question

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings All:

Today I have made an interesting decision. By the year 2013 I want to obtain a CCIE in Security. Now I know this is a very tall order (a little more than 2 years to obtain a test of that level) is crazy but it is what I want to do. I have read http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/36057-ccie-sec-lab-diary-how-make-ahriakins-brain-implode.html completely and I feel this is something I can do. There are also a few CCIEs (and CCIE canidates) at work who said they are willing to help me along the way (apparently no one has walked up to them and said hey, I want what you got, can you tell me how icon_lol.gif). I feel like I can do it and I know it is crazy but I feel like I WILL do it, but my question is for (those with CCIES or working towards, or if you are a cisco god...MIKE) is how to get to that level (without **** or bootcamps) in such a time period. (For those with CCIEs) how long were you working with cisco gear before you decided that you wanted to go for the Gold.

I know this may be way premature and all but I was just curious what some other people who have done it think. I work at one of the largest cisco partners in the midwest and they are pushing everyone to get to at least NP level so more than likely CCNP/CCSP will be my goals. After that I want to do CCIE:S.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're already ahead of the game if your working at one of the largest Cisco Partners in the midwest. Take advantage of all the opportunities you can get there -- and all the training and partner eLearning.

If you average about 2 hours a day studying for the CCIE -- and then some weekend days closer to your target for the full practice labs -- that should work. You might even be able to "overlap" some of the study time and count it towards both the CCNA:Security, CCSP, CCIE Security Written, and then your Lab preparation. If you can use work downtime to study the non-CCIE topics and some of your CCIE prep, that's even better.

Then the only thing else you need is focus -- and "buy in" and support from your family, friends, work, coworkers, and assorted people you probably haven't met yet.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Greetings All:

Today I have made an interesting decision. By the year 2013 I want to obtain a CCIE in Security. Now I know this is a very tall order (a little more than 2 years to obtain a test of that level) is crazy but it is what I want to do. I have read http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/36057-ccie-sec-lab-diary-how-make-ahriakins-brain-implode.html completely and I feel this is something I can do. There are also a few CCIEs (and CCIE canidates) at work who said they are willing to help me along the way (apparently no one has walked up to them and said hey, I want what you got, can you tell me how icon_lol.gif). I feel like I can do it and I know it is crazy but I feel like I WILL do it, but my question is for (those with CCIES or working towards, or if you are a cisco god...MIKE) is how to get to that level (without **** or bootcamps) in such a time period. (For those with CCIEs) how long were you working with cisco gear before you decided that you wanted to go for the Gold.

I know this may be way premature and all but I was just curious what some other people who have done it think. I work at one of the largest cisco partners in the midwest and they are pushing everyone to get to at least NP level so more than likely CCNP/CCSP will be my goals. After that I want to do CCIE:S.

The biggest thing is time. The more time you can put in each day the better your chances of completing the track.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »

My true goal is to get it done by 2012 but since I will more than likely be enrolled in a BSCS program at that point, 2013 gives me some breathing room. If I were you, (the murderer of all certifications) I probably could get it done but since I have the stuff in my sig, plus the CCIE, plus the degrees and the future BSCS, it might not be possible in that time period icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif.

In all seriousness, I think the most important part is learning the material so I want to get it done in 2012 but if it takes me till 2013 and I am a "better" CCIE then I am good. My goal is to achieve my BSCS, CCIE, and RHCSS all by 2013 or so. I am having my doubts about the value of the sun certs but that is another thread....
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If you average about 2 hours a day studying for the CCIE -- and then some weekend days closer to your target for the full practice labs -- that should work. You might even be able to "overlap" some of the study time and count it towards both the CCNA:Security, CCSP, CCIE Security Written, and then your Lab preparation. If you can use work downtime to study the non-CCIE topics and some of your CCIE prep, that's even better.

Then the only thing else you need is focus -- and "buy in" and support from your family, friends, work, coworkers, and assorted people you probably haven't met yet.

