Oracle?

ronzillaronzilla Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
why no oracle forums?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Probably due to a lack of activity. I can't remember the last time I even saw an Oracle post. It doesn't make a lot of sense to create a dedicated forum for a topic that will only have a few posts per year. If it ever picks up, I'm sure the powers that be will create a forum for it, just like everything else.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Probably due to a lack of activity. I can't remember the last time I even saw an Oracle post. It doesn't make a lot of sense to create a dedicated forum for a topic that will only have a few posts per year. If it ever picks up, I'm sure the powers that be will create a forum for it, just like everything else.

A lot of OCA/SCSAs might pick up in the coming months (when the ORACLE-SUN deal goes through).
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I think if there's an Oracle forum, new people will sign up and start participating.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I think if there's an Oracle forum, new people will sign up and start participating.
    that is probably true
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would certainly be willing to participate. But maybe it might be better to have a general SQL forum in the same way there is no VMWare forum and no Hyper-V forum? I don't know...
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    But maybe it might be better to have a general SQL forum ...

Agreed 10x.
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I would certainly be willing to participate. But maybe it might be better to have a general SQL forum in the same way there is no VMWare forum and no Hyper-V forum? I don't know...

I like that idea. MySQL is becoming a bigger and bigger part of my job.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Agreed 10x.

Agreed. It would be cool to have a sql area.
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would like to start studying SQL I have no idea about would like to know where to start.
    Free Reading : History Books
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would like to start studying SQL I have no idea about would like to know where to start.

I pretty much taught myself t-sql in about a week. If you have a vm, throw sql express on there and start learning. Once you understand basic syntax and commands, its pretty intuitive from there.

Here is an example of a basic query:
    SELECT		cases.case_number, cases.style, sum(acct_transaction.amount) as Amount
    FROM		acct_banktran INNER JOIN
    			acct_bank ON acct_banktran.bankaccount_sk = acct_bank.BankAccount_sk RIGHT OUTER JOIN
    			acct_transaction ON acct_banktran.banktran_sk = acct_transaction.banktran_sk RIGHT OUTER JOIN
    			cases ON acct_transaction.case_sk = cases.case_sk
    WHERE		(acct_transaction.trans_type = 't') AND (acct_bank.Description LIKE 'AZ%') AND (acct_transaction.eff_date > '2009-06-15')
    			AND (acct_bank.Description = 'WFB Trust 2009' OR acct_bank.Description = 'WFB Trust 2008')
    GROUP BY	cases.case_number, cases.style, acct_transaction.trans_type, cases.case_sk
    ORDER BY	cases.style, cases.case_number

I did this years ago. Try looking here:

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Go look under the SQL tutorials and go from there. Pick up a a "...in 24 hours book".

Also grab a copy of oracle/sqlexpress/mysql and start going.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I'm also interested in a SQL forum, I'm going to take a class on it soon.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Those are for MS SQL Server so many people who want to post on Oracle would not even bother. But it might just be a question of renaming it something like

SQL Database Exams - Oracle (9i, 10g, 11g) MS SQL Server (2000, 2005, 2008.) MySQL
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    We'd like to keep the MS exams in the Microsoft certs section, but do prefer a separate forum per cert vendor/cert (and if popular per exam even), rather than forums for technologies. The Virtualization forum is an obvious exception so it's not set in stone either but in this case we can add a MySQL certs forum to the Others category and see later next year if it's worth keeping. Or give Sun their own category with Java and MySQL and then rename it to Oracle later on. I'll give it some more thought and discuss it with JD tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions!