
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think I will just interview.
    If your possible new manager calls your old manager and asks if they think you're ready to move up, do you think your possible new manager will be impressed by your failure to keep your current manager "informed" if it comes out that your current manager had no clue about the interview.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If your possible new manager calls your old manager and asks if they think you're ready to move up, do you think your possible new manager will be impressed by your failure to keep your current manager "informed" if it comes out that your current manager had no clue about the interview.

I guess we replied at the same time. Yup, I am going to tell him.
    Next up
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For an internal job, definitely tell you current manager unless there's a REALLY good reason not to.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...