SSCP Qualifications

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am wondering if by the end of the first year working for my new employer I might qualify for the SSCP. I currently install, setup, and troubleshoot:

Check Point Software: Welcome Pointsec and Reflex Magnetics Customers!

I also configure local rights on laptops. Nothing domain wide, by local user. If I do qualify I definitely plan to study for and knock off the SSCP as soon as I can :) I tried calling ISC2 through out the day but was unable to get anyone.

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Looks like you do qualify, but you can always email ISC(2) to confirm
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »

That would be very, very, cool. :D
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The (ISC)2 does not "pre-qualify" people for any of their certifications. You pass the exam and submit yourself for endorsement; only at that point will the (ISC)2 determine if you have the requisite experience. If you have at least of year of sysadmin or netadmin work experience then you'll pass the audit for SSCP.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The (ISC)2 does not "pre-qualify" people for any of their certifications. You pass the exam and submit yourself for endorsement; only at that point will the (ISC)2 determine if you have the requisite experience. If you have at least of year of sysadmin or netadmin work experience then you'll pass the audit for SSCP.

JD, my big concern is knowing whether or not I would have a good chance of by endorsed. I read your blog on the SSCP testing and I would hate to waste money if didn't work out.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JD, my big concern is knowing whether or not I would have a good chance of by endorsed. I read your blog on the SSCP testing and I would hate to waste money if didn't work out.

The worst that could happen is you becaome an associate of ISC have to wait a bit longer and then submit another endorsement form.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe you have two years to meet the requirements once you pass the exam.
    The two years does not sound to bad. My only problem would be that I am not in a directly security related job. I am Desktop Support Technician.

The other thing is the distance from the closest test center icon_rolleyes.gif 3hrs and 20mins.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The two years does not sound to bad. My only problem would be that I am not in a directly security related job. I am Desktop Support Technician.

The other thing is the distance from the closest test center icon_rolleyes.gif 3hrs and 20mins.

I still thinky you would qualify.

http://www.isc2.org/uploadedFiles/Credentials_and_Certifcation/SSCP/SSCP_for%20Practitioners.pdf
    GAngel wrote: »

I am going to try and get a hold of again...
    I thought I was never going to get a hold of anyone at ISC2 (For some reason I kept getting answering machines today and yesterday icon_scratch.gif.) I at last got someone :) I was told that what I have been doing should qualify. I think I might have to start studying and take the test after my first year at this place icon_wink.gif
    I thought I was never going to get a hold of anyone at ISC2 (For some reason I kept getting answering machines today and yesterday icon_scratch.gif.) I at last got someone :) I was told that what I have been doing should qualify. I think I might have to start studying and take the test after my first year at this place icon_wink.gif

Good to know !

I think you should finish the Security+ first :P

Good to know that sysadmin experience qualify !

Good to know !

I think you should finish the Security+ first :P

icon_lol.gif It's booked for the 17th of next month.

This whole thread started because I was surfing ISC2's web site Saturday. I realized you only needed 1 year of experience in one domain to qualify. That got me thinking about it.
    icon_lol.gif It's booked for the 17th of next month.

This whole thread started because I was surfing ISC2's web site Saturday. I realized you only needed 1 year of experience in one domain to qualify. That got me thinking about it.

yeah I saw the date..good luck ! I remember I postponed Sec+ like 5 times this year lol

Actually this thread got me thinking about SSCP too...why the hell not !

yeah I saw the date..good luck ! I remember I postponed Sec+ like 5 times this year lol

Actually this thread got me thinking about SSCP too...why the hell not !

What has me serious is being bored with my job. I do not like sitting and doing desktop support all day. I want to challenge my mind. I like the idea of an atmosphere that is constantly changing. Correct me if I am wrong, but Security sounds like the field.
    What has me serious is being bored with my job. I do not like sitting and doing desktop support all day. I want to challenge my mind. I like the idea of an atmosphere that is constantly changing. Correct me if I am wrong, but Security sounds like the field.

I totally know where you're coming from. I can't talk about security because I never worked directly in that field, other members might have better idea.

I'm interested in it because I need to seriously diversify my experience more :)

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The SSCP is aimed at people who are just out of college and with one year of security-related work experience in IT. What "security-related" means is rather loose for the SSCP. It's a way to get more people into the (ISC)2 family, so I can't see many IT people not getting accepted on their first try--especially with an endorsement from someone already SSCP- or CISSP-certified.

And yes, I would suggest getting the Security+ first and then the SSCP. If you already qualify for the CISSP, I would say that getting the SSCP is not necessary.
    The SSCP is aimed at people who are just out of college and with one year of security-related work experience in IT. What "security-related" means is rather loose for the SSCP. It's a way to get more people into the (ISC)2 family, so I can't see many IT people not getting accepted on their first try--especially with an endorsement from someone already SSCP- or CISSP-certified.

And yes, I would suggest getting the Security+ first and then the SSCP. If you already qualify for the CISSP, I would say that getting the SSCP is not necessary.

Thanks for the clue in JD. Hopefully in a year I can say I am headed towards testing for the cert :)
    Actually this thread got me thinking about SSCP too...

You on for seeing who can finish it first by the end of the next year? icon_study.gif
    You on for seeing who can finish it first by the end of the next year? icon_study.gif
    I'm in too.
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm in too.

Oh great, now I can't back out :)
    Weak. The only exam date close to me is 11/7/2009. I don't think I'm going to be ready by then. I might have to make a five-hour drive to Houston...

They list TX dates out through May, so I guess there's nothing else in LA in the foreseeable future...
    Weak. The only exam date close to me is 11/7/2009. I don't think I'm going to be ready by then. I might have to make a five-hour drive to Houston...

Dude! I may have to go to Atlanta icon_rolleyes.gif
    That's like half my trip. How did you expect to get sympathy for that? icon_lol.gif
    That's like half my trip. How did you expect to get sympathy for that? icon_lol.gif

It was more like an exclamation of frustration. Charleston is a nice tourist area, and Atlanta is well, Atlanta.

ummm...I'm not sure where my career is headed right now, and I might change jobs...so let's wait few months then we'll see ;)