CCNA on Saturday

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Well Im going to take the 802 on saturday. I feel like im ready (getting 75-85 percent on practice exams) and I am going to lab my ass off for the next few days. I plan to start CCNA:S, L+, and S+ studies on saturday.

Any last minute things I should go over guys and girls?

Comments

• eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hi,

Sound like you have covered all the topics for the exam, just one thing, go over how configure NAT, very important topic (i better stop here).

Good Luck. icon_thumright.gif
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Good luck on your test man, let us know how it goes! I would review subnetting NAT/PAT, ACL's just hit it all so it's fresh in your mind. Read, read answers, re-read the question, pick the answers and don't spend too much time on a SIM and you'll be fine!
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well Im gearing up for the big test. I think I will do a little wan configuration and possibly some switching before I go
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    knwminus wrote: »
    Well Im gearing up for the big test. I think I will do a little wan configuration and possibly some switching before I go

You can dooooooooooooo it......icon_cheers.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    You can do it, just remember focus, read the question, read the answers, re-read the question, pick your answers. Don't spend too much time on the labs if you can't get it right. Do the best you can and move on. Hit anything you feel you can't recall to memory before leaving. Good luck and let us know the results :)
    Well Im back. Needed 825 and I got a 748. I'm a little mad about it especially the test itself. There were a few questions that I made small mistakes on. I think I will pound the books and lab for 2 weeks and give it a go in november. This is gonna put my further behind DynamiK icon_redface.gif (no one tell him.. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif) but I think I can get 'er done in 2 weeks. I am going to get transcender today and plow through this book on my weak areas, especially wan stuff.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Sorry you failed. Better luck next time.

Ps. You should edit your post to remove the information about the SIM you had, that's against the NDA.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2 weeks is about right for 75 points -- but we're going to expect you to be 75 points the other way (900+).

Remember that there is "luck of the draw" on the questions. Some topic you killed this time may have just been a few "powder puff questions" and next time you'll get the "pack of rabid ferret questions" on the topic. icon_eek.gif So make sure you study & review the stuff you did good on (to keep what you got) -- and then study even harder for the stuff that kicked your butt this time (and hope these were the "pack of rabid ferret questions") and be prepared to make up lots of points on these topics next test (and hope you get the "fluffy bunny questions" on these topics next time).

While you may not see many of the same questions again -- you may see some. So it's worth your time to make sure you fill in any gaps you can remember from the exam.

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    2 weeks is about right for 75 points -- but we're going to expect you to be 75 points the other way (900+).

Remember that there is "luck of the draw" on the questions. Some topic you killed this time may have just been a few "powder puff questions" and next time you'll get the "pack of rabid ferret questions" on the topic. icon_eek.gif So make sure you study & review the stuff you did good on (to keep what you got) -- and then study even harder for the stuff that kicked your butt this time (and hope these were the "pack of rabid ferret questions") and be prepared to make up lots of points on these topics next test (and hope you get the "fluffy bunny questions" on these topics next time).

While you may not see many of the same questions again -- you may see some. So it's worth your time to make sure you fill in any gaps you can remember from the exam.

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif

Thanks and sorry about the sim issue. You beat me to the edit.
    Im was really mad because I thought I had this but oh well.

This experience has taught he a few things:
    A: Networking is gonna be tough
    B: I need to focus my studies
    C: I will not be able to do the CCNP in 6 months, It will probably take me all of next year
    D: That I can do this I just need to push a little harder.

Ultimately I think that it may not be able to get the ccna:S by the end of the year (I may go until January) but that is ok with me (I guess....). At any rate, I was relatively close and I need to spend about 2 (maybe 3 weeks tops) studying to get over the hump. Hopefully I can get this done within 2 weeks and then pick up CCNA:S and kill it before the end of the year. We will see.

