Options

Hi all, new here.

coustaniscoustanis Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello to what looks like a good forum. I'm new here, name is coustanis.
I apologize if this first question is a bit long but I'm confused.

I'm about to register for the COMP TIA A+ prep course at a local community college that starts in about three months, February of 2010 to be exact. I want to start studying now.

The community college breaks the course into two parts, each about 4 months long.
They call them Tech Level 1 and Tech Level 2.

I'm confused as to how this all really works.
I see core and OS.
I see Essentials and Practical Application.
The sticky here says two parts...Essentials, exam number 220-701 but doesn't list the second part.
I see 220-602, 220-603, 220-604 blah, blah blah.

Then to top it all off I see that the whole shebang is going to change in Feb of 2010 with a 3 to 5 month lag in study material, right when I start .

Would some kind sole please explain to me how this all really works and tell me if I chose a bad time to start all this, what with the exam changes and all.

Thank you very much in advance,
-C

Edit: After downloading thw Objectives I get the impression that the Core, OS and 600 series exams are from 2006 and wouldn't apply to me as I would at least follow the 2009 (until they change if Feb 2010) Objectives. So it looks like the 701 Essentials and 702 Practical Applications are for me.
I'm still wondering about the impact of the exam change of Feb 2010 though.
Am I correct in all this.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    coustanis wrote: »
    Hello to what looks like a good forum. I'm new here, name is coustanis.
    I apologize if this first question is a bit long but I'm confused.

I'm about to register for the COMP TIA A+ prep course at a local community college that starts in about three months, February of 2010 to be exact. I want to start studying now.

The community college breaks the course into two parts, each about 4 months long.
    They call them Tech Level 1 and Tech Level 2.

I'm confused as to how this all really works.
    I see core and OS.
    I see Essentials and Practical Application.
    The sticky here says two parts...Essentials, exam number 220-701 but doesn't list the second part.
    I see 220-602, 220-603, 220-604 blah, blah blah.

Then to top it all off I see that the whole shebang is going to change in Feb of 2010 with a 3 to 5 month lag in study material, right when I start .

Would some kind sole please explain to me how this all really works and tell me if I chose a bad time to start all this, what with the exam changes and all.

Thank you very much in advance,
    -C

Edit: After downloading thw Objectives I get the impression that the Core, OS and 600 series exams are from 2006 and wouldn't apply to me as I would at least follow the 2009 (until they change if Feb 2010) Objectives. So it looks like the 701 Essentials and 702 Practical Applications are for me.
    I'm still wondering about the impact of the exam change of Feb 2010 though.
    Am I correct in all this.

Welcome to TE! I would look at Comptia's web site and compare the two exams. It will also give you dates, etc.

CompTIA A+

Good luck, if you have any questions the TE crowd is always friendly.
  • Options
    coustaniscoustanis Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE! I would look at Comptia's web site and compare the two exams. It will also give you dates, etc.

CompTIA A+

Good luck, if you have any questions the TE crowd is always friendly.

Ah, now I get it.
    I then called the community college where I will take the prep classes in Feb of 2010 and they say the session I am signed up for will be prepping for the 700 series exams.
    Their current session is for the 600 series.

Thank you.