the smtp address already in use - Public Folder

Hi Guys,

I have this problem when someone requested to create a distribution list with preferred email address. When i add the email address manually i received an error that "the smtp address already in use". I can't resolved the address in outlook and i received NDR when sending to the smtp address. I suspect that the address is attached to a mail enabled public folder that is hidden in GAL.

Question is how to know the path of the public folder that has the smtp address.

Thanks in advance.
"...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I doubt it's a public folder. Rather, it's probably a contact that had a secondary address applied to it by an address policy. Do a search in the All Contacts section of your address book (which will search the online GAL rather than the offline address list) for a contact with the same name as the distribution list email address you are trying to create.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010?
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • allylaurenteallylaurente Member Posts: 131
    @claymore. Its a public folder. I can see that the smtp is attached to a public folder by doing a custom search LDAP proxyaddresses=smtp:abcd@domain.com. My problem is the path is not showing in ADUC. I want to know if there is an easy way to know the path. Though i can see the path by searching the public folder in outlook but we are talking about almost 40 PF servers globally... so its needs a long wait.

@Chivalry1 - its 2003
    "...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    @claymore. Its a public folder. I can see that the smtp is attached to a public folder by doing a custom search LDAP proxyaddresses=smtp:abcd@domain.com. My problem is the path is not showing in ADUC. I want to know if there is an easy way to know the path. Though i can see the path by searching the public folder in outlook but we are talking about almost 40 PF servers globally... so its needs a long wait.

@Chivalry1 - its 2003

Use the quest AD PowerShell cmdlets...

Don't have anything handy to test this on, but it should work.

get-qadobject -ldapfilter (proxyAddresses=smtp:user@domain.com) -includeallproperties | select *path*
    Good luck to all!