My wife is down for the cause and that is really all that matters. My thing is , I don't want to be a noc monkey forever. We have people who have been working in the noc for 6 years and that contradicts my plans to be a millionaire by the time I am 30 icon_wink.gif
    Turgon wrote: »
    The biggest thing is time. The more time you can put in each day the better your chances of completing the track.

I know. I read your post semi-regularly and it seems time is VERY important (or actually the lack there of). That is something I will just have to manager and hope for the best.

At any rate, I have read where many CCIE:S do CCNA(CCNA:S)>>CCSP>>CCIE. I am not sure this will be the best route for me.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd suggest starting with Doyle (both volumes) -- they are on the list, and if you don't understand the network you can't really secure it. And don't forget the hands on lab practice to go along with the reading.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd suggest starting with Doyle (both volumes) -- they are on the list, and if you don't understand the network you can't really secure it. And don't forget the hands on lab practice to go along with the reading.

+1 for the Doyle books. A must read for anyone planning to do the CCIE or just wanting an in depth understanding of routing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

I actually am going to order those books (along with Darrils book and Network Warrior, no more library copies for me) Friday.
    My true goal is to get it done by 2012 but since I will more than likely be enrolled in a BSCS program at that point, 2013 gives me some breathing room. If I were you, (the murderer of all certifications) I probably could get it done but since I have the stuff in my sig, plus the CCIE, plus the degrees and the future BSCS, it might not be possible in that time period icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif.

In all seriousness, I think the most important part is learning the material so I want to get it done in 2012 but if it takes me till 2013 and I am a "better" CCIE then I am good. My goal is to achieve my BSCS, CCIE, and RHCSS all by 2013 or so. I am having my doubts about the value of the sun certs but that is another thread....

My wife is down for the cause and that is really all that matters. My thing is , I don't want to be a noc monkey forever. We have people who have been working in the noc for 6 years and that contradicts my plans to be a millionaire by the time I am 30 icon_wink.gif

I know. I read your post semi-regularly and it seems time is VERY important (or actually the lack there of). That is something I will just have to manager and hope for the best.

At any rate, I have read where many CCIE:S do CCNA(CCNA:S)>>CCSP>>CCIE. I am not sure this will be the best route for me.

You will be fine. The important thing is to find a routine that works for you and stick to it. You can try and tramp through the whole thing inside a year or you can take your time over things. Each approach presents it's own peculiar challenges but the process is similar. Mr D cleared inside a year with a good theoretical foundation going in with his other certs and more power to him.

Mine were off the pace and I had some brushing up to do. But he still amassed over 1000 hours of configuration time. That's a *lot* of work to get through in a year and you have to find the time to do it. Making time can be difficult and if you push ahead too hard boredom and fatigue can set in. On the other hand if regular lengthy study sessions are difficult and you go for a longer burn such as I did, recall can be hard because it takes a lot of elasped time to get around the subjects and return to them again. Motivation is difficult too. I think the hardest thing for me was realising late 2008 that at the rate I was covering material and with what I had ahead of me I was looking at at least another year of studying this thing. I was on it nearly everyday at that stage but not getting the 3 - 4 hour rack sessions in and the full weekends. It's a bitter pill to swallow that but I managed to keep at it and will hit the 1000 hour mark in due course. I will take the new lab next year.

It's a personal thing. Just find what works for you!
    Turgon wrote: »
    You will be fine. The important thing is to find a routine that works for you and stick to it. You can try and tramp through the whole thing inside a year or you can take your time over things. Each approach presents it's own peculiar challenges but the process is similar. Mr D cleared inside a year with a good theoretical foundation going in with his other certs and more power to him.

Mine were off the pace and I had some brushing up to do. But he still amassed over 1000 hours of configuration time. That's a *lot* of work to get through in a year and you have to find the time to do it. Making time can be difficult and if you push ahead too hard boredom and fatigue can set in. On the other hand if regular lengthy study sessions are difficult and you go for a longer burn such as I did, recall can be hard because it takes a lot of elasped time to get around the subjects and return to them again. Motivation is difficult too. I think the hardest thing for me was realising late 2008 that at the rate I was covering material and with what I had ahead of me I was looking at at least another year of studying this thing. I was on it nearly everyday at that stage but not getting the 3 - 4 hour rack sessions in and the full weekends. It's a bitter pill to swallow that but I managed to keep at it and will hit the 1000 hour mark in due course. I will take the new lab next year.

