CCSA Lab

BobMeadBobMead Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
If you need help on building a Lab for your Check Point studies let me know.icon_cool.gif
Press RETURN to get started

:roll:

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    BobMead wrote: »
    If you need help on building a Lab for your Check Point studies let me know.icon_cool.gif

Thanks Bob. What do we need to do?
  • BobMeadBobMead Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif Well you want to start out with a choice of do I want a firewall to see real traffic or do I want a virtual lab. You can build a Check Point Splat firewall in about 15 minutes in either case. I usually recommend most people start out with vmware and boot from a splat ISO available from Check Point. You will need atleast two network interface cards, one for incoming and one for outgoing packets. For your Smart Center Mgmt server you only need one interface.

vm-settings
    512MB Ram
    20Gb HDD
    CD = ISO R65 or R70
    2 or more interfaces for a FW, 1 for Smart Center
    basic video
    no usb
    no sound
    no floppy

Boot for the splat ISO and hit enter within 90 seconds and follow the on screen options.icon_thumright.gif

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I have been thinking of putting together lab at work, partly for preparing for the exam, and also to try and learn the CLI some more (just use dashboard most of the time).

Is there much difference between R65 and R70? We are on 65 now, but probably jump to R70 with a few other upgrades next year (unless we buy ASAs that is :P )
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    I have been thinking of putting together lab at work, partly for preparing for the exam, and also to try and learn the CLI some more (just use dashboard most of the time).

Is there much difference between R65 and R70? We are on 65 now, but probably jump to R70 with a few other upgrades next year (unless we buy ASAs that is :P )

Smart Defense is now called IPS in R70 and licensing of products is a little different. The command line structure is about the same. Do your self a big favor and keep Check Point. The gui tools are the best thing about CP.

• devilson911devilson911 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□

Hi,

i want to build a hardware lab for CCSA study what do you recommend i dont like to use Vmware....
  • devilson911devilson911 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

i want to build a hardware lab for CCSA study what do you recommend i dont like to use Vmware....

any Help
    any Help

Sorry for the delay in this response, Been really busy finishing the CCSE Cbtnuggets series.

I would get a P4 desktop with two to three 10/100 network interface cards and install splat on the machine. You can get a demo of the software from checkpoint.com.

My CCSA Series will walk you through step by step on the install an config of a firewall & smart center (Mgmt)

• brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Hi Bob,

I've got a Nokia IP330 at home, it's been given to me last week. I haven't had much time to look at it yet but I think I can only load up to R60 on it.

I am more of a Cisco guy (ASA, PIX) and have very little experience with Checkpoint but was wondering how much difference there was between the R60 and the newer R65/70?

Is it worth me playing with the Nokia on R60 or should I invest and install R65 on splat.

I'm thinking of studying for my CCSA/CCSE as soon as I find some free time!

Thanks,

broc
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
    Looks like the evaluation of Checkpoint available is R70. I would like R65 if anyone knows where this can be downloaded.

Bob,

It looks like the only eval going on the Checkpoint site is R70. How much good will that do you if you are preparing for the current CCSA NGX exam? I was hoping to obtain R65 but no such luck.

On training there are a few 3rd party books out there and PDFs on the CP website. Boson do a practice test. Attending an expensive CP class is out of the question which is a shame because if I could get the course notes that would be all I would need.
    I would say you can get through CCSA NGX R65 easily with R70. There is not a whole lot changed on the front end from my experience, and according to the objectives I can't see you learning the 'wrong' things by using R70.

If you purchase the coursebooks (no idea where to get it, it came with my class), it comes with all of the software on disks. Ive even got an extra one if you reeeeally want it ;)

On a side note, R60 is already end of support, and R70 will have an exam/course out very soon. Depending on when you plan to take the exam, you might as well look into taking R70 anyway. Again, in my experience so far, R65 vs R70 is not a huge leap like Win2k to Win2k3 for example. More like, IOS 12.3 to 12.4
    On the topic of classes, they literally follow the coursebooks and IMO, not worth the cost.

If you can get your hands on the course books, all you need is a computer with VM server running, and you can run through all the labs and material in full.
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Thanks for the info GT-Rob.

I am in the same situation than Turgon, the course are way too expensive! I don't think there is any way to get the course book without doing a class... which is a big shame.

I knew that R60 was end of life but can you tell me if there is much difference between R60 and R65? Is playing with R60 a waste of time?
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    I would say you can get through CCSA NGX R65 easily with R70. There is not a whole lot changed on the front end from my experience, and according to the objectives I can't see you learning the 'wrong' things by using R70.

If you purchase the coursebooks (no idea where to get it, it came with my class), it comes with all of the software on disks. Ive even got an extra one if you reeeeally want it ;)

On a side note, R60 is already end of support, and R70 will have an exam/course out very soon. Depending on when you plan to take the exam, you might as well look into taking R70 anyway. Again, in my experience so far, R65 vs R70 is not a huge leap like Win2k to Win2k3 for example. More like, IOS 12.3 to 12.4

I have just got off the phone with a reseller who may be able to sort me out with an evaluation for R65. I have been working with Checkpoint since 4.1 but the cert was always a low priority. It would be useful to get CCSA in R65 to tick a box and I would rather get that for the moment as opposed to R70 in terms of work requirements out there. Will PM you.
    broc wrote: »
    Thanks for the info GT-Rob.

I am in the same situation than Turgon, the course are way too expensive! I don't think there is any way to get the course book without doing a class... which is a big shame.

I knew that R60 was end of life but can you tell me if there is much difference between R60 and R65? Is playing with R60 a waste of time?

Without having used R60, I would still say its worth playing with. Its a matter of using the smart center, and understanding how the policies are pushed to the firewalls, as well as things like database revisions, object managements, NAT, etc.

Just to note though, R70 is a FREE trial (15 day), which you can reuse over and over again, and the requirements are quite low (like, P3).

I have a feeling the book is hard to get because then no one would take the over priced course :P
    At the moment Im blasting Windows 2003 Server 30 day evaluation on a couple of Proliant G1s. I have an evaluation code for R65 and I have ordered a media kit. Meanwhile Im going to see if I can get R70 installed on one of these servers to be going on with. Have downloaded R70 and extracted. Not exactly sure what to burn to CD though..