A little help with Dynagen/Dynamips please

WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
I am trying to use Dynamips and Dynagen to get a little hands on experience for the CCNA Security exam, specifically the SDM portion and am unable to wrap my head around how this works.... Is there a tutorial or something on what exactly we need to do to get it installed and configured to work?

Thanks.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    I am trying to use Dynamips and Dynagen to get a little hands on experience for the CCNA Security exam, specifically the SDM portion and am unable to wrap my head around how this works.... Is there a tutorial or something on what exactly we need to do to get it installed and configured to work?

Thanks.
    How to configure SDM with Dynamips Zika
  • ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    Look into GNS3 as well. Much easier to configure.
  • hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    Id recommend looking into GNS3 aswell, i have used dynamips but found GNS3 alot easier to use. GNS3 is just one download aswell where as dynamips you have to install things separately.
    GNS3 is just a gui for Dynagen/Dynamips.
    knwminus wrote: »
    GNS3 is just a gui for Dynagen/Dynamips.

No crap, lol. But the GUI is a heck of a lot easier to use...

I think the manual access to the .net files really helps out sometimes.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

We are netwokers around here. Leave the GUI crap for the Microsoft guys. I bet you prefer the SDM to CLI too icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    We are netwokers around here. Leave the GUI crap for the Microsoft guys. I bet you prefer the SDM to CLI too icon_lol.gif

rrrrright
  • GrayhenTorGrayhenTor Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd also recommend using GNS3 . It's been a godsend in my CCNA preparations. It was easy to set up compared to the Dynamips stuff on it's own.
    There is (or was) a trick to saving projects though, ( until I found this out I would lose all changes made....)

Open GNS3
    Start a lab with objects (routers, pix, switches, etc)
    Click ‘File > New Project’ instead of ‘File > Save’.
    Make sure ‘Export Router Configuration Files’ and ‘Keep working directory files’ are checked.
    Click ‘Yes’ to Apply project settings to the current topology.
    That’s it!

And subsequently just click on the Save Network file button and the configs will get updated