It's a personal thing. Just find what works for you!

I think my thing will not be time, but motivation. I know that the CCIE is important but it seems so far away. I just passed my CCNA for goodness sake. But I want my number (and my analyst number for the GCUX) so I will kill what little social life I have (who needs friends anyway), buckle down with the my wife and focus on my objectives. No kids so none of that to deal with. I want to be thee CCIE:S for the Tristate region and thee Linux GOD for Tristate region. From there the world. But first I need to fill myself with the knowledge of the universe.
    icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

I feel better knowing that it has been done before, so it can be done again and who else better to do it than knwminus. So look out, I will be 25 with a CCIE, RHCSS, SCSECA, GCUX, BSCS and an A+ certification lol icon_thumright.gif. After this string, I will probably take a 6 months, year off..maybe.

Now if you excuse me, I need to go study.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    knwminus I noticed you're around my age, I'll race ya! You'll probably beat me though because I think I'm going the CCVP route after CCNP before moving forward. The company I'm at now is just about all VoIP so it wouldn't make since not to learn it.

P.S. appreciate the Facebook add it'll be good to post stuff on there and have someone actually know what I'm talkin about.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
    stlsmoore wrote: »
    knwminus I noticed you're around my age, I'll race ya! You'll probably beat me though because I think I'm going the CCVP route after CCNP before moving forward. The company I'm at now is just about all VoIP so it wouldn't make since not to learn it.

IT is on icon_thumright.gif. Are you racing me to CCIE:S or CCNP/CCSP (or just a pro level/expert level cert in general)? At any rate that is fine with me. I actually learned something about Eigrp I didn't know by reviewing your blog so big ups on that.
    P.S. appreciate the Facebook add it'll be good to post stuff on there and have someone actually know what I'm talkin about.

I know what you mean. IT people = < 0 on facebook. I know maybe 3 people who are kind of serious about IT on FB. Networking in that regard is hard to come by.
    I think my thing will not be time, but motivation. I know that the CCIE is important but it seems so far away. I just passed my CCNA for goodness sake. But I want my number (and my analyst number for the GCUX) so I will kill what little social life I have (who needs friends anyway), buckle down with the my wife and focus on my objectives. No kids so none of that to deal with. I want to be thee CCIE:S for the Tristate region and thee Linux GOD for Tristate region. From there the world. But first I need to fill myself with the knowledge of the universe.
    icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

I feel better knowing that it has been done before, so it can be done again and who else better to do it than knwminus. So look out, I will be 25 with a CCIE, RHCSS, SCSECA, GCUX, BSCS and an A+ certification lol icon_thumright.gif. After this string, I will probably take a 6 months, year off..maybe.

Now if you excuse me, I need to go study.

Yes. It's not always easy or practical to lock yourself away for long periods of study when you have children, particularly if they are very small as you are needed at home. Good luck with the journey!
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IT is on icon_thumright.gif. Are you racing me to CCIE:S or CCNP/CCSP (or just a pro level/expert level cert in general)? At any rate that is fine with me. I actually learned something about Eigrp I didn't know by reviewing your blog so big ups on that.

Yea I'm not even positive if or when I'm going the CCIE route, I might back track and pick up a few Juniper exams too. I'm also hoping to eventually turn this networking knowledge into a business one day so we'll see how the CCIE fits into my future plans lol.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
    Yea I'm not even positive if or when I'm going the CCIE route, I might back track and pick up a few Juniper exams too. I'm also hoping to eventually turn this networking knowledge into a business one day so we'll see how the CCIE fits into my future plans lol.

Thats cool. Still good to see someone else young and with goals. Not alot of that going around.