Connecting with a ISC professional for a reference

mcgarglemcgargle Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am looking at getting CISSP certified. I have been in IT in one way or another for 13 years and I asked the nice folks at ISC about the "full time" verbage and they basically said since I have so many years (and 4 of the "get a single year knocked off" certs/degrees) of doing security as part (but not all) of my job that I should "estimate" the percentage.

Anyway, I have to say I don't know anyone personally who is already certified. So how does one go about finding someone who can attest to my experience and character if they have just met me?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Mike

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mcgargle wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking at getting CISSP certified. I have been in IT in one way or another for 13 years and I asked the nice folks at ISC about the "full time" verbage and they basically said since I have so many years (and 4 of the "get a single year knocked off" certs/degrees) of doing security as part (but not all) of my job that I should "estimate" the percentage.

Anyway, I have to say I don't know anyone personally who is already certified. So how does one go about finding someone who can attest to my experience and character if they have just met me?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Mike

Hi Mike! Welcome to TE!

Is there an ISSA group in your area? The Information Systems Security Association is a great place to meet people will the CISSP certification.

If not (ISC)2 will can endorse you by going through your background if you request it.
  • mcgarglemcgargle Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Mike! Welcome to TE!

Is there an ISSA group in your area? The Information Systems Security Association is a great place to meet people will the CISSP certification.

If not (ISC)2 will can endorse you by going through your background if you request it.

Thanks! Being out here in the sticks the closest chapter is 3 hours away but I am used to driving to find anything but cows (lots of them here).
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mcgargle wrote: »
    Thanks! Being out here in the sticks the closest chapter is 3 hours away but I am used to driving to find anything but cows (lots of them here).

Sounds like Indiana.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like Indiana.
    Or Wisconsin. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    yup, La Crosse WI
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought I read somewhere that you could hand in some signed document stating you could not find a cissp to vouch for you. At my last job as each person got theirs we took turns vouching for the other.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    mikej412 wrote: »
    No fair looking up IP addresses. icon_lol.gif
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that you could hand in some signed document stating you could not find a cissp to vouch for you. At my last job as each person got theirs we took turns vouching for the other.
    I asked them about that and they said it was a possibility but stressed that an endorsement was better.

My question is "if I am just finding someone to endorse me that I have never meet how can they vouch for my experience?"

I mean I am a likable guy and all but if the purpose is to vouch for a candidates character how can they if they just meet me?

I think I would rather do the “documented Experience” route since at least those folks will have known me while I was doing the work.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I have endorsed CISSP candidates that I did not know personally because I was able to sit down with them over lunch, look over their resume, and talk with them about their InfoSec experience. It was part job interview and part talking about our mutual crazy experiences in the IT profession. This type of discourse tells me if someone has the InfoSec experience worthy of the CISSP certification.

And no, it's not ethical if the endorsement candidate buys me lunch. icon_lol.gif
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I have endorsed CISSP candidates that I did not know personally because I was able to sit down with them over lunch, look over their resume, and talk with them about their InfoSec experience. It was part job interview and part talking about our mutual crazy experiences in the IT profession. This type of discourse tells me if someone has the InfoSec experience worthy of the CISSP certification.

And no, it's not ethical if the endorsement candidate buys me lunch. icon_lol.gif

How about a long phone conversation? California is a long way from Wisconsin! icon_cool.gif

I took the test on the 20th. And like most I am not sure I did well enough to pass but hey! The testing GODs may have been smiling on me that day!