Something else I did, I took the time fixed dates off some of my certs. This whole week I wanted to move the ccna until next satuday but I didn't because of A: People at work saying do it now, B: My own pride. I honestly havent did a good study session in over a month. Now I have done some labbing but that apparently wasn't enough. I think I need to study random facts about certain things (Im not sure I can say for NDA). I may take 3 weeks since the coming week I have to work 4 10s and 1 8. At any rate I am going to be done with this soon.
    Keep your head up. Just hit the books in your week areas, take it again, and you will pass! Make sure you have a few good study sessions before the next attempt and you will do fine. It always seems like they put something on there and you go "A duh?" It happened to me on one of my sims. CCNP is definitely no joke. You have four different exams currently which is four different books to read. I'm going to attempt my BCMSN on December 10, 2009. A lot of it has been review but there is definitely a lot of new stuff as well. As far as I have heard the monster is the BSCI. You want to make sure you pass and also, make sure that you maintain the material and grasp it. Because if you study just to pass, then if you forget a lot of stuff, it isn't going to do you any good in the long run.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I might show a little empathy if you'd ever spell my name right ;)

I don't think I'm going to shoot for NP/SP by the end of 2010. I have an opportunity to do some SANS certs, so I think I'm going shoot for CCNA:S in 2009, CCNP in 2010, and CCSP in 2011. I could probably do it, but I'm finding that I prefer to do Cisco stuff in moderation. The security stuff might be better, but R&S doesn't really hold my attention. I don't want to skip it though since it is the foundation for everything else...
    This all shows why there are so many paths to choose from :0 we are all different. So far I love R&S and it has grabbed ahold of me :0 I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!!!
    dynamik wrote: »
    I might show a little empathy if you'd ever spell my name right ;)

I don't think I'm going to shoot for NP/SP by the end of 2010. I have an opportunity to do some SANS certs, so I think I'm going shoot for CCNA:S in 2009, CCNP in 2010, and CCSP in 2011. I could probably do it, but I'm finding that I prefer to do Cisco stuff in moderation. The security stuff might be better, but R&S doesn't really hold my attention. I don't want to skip it though since it is the foundation for everything else...

I have found this CCNA stuff boring as hell. Like honestly I think I would do better on CCNP test (I started to look at videos on ISCW a while back and they seemed cool) because I could focus on very few technologies and go into greater detail rather than be all over the place. I am hoping (for real this time) to get the CCNA in 3 weeks and maybe CCNA:S in December or early January and start the Linux+/Security+/CCNP run next year (I have a class I have to take for linux so really my self studies would be Security+/CCNP and maybe CWNA, since I have a class for that as well).

The more I think about it, the less I know what I want to do. I would really like to get into linux (I had a fun shell password recovery experience for Ubuntu the other day) but my job (and school ) are forcing me towards network engineering. Oh well. I am going to download transcender later, make a study plan, and (hopefully) pound these books for a few hours, then the labs a few more.
  • abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think the CCNA Security is still within reach by the end of the year. The CCNA Security is by FAR easier than the CCNA. You will touch on topics that will still be fresh in your mind from passing the CCNA and I'm sure you will find the Cisco SDM (which is featured heavily on the exam) to be very intuitive. Good luck
    A master at anything was once a beginner
    abhustler wrote: »
    I think the CCNA Security is still within reach by the end of the year. The CCNA Security is by FAR easier than the CCNA. You will touch on topics that will still be fresh in your mind from passing the CCNA and I'm sure you will find the Cisco SDM (which is featured heavily on the exam) to be very intutive. Good luck

I hope so. I just want to take it in stride. Hopefully I want get the CCNA+CCNA:S by the end of the year (so that I can look good on my 90 day evaulation with my job at the end of the year). Honestly I did really well (and I was most interested in) security (during the CCNA and my studies) so I think I will take to CCNA:S well. I actually do have the SDM installed on my routers and (like you said) it is very easy to use. Very slick.

Im going to go balls to the walls for the Next 2 months to get this done while im not in school. Hopefully I can rack up 3-4 hour days (weekdays) and 6 hours plus (weekends). I have plans to dive much much deeper into linux and ccnp studies next year but right now, I only want to worry about the 2 NA level certs.
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    better luck next time. Dont feel bad. I failed the ICND 1 Exam Twice but I ultimately beat it.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
    human151 wrote: »
    better luck next time. Dont feel bad. I failed the ICND 1 Exam Twice but I ultimately beat it.

Thanks. I know I can beat this thing. I just downloaded transcender and im going to go all out for about 3 weeks and take it again on the 21st (the day before my birthday). So this will be a birthday gift to my self.
    Im going to use this thread to help me keep track of my studies, so don't mind me these next notes are just for me, but feel free to read them.

All routers will run EIGRP or OSPF alternating between days unless specified.
    All routers will run ipv4, until specified.
    All routers will use back to back configuration of Frame Relay and other Wan technologies, unless specified.
    All configurations will be cleared before I go to bed to help with repetition and retention, although I may build a standard config for the routers as time goes on.
    My goal for the CCNA score: 925+

Monday November 2nd: NAT/ACL
    Reread study guide chapters: [X]
    Review videos on ACLS and NAT: [X]
    Configure NAT at least 10 times and 10 different ways :[ ]
    Configure 10 different ACLS (5 standard, 5 extended) : [ ]
    Transcender test on NAT/ACL score : [ 62%/25/40 ] - found to be much much harder than the actual test
    Transcender test Full score: [ 67%] - found to ask questions I about information I did not come across in my studies
    Subnetting questions at least 10: [ ]

Notes:
    ACL:
    I had forgotten about distributes list, which are ACLs applied to routing protocols. I will lab this out when I am labbing ACLs. Also I haven't applied an ACL to a line in quite a while so this will be something I do as well.
    IP standard: Destination 1-99, 1300-1999
    IP extended: Source 100-199, 2000-2699
    I haven't used switchport ACLs in a while so I will create some when I do switching on Thursday.
    Time based ACLs/Reflexitive ACLs/Lock and Key ACLs: I have never used. These seem to be beyond the CCNA level and they will be the subject of some research in the future. I may go into these directlty after I am done with the CCNA.
    At some point I need to set up either RADIUS or TACACS on my boxes, along with NTP (which I will use the Time based ACLS with).
    Monitoring ACL commands: Show Access-list, Show ip access-list, sh ip int , sh run , sh mac access-group

NAT/PAT:
    Static, Dynamic, Overloading
    local= before NAT, global= after NAT
    Monitoring commands: sh ip nat trans, debug ip nat
    Others: ip nat translation mac-entries, clear ip nat translations, sh ip nat stat

Tuesday November 3rd: Wan

Reread study guide chapters: [ ]
    Review videos on WAN: [ ]
    Configure WAN Technologies 6 Times Each: [ ]
    - 3 times back to back, 3 times using FR switch
    Transender Test on WAN: [ ]
    Transcender test on NAT/ACL score : [ ]
    Transcender test Full score: [ ]
    Subnetting questions at least 25: [ ]

Notes:

Wed November 4th: VLANS/SWITCHING
    Review videos on VLANS/SWITCHING: [ ]
    Configure 5 VLANS and STP PORTS: [ ]
    Configure WAN Technologies 5 Times Each: [ ]
    Transcender Test on VLANS/SWITCHING : [ ]
    Transcender Test on WAN: [ ]

Notes:
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    knwminus wrote: »
    Im going to use this thread to help me keep track of my studies, so don't mind me these next notes are just for me, but feel free to read them.

All routers will run EIGRP or OSPF alternating between days unless specified.
    All routers will run ipv4, until specified.
    All routers will use back to back configuration of Frame Relay and other Wan technologies, unless specified.
    All configurations will be cleared before I go to bed to help with repetition and retention, although I may build a standard config for the routers as time goes on.
    My goal for the CCNA score: 925+

Monday November 2nd: NAT/ACL

Review videos on ACLS and NAT: [ ]

Notes:

Tuesday November 3rd: Wan

Review videos on WAN: [ ]
    Configure WAN Technologies 6 Times Each: [ ]
    - 3 times back to back, 3 times using FR switch
    Transender Test on WAN: [ ]

Notes:

Wed November 4th: VLANS/SWITCHING
    Review videos on VLANS/SWITCHING: [ ]
    Configure 5 VLANS and STP PORTS: [ ]
    Configure WAN Technologies 5 Times Each: [ ]
    Transcender Test on VLANS/SWITCHING : [ ]
    Transcender Test on WAN: [ ]

Notes:

Looks good that study plan!

Can I ask where you got it from or is it something you devloped yourslef? I have my 802 exam 2 weeks time but worried iam not studying correctly?

thanks

kev
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
    kevin31 wrote: »
    Looks good that study plan!

Can I ask where you got it from or is it something you devloped yourslef? I have my 802 exam 2 weeks time but worried iam not studying correctly?

thanks

kev

Subnetting I do in 2 parts: 1 is subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
    I will go on that site and do some questions.
    The second is during my actual router configuration. I will try to switch up ip addressing schemes, networks, and I try to practice summary routes during my configs as well.